Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

There's no way he can sustain this but hoping he can be a little more consistent.    He does seem to be managing the strikeouts better so far this season compared to last which is also encouraging.

Stowers struck out about 32% of the time last year.   He's at 22% so far this year at Norfolk.  He was at 34% at Norfolk in limited time last year.   Last year, 40% of his hits went for extra bases.  So far this, year it's 62%!!!

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

As I recall, he started the season off really hot, missed some games because of a lat problem and never heated up again up until this week.   There's no way he can sustain this but hoping he can be a little more consistent.    He does seem to be managing the strikeouts better so far this season compared to last which is also encouraging.

Stowers struck out about 32% of the time last year.   He's at 22% so far this year at Norfolk.  He was at 34% at Norfolk in limited time last year.   Last year, 40% of his hits went for extra bases.  So far this, year it's 62%!!!

And his WOBA is at .401 and his HR/Fly ball rate is at 28.1% which is back to his AA numbers. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Stowers has always been a good hitter against lefties. That's one of the reason I liked him so much.

Saying that, what we've seen is that he can be very steaky. When he's on, he can carry a team, when he's off it's going to be a K fest. 

Over his last seven games he's been ungodly hot (.464/.559/1.214/1.773 w 6 HR, 6 BB and 6 K's in 3 PAs) finished off with his three homer game on Sunday.

People still underrate him but he's got a chance to be an impact everyday RFer. The problem right now is there is no place for him to play with Mancini and Santander still on the roster. The one thing I have noticed is the Orioles have been playing him CF a lot this year. He hasn't looked out of place but doesn't have the ideal footspeed that you would like out there. Saying that, he can be ok as a backup out there giving the Orioles more flexibility.

He’s not as fast or as good a defender as McKenna, but he seems to be the much better hitter.   I could see him playing the role of 4th OF who can play CF.  Ironically, the desire to keep Rutschman in the lineup every day by using him at DH or 1B will make it hard for the spare outfielders to get at bats because Mancini is forced to the OF when Rutschman isn’t catching.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

He’s not as fast or as good a defender as McKenna, but he seems to be the much better hitter.   I could see him playing the role of 4th OF who can play CF.  Ironically, the desire to keep Rutschman in the lineup every day by using him at DH or 1B will make it hard for the spare outfielders to get at bats because Mancini is forced to the OF when Rutschman isn’t catching.  

Won’t be an issue next year without Mancini. Mountcastle at 1B and DH some with AR going to 1B.  I really like Mancini, but I think his time as an Oriole is done. Just too many younger guys that his presence on the team takes at bats away. 

11 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Won’t be an issue next year without Mancini. Mountcastle at 1B and DH some with AR going to 1B.  I really like Mancini, but I think his time as an Oriole is done. Just too many younger guys that his presence on the team takes at bats away. 

Yeah, I’m just talking about this season.  

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Stowers has always been a good hitter against lefties. That's one of the reason I liked him so much.

Saying that, what we've seen is that he can be very steaky. When he's on, he can carry a team, when he's off it's going to be a K fest. 

Over his last seven games he's been ungodly hot (.464/.559/1.214/1.773 w 6 HR, 6 BB and 6 K's in 3 PAs) finished off with his three homer game on Sunday.

People still underrate him but he's got a chance to be an impact everyday RFer. The problem right now is there is no place for him to play with Mancini and Santander still on the roster. The one thing I have noticed is the Orioles have been playing him CF a lot this year. He hasn't looked out of place but doesn't have the ideal footspeed that you would like out there. Saying that, he can be ok as a backup out there giving the Orioles more flexibility.

So, Luke Scott? I'd be pretty happy with peak-Luke Scott.

• Upvote 1

The Top 10 ISO's in the International League YTD, Stowers 23% K-rate looks third-best.    Now Darick Hall and Vinnie Pasquantino are names I know.    Also 30-year-old Jon Singleton, because baseball is amazing.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2&stats=bat&qual=y&type=1&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=12,1

38 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The Jon Singleton who was a prospect with the Astros years ago?  Wow…

I believe he signed a long term contract before he was called up or shortly thereafter.   Someone miscalculated that one.

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I believe he signed a long term contract before he was called up or shortly thereafter.   Someone miscalculated that one.

It was eight summers ago, and the 2014 Astros, guaranteeing $10mm to a Top 100 prospect before he hit the Show.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astros-sign-top-prospect-jonathan-singleton-to-five-year-contract/

Would we guarantee Stowers $10mm now to gain an option on one or two FA years Rays-style?

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

It was eight summers ago, and the 2014 Astros, guaranteeing $10mm to a Top 100 prospect before he hit the Show.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astros-sign-top-prospect-jonathan-singleton-to-five-year-contract/

Would we guarantee Stowers $10mm now to gain an option on one or two FA years Rays-style?

Was Stowers ever a top 100 prospect?  I would think about offering a similar deal to Henderson in the offseason if he keeps hitting the way he has?  Could it be a waste of money?  Maybe, but would like to see the O's being inventive and taking chances.  You're not going to beat the Yankees and Dodgers by doing everything by the book, because they are doing everything by the book and can outspend the O's 2 or 3 to 1.