Seriously.. what in the literal %#$@ are we watching?

banks703

Preface: I don’t post often - maybe once every two or three years (if that). I am typically an extreme optimist when it comes to the O’s and as patient as anyone with the rebuild.

If watching Lakins give up four runs isn’t signaling that the team has no intention of competing, I’m not sure what will.

How does MLB allow this charade to continue? They’re so far beyond an embarrassment at the major league level.

For the first time in my 37 years on this planet I am considering a placement of my rooting interest elsewhere. It legitimately gives me a headache to watch them. I don’t know how much longer I can stomach it.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Preface: I don’t post often - maybe once every two or three years (if that). I am typically an extreme optimist when it comes to the O’s and as patient as anyone with the rebuild.

If watching Lakins give up four runs isn’t signaling that the team has no intention of competing, I’m not sure what will.

How does MLB allow this charade to continue? They’re so far beyond an embarrassment at the major league level.

For the first time in my 37 years on this planet I am considering a placement of my rooting interest elsewhere. It legitimately gives me a headache to watch them. I don’t know how much longer I can stomach it.

Calm down.

Yes, Lakins was terrible.  Just keep up hope, brighter days are on the horizon.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

When was the last time a sports league took some kind of action against a team because of excessive futility?  That's a genuine question.  I know there's relegation systems for certain soccer leagues.  I can't remember a Big Four American league taking a team to task, or maybe I'm missing something obvious.

It's a glorified minor league team, man. You don't really care if the Tides or the Baysox or the Ironbirds win. You just look at the prospects and, if they do well, that's the important thing. Same with the Orioles right now. Mullins with a missile and Wells four scoreless. That's what we should focus on tonight - those guys have a chance to be here when this team is competitive again. 

32 minutes ago, vab said:

It's a glorified minor league team, man. You don't really care if the Tides or the Baysox or the Ironbirds win. You just look at the prospects and, if they do well, that's the important thing. Same with the Orioles right now. Mullins with a missile and Wells four scoreless. That's what we should focus on tonight - those guys have a chance to be here when this team is competitive again. 

But the lack of depth is an issue because it pushes people in roles they don’t belong or earlier than necessary. That’s why inaction this off-season was puzzling, but irresponsible. Can’t push Rodriquez, etc

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

But the lack of depth is an issue because it pushes people in roles they don’t belong or earlier than necessary. That’s why inaction this off-season was puzzling, but irresponsible. Can’t push Rodriquez, etc

Perhaps it had to do with starters going  less than 6 innings, playing 11 Friday night where they used 4 or 5 relievers, tonight’s starter going 4 innings, losing Baumann due to the rain delay, and the fact they need to use Lakins since he’s on the roster.

I don’t think Lakins is a bad reliever and just didn’t have it last night. I was surprised that he lasted so long as he clearly didn’t have it. 

BTW,  The Orioles have scored a grand total of 16 runs in 8 games. The pitching isn’t the problem.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The Means injury gives the team even more of an excuse to throw away the season.  

The strategic plan for the season isn’t really affected IMO.   Guys like Rutschman, Rodriguez and Bradish will come up when the team feels they’re ready to succeed.  Means’ injury won’t affect those decisions.   The team will still look to trade some veterans for younger players as the season progresses.  About the only thing that’s changed is that Means won’t have much of a trade market this year.   And, some marginal pitchers will get more innings than they would have if Means were in the rotation.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The strategic plan for the season isn’t really affected IMO.   Guys like Rutschman, Rodriguez and Bradish will come up when the team feels they’re ready to succeed.  Means’ injury won’t affect those decisions.   The team will still look to trade some veterans for younger players as the season progresses.  About the only thing that’s changed is that Means won’t have much of a trade market this year.   And, some marginal pitchers will get more innings than they would have if Means were in the rotation.  

That's a partial truth at best.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a partial truth at best.

