Tyler Wells confirmed as a tandem starter

interloper

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not saying that but way to be over dramatic.

The question was being asked about what tandem Is or who follows who or whatever.  I’m just saying it doesn’t really matter.  It’s just a means to the end for the time being.  

What does matter is who will they ask to throw the multiple innings and how they perform for the long term of the season.

Your mention of Lyles confused me.

To me a starter is expected to good 5 innings or more.   Or try to.    A tamden starter is expected to go multiple innings but less than 5.  That is what I think they expect of T Wells to begin the season.

Zimmerman, T Wells and either Kremer or Lowther would be tandem starters to begin the season.

What makes it a tandem is the guy that follows also goes multiple innings.   Kremer/Lowther,  Lopez or Baumann make sense for that.   So far I am not sure Akins does.   He only controls the fastball.   So he is only likely to go one inning plus.   I think Akin's best chance to make the team is as a one inning reliever.   JMO

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

To me a starter is expected to good 5 innings or more.   Or try to.    A tamden starter is expected to go multiple innings but less than 5.  That is what I think they expect of T Wells to begin the season.

Zimmerman, T Wells and either Kremer or Lowther would be tandem starters to begin the season.

What makes it a tandem is the guy the follows also goes multiple innings.   Kremer/Lowther,  Lopez or Baumann make sense for that.   So far I am not sure Akins does.   He only controls the fastball.   So he is only likely to go one inning plus.   I think Akin's best chance to make the team is as a one inning reliever.   JMO

All of this will get worked out.

The important part is that every single one of these guys should be on the team and just let them go.

Bradish should be as well.

Once Wells is capable of going 5-6+ innings - hopefully regularly and effectively - they'll probably demote one of the tandem followers to a more traditional middle relief role of demote him.  And if Wells is initially expected to go only 3-4 innings, the follow up tandem pitcher isn't necessarily going to be the same guy every time.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Akin is controlling his slider today.  Even throwing the change up and curve for strikes.   The homers was on a change up middle, middle.    A good two innings though.

The change/slider looked good today I have to admit. But he also gave up some loud XBHs. I just don't believe in his ability to do anything consistently. It's easier to root for Lowther in so many ways.

Means, Lyles, and Wells could be decent.  But with Wells limited to 4 inning starts, maybe 5 later in the season, the back end of this rotation could really suck.  We're 2 1/2 starters short.  And Lyles should be #5, not #2.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Means, Lyles, and Wells could be decent.  But with Wells limited to 4 inning starts, maybe 5 later in the season, the back end of this rotation could really suck.  We're 2 1/2 starters short.  And Lyles should be #5, not #2.

Here’s what I want from Lyles: more innings than we got from Harvey, at a lower ERA.   That’s not asking too much.

• Upvote 1

To bad Lakins is doing Lakins stuff as today's tandem pitcher.  The second pitcher in this tandem, no matter who it is, has potential to doom this experiment.

Note:  Checked the game thread and saw that Lakins gave up three infield singles.  So he may not have pitched as poorly as I made it seem.  Just can't tell since I didn't have eyes on the plays.

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The group could look OK with Grayson and Bradish. I think we will see Bradish soon as Elias's most recent remarks suggest he is starting to run out of patience and evaluation time is running. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

The group could look OK with Grayson and Bradish. I think we will see Bradish soon as Elias's most recent remarks suggest he is starting to run out of patience and evaluation time is running. 

Absolutely.  If Rodriguez, Bradish and DL Hall make fairly early appearances and pitch well, this season could be better than many of us expect.  That's two pretty big IFs though.