Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sounds like a hockey injury report.  

It does, and let's hope it's not an oblique. For an organization that claims their trainers are top notch, we sure have seen a lot of hamstring injuries and now a possible oblique injury with young players in their prime.

As of 4/21, the Orioles have 3 players on the ML injured list, Means, Kremer and Chirinos.  Only KC and StL have less with 2.  In our division, Boston has 8 (2 due to illness, possible COVID); New York 4; Tampa 9 and Toronto 5 (one due to illness).  I noted a large number of obliques and hamstrings across the board.  The high was 11 for the White Sox and Reds.  

We get so focused on the Orioles we fail to realize that our injury record is no worse than most other teams and is actually better than the vast majority.  Now this is ML, but I suspect that the results would be similar in the minors as well.  Plus, I would also suspect that from year to year and organization to organization, injuries are probably pretty random.  A small number of teams may be consistently better or consistently worse, but it doesn't look like the O's are particularly bad.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It does, and let's hope it's not an oblique. For an organization that claims their trainers are top notch, we sure have seen a lot of hamstring injuries and now a possible oblique injury with young players in their prime.

Kremer, Vavra and Diaz are on the 40 man, and they did say this kind of soft tissue injury would be a concern from the short spring. The work ups were shorter. With Stowers, we don’t even know what it is yet. I think this is normal for pro ball these days. The athletes are more dynamic than ever before.

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

As of 4/21, the Orioles have 3 players on the ML injured list, Means, Kremer and Chirinos.  Only KC and StL have less with 2.  In our division, Boston has 8 (2 due to illness, possible COVID); New York 4; Tampa 9 and Toronto 5 (one due to illness).  I noted a large number of obliques and hamstrings across the board.  The high was 11 for the White Sox and Reds.  

We get so focused on the Orioles we fail to realize that our injury record is no worse than most other teams and is actually better than the vast majority.  Now this is ML, but I suspect that the results would be similar in the minors as well.  Plus, I would also suspect that from year to year and organization to organization, injuries are probably pretty random.  A small number of teams may be consistently better or consistently worse, but it doesn't look like the O's are particularly bad.

Good work.  I used to update annually a thread called “injuries happen” that totaled up the IL days for every team in the AL East.  It certainly showed that we did not have an unusually high number number of injuries most years.  It’s always easy to say “we would have done better if we hadn’t had so many injuries” and to feel like your team is particularly unlucky or prone to injuries, but in truth, every team has them and the fluctuations up and down from one season to another are pretty random.  

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

No more than in any years past pre-Elias IMO. I think we pay much closer attention to minor league injuries right now because there are finally minor leaguers to care about - a LOT of them. And many of them are viewed as critical pieces. Couple that with a more aggressively conservative injury protocol from this regime, with a dash of not being very forthcoming about said injuries, and it all adds up to being suspicious of the trainers. I don't really think there's much real reason to blame the trainers though. Again, we are hyper-focused on any injury because it's the team we follow and there are so many interesting prospects in every level of the minors. 

The big league team has stayed relatively over the last two years. 

But if you look at the minor leagues right now we have a four of our top ten prospects either on the shelf or rehabbing in Sarasota:  Rutschman, Hall, Kjerstad, and now Stowers is out again.  In Rutschman's and Hall's cases it is especially frustrating, since they are so close to the big leagues but appear to be stuck in purgatory. 

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

No more than in any years past pre-Elias IMO. I think we pay much closer attention to minor league injuries right now because there are finally minor leaguers to care about - a LOT of them. And many of them are viewed as critical pieces. Couple that with a more aggressively conservative injury protocol from this regime, with a dash of not being very forthcoming about said injuries, and it all adds up to being suspicious of the trainers. I don't really think there's much real reason to blame the trainers though. Again, we are hyper-focused on any injury because it's the team we follow and there are so many interesting prospects in every level of the minors. 

Perhaps, but Elias/Blood fired all of them and intalled their own guys and there's no difference at best.

Just saying all this overly cuatious approach to handling players is doing nothing but giving them less experience of playing the game of baseball IMHO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

The big league team has stayed relatively over the last two years. 

But if you look at the minor leagues right now we have a four of our top ten prospects either on the shelf or rehabbing in Sarasota:  Rutschman, Hall, Kjerstad, and now Stowers is out again.  In Rutschman's and Hall's cases it is especially frustrating, since they are so close to the big leagues but appear to be stuck in purgatory. 

I only say this to make sure the info stays accurate - the first time he was out was due to a HBP, so if this is indeed a muscle injury of some sort it's his first this season. 

Hall is not technically injured, just being babied, if you like. Same with Rutschman at this point, who should be in games imminently. 

So... Vavra, Stowers, Kjerstad, and Brnovich are the main prospect injuries right now as I see it. Vavra seems low-grade, we don't know anything about Stowers yet, Kjerstad is out for at least another month probably, Brnovich might be headed for TJS until we hear otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...

1-5 tonight with an opposite field hard hit single. He's got 17 hits this year, 10 of which are XBH (7 doubles, 3 HR). 

I feel like he's been a bit unlucky more than anything, though he is also striking out at least once per game.