Owings

NelsonCruuuuuz

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As Tony says, they don't really need Owings.  So his replacement could be any position player  for whom  they think they can find playing time.  Could be Martin if he plays 2B/SS.  Could be Stowers and the move around the outfielders.   Could be Nevin at some point.

I do think Elias will wait until these guys get 100 at bats this year before promoting them.

I think the cut down from 28 to 26 players has be be two relievers  not Owings.  I think they are required to get to 13 pitchers unless they change the rule.

Why 100?  Because it’s a round number? Why not 80?  Why not 120?

You’re right that we’re going to need to lose two pitchers.   

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Speaking of cut players, we should be hearing about DJ Stewart pretty soon no? I guess we're still inside the 10 days if he was DFA'd 4/19. Roch seemed to hint that he was no longer in the organization, so I assume if he clears he'll be released.

Funny thing is I'd take him on the roster over Owings right now with Urias and Mateo both able to play SS. 

If Stewart clears waivers I think he will be assigned to Norfolk and Stewart has no control over that as far as I know.  Neither does Roch.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why 100?  Because it’s a round number? Why not 80?  Why not 120?

You’re right that we’re going to need to lose two pitchers.   

You are right its my number.  It seemed to me that when Elias was promoting minor leaguers last year he waited until they had 100 at bats and there was an opening at the next level.   If they had never played that level before it was longer.  Closer to 200 at bats. 

But its just my  guess.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Stewart clears waiver I think he will be assigned to Norfolk and Stewart has no control over that as far as I know.  Neither does Roch.

I don’t think he clears but if he does he likely will be released or traded for cash bc they don’t want to hurt playing time in OF.

10 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I don’t think he clears but if he does he likely will be released or traded for cash bc they don’t want to hurt playing time in OF.

Yeah there's no room for him and he deserves a shot to catch on with another team. I think Roch is hinting that he's heard he'll be released. As he should be, because I don't want him hurting playing time for any of the outfielders currently in Norfolk. 

I think we’re really seeing a good future bullpen develop here.  Even getting the loss, Baumann is getting experience now that will pay dividends down the road.  For the last several years i felt our bullpen was a dumpster file with no rhyme or reason on roles.  Now we have a group that is settling into their roles.  You need a solid bullpen to win big games including postseason games.  We have the making of something special in this area - at least through 16 games! 😁

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah there's no room for him and he deserves a shot to catch on with another team. I think Roch is hinting that he's heard he'll be released. As he should be, because I don't want him hurting playing time for any of the outfielders currently in Norfolk. 

I don't see that there is no room for Stewart at AAA.  Neustrom, Rizer and Nevin are there.  Stowers is going to be promoted to the O's in the next month.  Diaz and Vavra are hurt.   Stewart can DH and rest the corner OFers when needed.

I don't care if Martin comes up and spends time sitting on the bench.  I think he's at the point where he's not going to be more than a utility guy here, so I'm not worried about any more "development."  If he's a better option than Owings, bring him up and get rid of the older guy.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't care if Martin comes up and spends time sitting on the bench.  I think he's at the point where he's not going to be more than a utility guy here, so I'm not worried about any more "development."  If he's a better option than Owings, bring him up and get rid of the older guy.

Exactly. 

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

As sad as it is, Martin is a better hitter also.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

When they call up Stowers they will have a better bench.  They can put a rotation in place with Hays, Mullins, Santander, Mancini, Mountcastle and Stowers each being on the bench for a game every 5 days.

Yep, this is the rotation I see that makes the most sense but it's each of them on the bench every 6th game, not 5. And as you pointed out, it puts a pretty good hitter on the bench for pinch hitting duties. When Stowers and eventually Rutschman come up, it should make the offense better overall. 

Replace Owings with Martin and you now have some speed on the bench as well as an adequate defender around the infield to include SS. 

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, this is the rotation I see that makes the most sense but it's each of them on the bench every 6th game, not 5. And as you pointed out, it puts a pretty good hitter on the bench for pinch hitting duties. When Stowers and eventually Rutschman come up, it should make the offense better overall. 

Replace Owings with Martin and you now have some speed on the bench as well as an adequate defender around the infield to include SS. 

A four man bench of Chirinos, Martin, McKenna and whoever isn't starting of Hays, Mullins, Mountcastle, Mancini, Santander and Stowers is a pretty good bench once Adley comes up.

Allows for one pinch-hitter every game and two pinch-runners / defensive upgrade options.

51 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

As sad as it is, Martin is a better hitter also.

It’s certainly looking that way.  When I’ve watched Owings, he looks completely overmatched.   Richie Martin has been a very weak hitter with the Orioles, but I’d have to say he’s got more bat speed and pop than Owings.   Which is really a terrible thing to say about a player.  

57 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I look at Martin differently.  His first year as a Rule 5 selection coming from AA in 2019 he was over his head in the Majors. In 2020 and 2021 he hs wrist injuries.  So he has never been able to play and develop at AAA.   This year is his chance.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

A four man bench of Chirinos, Martin, McKenna and whoever isn't starting of Hays, Mullins, Mountcastle, Mancini, Santander and Stowers is a pretty good bench once Adley comes up.

Allows for one pinch-hitter every game and two pinch-runners / defensive upgrade options.

I think if Stowers comes up, McKenna probably gets sent down.