Connor Norby 2022

Just Regular

9 hours ago, Hazmat said:

I don't understand why every player doesn't use that cheek guard addition to their batting helmet.  

I tried in once back in the playing days. Couldn't hit with it, of course some would say I couldn't hit anyway, but it had the sensation of looking out of a pillbox. 

• 3 weeks later...

Norby had a good weekend. He went 2-4 with a walk and a home run today. He also hit a home run yesterday. His OPS is back over .800 at .807. He struggled for a little bit after coming back from getting hit in the face, but it looks like he’s getting hot now.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Was thinking about this yesterday.  I would think both of them are a few weeks away from a call up.

I can see Prieto getting a lot of 3B time with Ortiz at SS and Norby at 2B at Bowie.    I think Cowser goes up too but hard to justify not sending Rhodes up as well (assuming he's back healthy) who has been the superior player.

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I can see Prieto getting a lot of 3B time with Ortiz at SS and Norby at 2B at Bowie.    I think Cowser goes up too but hard to justify not sending Rhodes up as well (assuming he's back healthy) who has been the superior player.

That’s fine too.  I want to see them be aggressive with the college guys and see how they do in the high minors.  

Bowie isn’t very good right now, so giving them an infusion of talent isn’t a bad thing either.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Average down to .233 with a .721 OPS.  Showing good power but the OBP is only .310.  I’m hoping for more out of the 41st pick in the 2021 draft, especially one that was known for his hit tool in college.

Didn't he get beaned in the helmet?  It feels like he's been striking out a lot since then.  I wonder if he's a little tentative up at the plate right now.  

He was out from May 14-28. He wasn't having a good May but in June he's got 7 walks and 28 strikeouts in 81 PA.  That's not good.  He had a .866 OPS in April with 10 walks and 17 strikeouts.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Average down to .233 with a .721 OPS.  Showing good power but the OBP is only .310.  I’m hoping for more out of the 41st pick in the 2021 draft, especially one that was known for his hit tool in college.

I think the orioles did pretty well in the 2019/20 drafts, with Adley, Gunnar, Westburg, Stowers, and potentially Heston, Mayo, and Baumler…but 2021 has so far been disappointing 

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I think the orioles did pretty well in the 2019/20 drafts, with Adley, Gunnar, Westburg, Stowers, and potentially Heston, Mayo, and Baumler…but 2021 has so far been disappointing 

And they had the chance to grab what many felt were higher ceiling guys, especially after passing on Lawlar and didn’t do it.

Funny how people just assume they will do it this year.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And they had the chance to grab what many felt were higher ceiling guys, especially after passing on Lawlar and didn’t do it.

Elias has a preference for college bats, and that’s not going to change. However, if he sees someone who he thinks is with it, he’s willing to step outside the mold. I would expect the same this year. 

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And by the way this is incidental to the point. The college guys from 19/20 drafts have done well, the 21 guys haven't. 

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

And by the way this is incidental to the point. The college guys from 19/20 drafts have done well, the 21 guys haven't. 

Johnny Rhodes missed some time with injuries, but has a .903 OPS.  I’d say he has been impressive.  I can’t say anybody else has wowed me, but I think guys like Cowser and Norby can still break out.  

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Johnny Rhodes missed some time with injuries, but has a .903 OPS.  I’d say he has been impressive.  I can’t say anybody else has wowed me, but I think guys like Cowser and Norby can still break out.  

Of course, what did Westburg and Henderson look like at this time last year.   Both struggled quite a bit at Aberdeen at times, IIRC.   Cowser has stepped up his game this month.  He's still isn't where we want him to be which is raking at Bowie but he's come back from a deep hole.    Norby, obviously is struggling right now.   I'd say it's either related to that beaning or he's going through something similar to Cowser was with zoning in.  Who knows.   Like you said, Rhodes looks pretty good and Trimble hasn't even played a game yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seak05 said:

Elias has a preference for college bats, and that’s not going to change. However, if he sees someone who he thinks is with it, he’s willing to step outside the mold. I would expect the same this year. 

I hope/think this is the case this year.  Elias has been talking up the HS kids.  I wonder if  it’s beyond the first pick…. Sounds like the HS class is pretty deep.