Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’m just talking about this season.  

You think Stowers will be up this year?  I haven’t been watching him, I have been looking at the draft and lately the mlb team, so I don’t have an opinion my self. I was thinking late season cup of tea and/or prior to the AS break next year. 

6 hours ago, sevastras said:

You think Stowers will be up this year?  I haven’t been watching him, I have been looking at the draft and lately the mlb team, so I don’t have an opinion my self. I was thinking late season cup of tea and/or prior to the AS break next year. 

He’ll be up after the deadline or if there is an injury. I mean he’s on pace for 40 HR in AAA this year. In a ballpark that has slowed up a lot of our big time prospects. 

I’m thinking he’s pretty much ready. He may have some Luke Scott type streaks, but his bat can carry a team for a week. You probably want him batting 5th. Ideally next year we’d have,

Mullins, Gunnar, AR, Mountcastle, Stowers, Hays, Diaz, Urias, Mateo

• Thanks 1

Something I keep reminding myself is that trades will far more likely involve these guys who look to have so much potential ahead of them, even instead of guys like Mancini. 

You use these guys to get the veteran starting pitching we need, or will soon.  Especially if there are other good options already in the Majors playing their position(s). 

A lot like what was done to acquire Verlander, Cole, Greinke, Aaron Sanchez....at the right time. 

Maybe not someone as close to the majors as Stowers, but no one's untouchable, right?  Or is my timing way off on this?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, justD said:

Something I keep reminding myself is that trades will far more likely involve these guys who look to have so much potential ahead of them, even instead of guys like Mancini. 

You use these guys to get the veteran starting pitching we need, or will soon.  Especially if there are other good options already in the Majors playing their position(s). 

A lot like what was done to acquire Verlander, Cole, Greinke, Aaron Sanchez....at the right time. 

Maybe not someone as close to the majors as Stowers, but no one's untouchable, right?  Or is my timing way off on this?

Elias pretty much said as much, that the time isn’t far off where we will be trading prospects to land veteran talent.  Obviously, you hope to be trading from surplus rather than trading away one of the few good prospects you have.   The O’s hopefully are in that position.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Elias pretty much said as much, that the time isn’t far off where we will be trading prospects to land veteran talent.  Obviously, you hope to be trading from surplus rather than trading away one of the few good prospects you have.   The O’s hopefully are in that position.   

Okay then.  So the reason I posted that is that I think the talk in this thread about trading Santander and Mancini mid-season 2022 doesn't quite add up.  I mean, if you're trading them for more prospects because we're not trying to win this year (don't get me started on that assumption), I suppose that might happen. 

But when thinking about trades, I just see more of us trading prospects to acquire veterans (pitching in particular), not the other way around. 

3 minutes ago, justD said:

Okay then.  So the reason I posted that is that I think the talk in this thread about trading Santander and Mancini mid-season 2022 doesn't quite add up.  I mean, if you're trading them for more prospects because we're not trying to win this year (don't get me started on that assumption), I suppose that might happen. 

But when thinking about trades, I just see more of us trading prospects to acquire veterans (pitching in particular), not the other way around. 

Mancini and Mountcastle are sort of similar players, and having both on the team doesn't really give you a ton of flexibility. The Orioles would (I think) prefer Adley plays 1b on the days he doesn't catch, which would mean Mountcastle goes to DH. It also means you can't call up a Stowers and use the DH spot to help rotate your OFers. 

When you have Westburg, Henderson, and Prieto in the infield then you trade Hernaiz or Norby, or Maikol Hernandez.   Hypothetical but that's where we want to be.  Not there yet.  As far as the outfield, someone will go to make room for Stowers.  Not the other way around.  Not there yet.

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

When you have Westburg, Henderson, and Prieto in the infield then you trade Hernaiz or Norby, or Maikol Hernandez.   Hypothetical but that's where we want to be.  Not there yet.  As far as the outfield, someone will go to make room for Stowers.  Not the other way around.  Not there yet.

We’re not far off and after the draft we’ll be even closer. I think Mancini and Santander likely go because we can shed their salaries and have options to replace them. 

Stowers has pretty much checked all the boxes in AAA. 

International Player of the Week (per Tides PR)

Minor League Baseball announced yesterday the International League’s Player and Pitcher of the Week Awards. Norfolk Tides outfielder Kyle Stowers was named Player of the Week while Buffalo right-hander Thomas Hatch was named Pitcher of the Week.

Stowers put on an impressive display of power during the Tides six-game series at Charlotte. The Orioles No. 8 prospect, according to MLB.com, went 12-for-25 (.480) with three doubles, five home runs and 10 RBI, while scoring 11 runs and also drawing five walks. Stowers posted a .567 on-base percentage and slugged 1.200, recording an incredible OPS of 1.767.

The Tides went 5-1 against the Knights at Truist Field, scoring a total of 52 runs in the series. Stowers recorded at least one hit and scored at least one run in each contest. On Friday’s game, he went 4-for-5 with three runs scored, two doubles, one home run and three RBI. It was his second four-hit game of the season and also his second game with multiple extra-base hits (both April 15 at SWB).

After going 2-for-5 on Saturday, Stowers put on a historic performance on Sunday. He went 3-for-5 with four runs scored, three home runs and five RBI in the Tides 14-3 victory. His three home runs matched a franchise record, becoming the ninth batter to do so. His four runs fell just one shy of matching the franchise mark.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:17 AM, sevastras said:

Trade possibilities aside, Elias also recently said that we intended to promote 5 of our top 10 prospects. Looking at the math, that would be:

Bradish, Rutschman, Rodriguez and I assume Stowers and Hall. Not sure who else it could be.

Mayo, Henderson, Westburg, Cowser, Norby, Ortiz, Prieto, Rom, Kjerstad and whoever else I'm forgetting that someone might have at one point said was a top 10 prospect. There are a couple of infield prospects who could get the call in theory, but Stowers would seem to be ahead of them.

Stowers on his recent surge:

“I’d say the biggest thing in the last few weeks has been kind of get a little more upright (in my stance) again,” he said today during a Zoom session with reporters. “I was a little crouched early in the year and so it’s kind of getting back to a little more upright, which I feel like is a little more of an athletic position for me. It’s a small change, nothing too big. Kind of been feeling confident all year. Felt like I’d run into some tough luck early and things started to drop a little bit.

“Early on, when I was in that more crouched position, I was feeling comfortable with my hand-eye coordination and my bat-to-ball (skills). The problem was it started to lead to a little more weak contact, so you know, just felt like had some room to get more athleticism back. It was a group decision (between me and the coaches)."

“Playing Charlotte helped, the ball flies pretty well, it’s a good park to hit in," Stowers said. "Hit some balls in Norfolk and other places that didn’t get over the fence but metrically they would be good balls. I think a combination of that and just seeing the ball well and putting some good wood on it. Never really trying to hit home runs, just get good wood on the ball and hit good pitches."

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/kyle-stowers-on-recent-power-surge-for-norfolk

• Upvote 2

On 5/26/2022 at 9:34 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re not far off and after the draft we’ll be even closer. I think Mancini and Santander likely go because we can shed their salaries and have options to replace them. 

Stowers has pretty much checked all the boxes in AAA. 

I know batting average isn't a thing these days, but I'd like to see someone hitting better than .260 when there is no reason to hurry.