Judge turns down 7 year 213M extension

jabba72

15 hours ago, Hallas said:

What are the odds on Judge leaving NY this offseason?

The man turned down nearly a quarter-billion dollars to bet on himself, I think he'll take the paycheck from the highest bidder and I don't fault him at all for it. However there are only a few teams that are willing to take that risk. I bet the Giants get involved, it will be interesting to see how fast the LAA ownership-sale happens, though it's probably too late for that now for them to get into it. Other than that its the NYY, I doubt the LAD get involved too much. 

Just now, CharmCityHokie said:

The man turned down nearly a quarter-billion dollars to bet on himself, I think he'll take the paycheck from the highest bidder and I don't fault him at all for it. However there are only a few teams that are willing to take that risk. I bet the Giants get involved, it will be interesting to see how fast the LAA ownership-sale happens, though it's probably too late for that now for them to get into it. Other than that its the NYY, I doubt the LAD get involved too much. 

Maybe Mets.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Absolutely, I forgot about the Cohen payroll, good point. I think for so long the Mets were relegated to the LOLMets status that I tend to not even think about them. 

They've got another 6 or so years before Showalter wears out his welcome there.

Cashman giving out all the details this spring was good competition for young Dan Duquette talking about the "twilight of Roger Clemens career".     Cashman's choices were more intentional and PR-polished, while my guess is long ago Dan was just being Dan.

https://www.espn.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/13/dan-duquette-may-have-been-on-to-something-with-roger-clemens

I wonder if Gerrit Cole is giving Judge coaching tips how the moment the season is over, in a presser he can use introductory clauses like "Speaking only as a representative of myself..."

I am still rooting for the Yankees to retain for all the money in the world - I believe Judge on the Yankees mid-decade and beyond is a feature not a bug for the Peak Adley Teams.

Its a little early but Elias may be taking notes how to do this same deal entering Adley's 2027 walk year.

Edited by Just Regular

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think it's a no brainer that Judge gets $300 mill.  The only question is does he get $400 mill.  I've always guessed on the low side on free agent contracts, but would have to guess that a lot of teams will be on the bidding for a guy who just had an all time great season. 

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think it's a no brainer that Judge gets $300 mill.  The only question is does he get $400 mill.  I've always guessed on the low side on free agent contracts, but would have to guess that a lot of teams will be on the bidding for a guy who just had an all time great season. 

I don’t think you are factoring age into the equation sufficiently.   Nobody’s paying him anywhere close to $400 mm.   $300 mm pay happen; the chance that he actually turns out to be worth that are less than 50/50.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Maybe we need to be in on the Aaron Judge sweepstakes 

Adding Judge and Verlander on short term deals would make the O's one of the WS favorites, imo.  Don't see it happening with this ownership group.  Hope the O's get an ownership group that understands what going for it means.  Most disappointing offseason in my lifetime was 2014 when the O's ran away with the division and then did nothing in the offseason. 

17 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Adding Judge and Verlander on short term deals would make the O's one of the WS favorites, imo.  Don't see it happening with this ownership group.  Hope the O's get an ownership group that understands what going for it means.  Most disappointing offseason in my lifetime was 2014 when the O's ran away with the division and then did nothing in the offseason. 

I will be absolutely shocked if Judge takes any type of short term deal. I could be wrong, but that would be super risky for him given his age.