Judge turns down 7 year 213M extension

jabba72

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe the best contract season in any sport, anywhere?  Would be hard to quantify across other sports but it's got to be in the conversation.

Anyway, hats off to him for betting on himself and having a historic season.  Judge seems like a good dude, he's good for baseball.  

I'd like for him to be a good dude and good for baseball, but for another team not in the AL East!

• Upvote 1

From  ESPN’s Kiley McDaniel:

If Judge's hot start has been followed by the best full season in almost two decades, how far north should his contract expectations be now? Is $300 million now the expectation?

We polled more than a dozen MLB executives, agents and insiders to find out.

Here are the 14 predictions from lowest to highest total dollars committed:

7 years for $259 million
10 for $265 million
8 for $280 million
8 for $280 million
8 for $300 million
7 for $301 million
9 for $320 million
8 for $320 million
8 for $328 million
9 for $333 million
9 for $335 million
10 for $340 million
10 for $341 million
10 for $375 million

And even more interesting, of the nine respondents to project a team Judge will end up with, four said he will stay with the Yankees, two have him going to the Mets, two said the Giants and one said the Giants or Dodgers. 

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It would be awesome if he turned out to be Chris Davis 2.0.  I'd laugh hysterically.  

Unless he finds the fountain of (injectible) youth like Bonds and Clemens, what are the odds he's better than Pujols was during his Angels contract between years 5-9?

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It would be awesome if he turned out to be Chris Davis 2.0.  I'd laugh hysterically.  

Well he turns 31 in April 26th. That to me is very close to when a player starts noticeably declining, especially in the field. Maybe his bat stays good for 3-4 years. Yankees are really going out on a limb here. Padres offered 10 years 400, so Judge definitely made the correct decision to bet on himself.

Teams are throwing crazy money around with no regard for the future. Its all about today. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Unless he finds the fountain of (injectible) youth like Bonds and Clemens, what are the odds he's better than Pujols was during his Angels contract between years 5-9?

Here's hoping he's Pujols 2.0, too.

I dunno.  He looks like he takes good care of himself, conditioning isn't an issue.  We'll see how his career unfolds, I was just hoping he'd go to SF so he'd be out of our division.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here's hoping he's Pujols 2.0, too.

I dunno.  He looks like he takes good care of himself, conditioning isn't an issue.  We'll see how his career unfolds, I was just hoping he'd go to SF so he'd be out of our division.

I'm perfectly fine with him in our division if he OPSes .750 in 3 years when Adley is in his arb1 year.

• Upvote 1

If the Yankees are going to have him, I’m glad they’re paying top dollar for nine years.   It limits their flexibility somewhat, so long as they behave like they care somewhat about the luxury tax.  

At $8 mm/WAR, he’s got to be worth about 45 WAR to justify this deal.  (However, the WAR market price may be rising this offseason for the first time in 8 years or so.).    He’s been worth 37 WAR so far in his career.  Not many players are worth more in the 31-39 period of their career than they were in the pre-31 portion.  So hopefully, this will turn out to be money poorly spent for the Yankees over the course of the contract.   He’s certainly worth way more than his annual salary right now. 

• Upvote 1