Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

I’m off the Stowers bandwagon.  Don’t know if he’s a guess hitter and guesses wrong, doesn’t see pitches well enough to lay off them, or what.  But he strikes out way too often, at really inopportune times, to be helpful at the big league level, at least at this point. 

Really disappointing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, justD said:

I’m off the Stowers bandwagon.  Don’t know if he’s a guess hitter and guesses wrong, doesn’t see pitches well enough to lay off them, or what.  But he strikes out way too often, at really inopportune times, to be helpful at the big league level, at least at this point. 

Really disappointing. 

I feel that vibe.  Gonna give him a bit more time after last years showing but is quite disappointing.   

11 hours ago, justD said:

Really disappointing. 

I thought his k rate was way better to start the season than last year no? Looks like he's in a slump to me.

44 minutes ago, interloper said:

I thought his k rate was way better to start the season than last year no? Looks like he's in a slump to me.

It’s funny to me how many people were clamoring for Stowers and Westburg to get promoted after two good weeks, and now people are down on them after two bad weeks.  Not all the same people, but some overlap.   

Stowers first 11 games: 1.022 OPS, 8 K’s in 50 PA

Stowers next 10 games: .444 OPS, 12 K’s in 40 PA

I’m sure he’ll get out of his slump, but his history shows he’s strikeout prone.  

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s funny to me how many people were clamoring for Stowers and Westburg to get promoted after two good weeks, and now people are down on them after two bad weeks.  Not all the same people, but some overlap.   

I’m sure he’ll get out of his slump, but his history shows he’s strikeout prone.  

Although it appears to be a slump when looked at in this context, to me it appears to be returning to his norm, hence my quick jump off. 

4 hours ago, justD said:

Although it appears to be a slump when looked at in this context, to me it appears to be returning to his norm, hence my quick jump off. 

My comment wasn’t really directed at you, Denise.  I do think the last two weeks probably represent what we can expect from Stowers on K rate.  But hopefully with more hard contact when he’s not striking out.   

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

No offense to either you or D but we're talking about a guy with one full season so it's interesting to hear about getting back to his norm and his history.  He wasn't strikeout prone when he debuted in Aberdeen in 2019 but he certainly was last year.  I'm also not sure if one full year is enough to decide what his norm actually is.

What's Gunnar Henderson's norm?  Is 2021 his norm?   These guys are still developing.  I'm not sure they've developed a norm just yet.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Between Stowers, Cowser, and Westburg -- the youth movement has lost a lot of luster.

Eh, it's only been a matter of weeks. One good week and we're all hyped about these guys again. It's fair to be disappointed right now, but I think way too early to say they've lost their prospect luster. 

9 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Between Stowers, Cowser, and Westburg -- the youth movement has lost a lot of luster.

Sure. The first 2-3 weeks were very exciting starts particularly for Westburg and Stowers.  Time will tell.  At the same time, Henderson is emerging as less of a question mark and more of top 10 or 20 prospect in baseball kind of vibe.  Lots of ebbs and flows.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 12:42 AM, Yossarian said:

Westburg had a good week last week.   Stowers with a homer on Sunday and one in the first inning tonight.   Stay tuned.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I mean that is some really impressive power. Regardless of his K rate, this guy should be able to hit 30 home runs in his sleep. Will he be Joey Gallo though is the question