I think it’s completely true at this point.  Today is the last day a player could get called up and still earn a full year of service (absent finishing in the top two for ROY).   So if guys aren’t called up for a while, it’s not because of service time.  (I will revise my views if Bradish or Rodriguez continue to pitch well but are still in Norfolk in June.)

12 hours ago, banks703 said:

Hang in there.  Things are about to change.

First off the problem is not the pitching.   The pitching is 10th in MLB with a 3.42 ERA.  And the defense looks solid.   Its the offense that is costing the O's game right now.

Help is on the way in about 3 weeks.   Look at AAA.   Stowers  1.917 OPS,  Jones 1.067 OPS, Nevin .990 OPS,   Vavra .897 OPS, Bannon .834 OPS.  And that does not even count Adley who might beat them all to the majors in the next few weeks.  All these guys but Vavra played at AAA last year so if they get 100 at bats at AAA this year and are still hitting my guess is they could be promoted.

My bet is Adley starts playing games at Norfolk this week.   He will need about a week to get his bat going.  So we could see Adley debut with the O's in the next 10 days.

Nevin has played 6 games at Norfolk this year.  4 of them has been at 3B.  I could see Guttierrez being DFA'd to Norfolk and Nevin playing 3B of the O's in 3  weeks.  Urias will move back to 2B.   

AAA is probably not going to hold Stowers for very long.    I could see McKenna being optioned and Stowers promoted in 3 weeks.    I can see Hyde putting a rotation into play with 6 players playing 5 positions.   Hays, Mullins, Santander,Mancini, Mountcastle and Stowers play 5 games and go to the bench for one. 

Bradish and Grayson will also be ready by about the first of May.   It will not be hard to make room for them.

To address your concerns about Lakins,  he may be optioned before the trip to the west coast tomorrow.    I think Ellis or Hartman may be called up to fill the 5th starter spot piggy backing with Alex Wells.    Means may go of the 60 day IL.

If you need a boost for the next few weeks I suggest you spend $13.99 on  a  MILB.TV subscription for a month to watch all these players kick butt at AAA.  I did and its worth it to me.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hang in there.  Things are about to change.

First off the problem is not the pitching.   The pitching is 10th in MLB with a 3.42 ERA.  And the defense looks solid.   Its the offense that is costing the O's game right now.

Help is on the way in about 3 weeks.   Look at AAA.   Stowers  1.917 OPS,  Jones 1.067 OPS, Nevin .990 OPS,   Vavra .897 OPS, Bannon .834 OPS.  And that does not even count Adley who might beat them all to the majors in the next few weeks.  All these guys but Vavra played at AAA last year so if they get 100 at bats at AAA this year and are still hitting my guess is they could be promoted.

My bet is Adley starts playing games at Norfolk this week.   He will need about a week to get his bat going.  So we could see Adley debut with the O's in the next 10 days.

Nevin has played 6 games at Norfolk this year.  4 of them has been at 3B.  I could see Guttierrez being DFA'd to Norfolk and Nevin playing 3B of the O's in 3  weeks.  Urias will move back to 2B.   

AAA is probably not going to hold Stowers for very long.    I could see McKenna being optioned and Stowers promoted in 3 weeks.    I can see Hyde putting a rotation into play with 6 players playing 5 positions.   Hays, Mullins, Santander,Mancini, Mountcastle and Stowers play 5 games and go to the bench for one. 

Bradish and Grayson will also be ready by about the first of May.   It will not be hard to make room for them.

To address your concerns about Lakins,  he may be optioned before the trip to the west coast tomorrow.    I think Ellis or Hartman may be called up to fill the 5th starter spot piggy backing with Alex Wells.    Means may go of the 60 day IL.

If you need a boost for the next few weeks I suggest you spend $13.99 on  a  MILB.TV subscription for a month to watch all these players kick butt at AAA.  I did and its worth it to me.

Pft all we hear is he is "progressing' and playing catch. I feel like it will still be 2 weeks until he is in Norfolk. Then probably another 3 weeks down there.