Judge turns down 7 year 213M extension

jabba72

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Its wonderful to see.

It would be more wonderful if it wasn’t helping the Yankees run away with the AL East this year.   Meanwhile, Judge settled his arbitration case with the Yankees relating to 2022: $19 mm plus $500 k in possible incentives.  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34143027/sources-aaron-judge-settles-new-york-yankees-avoids-arbitration

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Big tall guys rarely age well. He could very well be an albatross by his year 31 or 32 season.

Randy Johnson did okay.  Hitters?  Not so much.  But Judge is built a little differently than a lot of tall guys I can think of.  Dave Winfield aged pretty well.  

Blake Snell broke Bryce Harper's thumb during the West Coast games last night.   I put that here as I feel Judge-Bryce maybe an Either-Or for NYY as decade goes along.   

I believe cost, pedigree and a half-year of youth make Bryce 10.16.1992 a little better cornerstone than Judge 4.26.1992 for the era of the Orioles Rutschman teams.

Being practical perhaps makes sense for Bryce to use this nudge to have his TJ sooner rather than later.   No trade clause or not, I don't believe Bryce is spending the rest of his career on 13 consecutive losing Phillies teams.    When he was chatting on Fangraphs, Kevin Goldstein loved sharing the story of the night he went to bed believing Harper to Astros was a done deal.   

Phillies pitchers already look to me like some of the best for next summer...even with this bad break I don't figure Dombrowski to give up yet, but can't say I haven't daydreamed about Harper in the Frank Robinson role for these growing Orioles teams.    I'm a bit agnostic on the precise pick in 3 weeks as heck yes I'm trading him or something like him for Wheeler and Harper.    Come at me 2023 playoffs!

Bryce-Wheeler a measly $50mm in 2024 when nobody else will yet really cost anything.    Next year the Nola-Wheeler difference will be similar to the Manaea-Montas difference this year, where one is a 2-year guy.    The Nola contract perhaps a benchmark for the Rodriguez type pitcher selling a FA year or two early in his career.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Randy Johnson did okay.  Hitters?  Not so much.  But Judge is built a little differently than a lot of tall guys I can think of.  Dave Winfield aged pretty well.  

Winfield was an exception no doubt, but Judge is bigger and much heavier than Winfield. I'm just saying that Judge is a red flag for me as a free agent. He very well may defeat the odds, but he'll be 31 next year. He turned down what, 7 years at $31 a yr? 

Not sure what he's looking for I just think he could be a guy that injuries and other stuff could start to mount up as he closes in on mid 30s.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Winfield was an exception no doubt, but Judge is bigger and much heavier than Winfield. I'm just saying that Judge is a red flag for me as a free agent. He very well may defeat the odds, but he'll be 31 next year. He turned down what, 7 years at $31 a yr? 

Not sure what he's looking for I just think he could be a guy that injuries and other stuff could start to mount up as he closes in on mid 30s.

I happen to agree with you.  Great player but most of the value of his deal will come in the first 4 years.   7/$213 mm is actually about right for him, but some team will pay him for ten years.  

• 4 weeks later...

What about signing Judge as a free agent?  He's a very good OF at least by the eye test.  The Yankees play him in center a decent amount.  When healthy, he is one of the best hitters in the game.  He would also sell a ton of tickets.  Sellouts when the Yankees come to town.  

On 6/25/2022 at 2:35 PM, Frobby said:

Frank Thomas and Jim Thome may disagree with you.

47 minutes ago, StatusDC said:

Frank Thomas and Jim Thome may disagree with you.

Those guys were both tall, but not as tall as Judge.   I actually was surprised to see Thomas was 6’5”.   That’s a little taller than I would have guessed.   

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Aaron Judge hits two more home runs and now has 57 for the season. It seems inevitable now that he's going to break Roger Maris' AL single season record of 61 home runs. 

It sure feels that way, but it can’t really be “inevitable” that a guy will hit 5 homers in 19 games.   Let’s just say his odds look pretty good based on what he’s done over the 143 games played so far, and recently.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It sure feels that way, but it can’t really be “inevitable” that a guy will hit 5 homers in 19 games.   Let’s just say his odds look pretty good based on what he’s done over the 143 games played so far, and recently.  

Well he gets to play us 3 more times so that's probably 6 homers right there.

Seriously though - not sure a player has ever done more for themselves than he has done this year.  What a season.  Every homer he hits I just envision him saying "Ka-ching, ka-ching" as he rounds the bases.

Edited by glenn__davis