Kevin Brown (announcer, not former pitcher)

joelala

I like Kevin Brown. People are talking about him "growing on them" but I think its more that he's growing into the role. 

The games with both McDonald and Palmer in the booth were weird and awkward, though. Palmer sounded a little arrogant when he was joking about McDonald's college in Louisiana. It felt like Palmer was trying to "little bro" McDonald a bit.

I realize this is the Kevin Brown thread and not the Melanie Newman thread but she does one thing that drives me nuts.

For strikeouts, she'll consistently say that a player was "rung up".  However, she almost never says if it was swinging or looking.  So it will be..."Here's the pitch...and a strike 3 as Mancini is rung up."  I would typically think that would mean looking, but a few times she's gone back and given more detail and it was actually swinging.  But not always.

Picking at nits I know, but hoping maybe someone can help with this constructive criticism haha.

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I realize this is the Kevin Brown thread and not the Melanie Newman thread but she does one thing that drives me nuts.

For strikeouts, she'll consistently say that a player was "rung up".  However, she almost never says if it was swinging or looking.  So it will be..."Here's the pitch...and a strike 3 as Mancini is rung up."  I would typically think that would mean looking, but a few times she's gone back and given more detail and it was actually swinging.  But not always.

Picking at nits I know, but hoping maybe someone can help with this constructive criticism haha.

She's sort of the anti-Jim Hunter at calling games. Hunter would call games on MASN and talk about every little detail of each play like he didn't realize the viewer was watching the game on television. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

“Rung up” also implies it’s a bad call.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

She's sort of the anti-Jim Hunter at calling games. Hunter would call games on MASN and talk about every little detail of each play like he didn't realize the viewer was watching the game on television. 

That's a great comparison actually.  I actually like her, but yes, she needs to get better at filling in some details on the radio.  Maybe we've just been spoiled with really great radio guys for so long.

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I agree my assumption from “rung up” would be a looking strikeout.  I haven’t noticed this issue, but if you’re right, she definitely needs to be clearer.  

At least she’s not overusing “punch out” as Mike Bordick incessantly did.  

Kevin Brown is a little less irritating now. His pre-planned comments are becoming fewer. 

Ben is just getting better every year. He gives great explanations on pitching details. The broadcast doesn’t miss a beat when it goes from Jim to Ben. Also I really liked the 3 man booth they did in the first series. I’d love to see that come back. 

42 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

She also loves telling these little innocuous stories about the players as if they have an impact on the game. There is allowed to be dead space on air.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:17 PM, Moose Milligan said:

He's ok.  I think he tries too hard with the pop culture references sometimes.  

At the end of the day, I don't care what they're explaining to me, I can see that with my own eyes.  Give me the Jon Miller/Joe Angel/Gary Thorne golden pipes.  

I remember driving and tuning the radio to some of those Joe Angel and Fred Manfra broadcasts and just being awed the sounds of the game and their voices.  Soothing voices that were made for baseball and could transport you into feeling like you were listening to a Brooklyn Dodgers game during the radio golden age or something.  It's making me wistful thinking about it!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hunter was hired on 105.7 to do the Baltimore Baseball tonight show. Not sure if anyone mentioned that or not. I don’t think he is suppose to be on a ton but is on tonight. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Hunter was hired on 105.7 to do the Baltimore Baseball tonight show. Not sure if anyone mentioned that or not. I don’t think he is suppose to be on a ton but is on tonight. 

I didn’t think 105.7 would continue to keep broadcasting Baltimore Baseball Tonight show after losing the radio rights to Orioles games.

Figured 105.7 would just do more Ravens talk. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn’t think 105.7 would continue to keep broadcasting Baltimore Baseball Tonight show after losing the radio rights to Orioles games.

Figured 105.7 would just do more Ravens talk. 

They lost the Ravens radio rights several years ago and they still do Ravens pregame and post game shows.

They are Baltimore's only sports talk station with a signal that covers the entire metro area so they are going to cover the Orioles and Ravens.