Owings

NelsonCruuuuuz

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Did you really point towards one time McKenna hit a 95 MPH fastball successfully as some kind of proof that you are right and I am wrong? lol

In 2021 against fastball, McKenna hit:

Avg    XBA     SLG    XSLG   WOBA XWOBA  WHIF%

.177    .197    .250    .317       .271      .300      34.1

Against 4-seam fastballs

.138    .136    .207    .237      .259      .267     42.2%

And because he has to gear up for fastballs, here's his awful numbers against changeups:

.100   .203    .100    .238      .143      .239    30.4%

Wowza!

54 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Did you really point towards one time McKenna hit a 95 MPH fastball successfully as some kind of proof that you are right and I am wrong? lol

Against 4-seam fastballs

And because he has to gear up for fastballs, here's his awful numbers against changeups:

were-not-worthy-waynes-world.gif

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Against 4-seam fastballs

image.gif.be5d7d54ded57409361a55f691159521.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Against 4-seam fastballs

Are you trying to say continually using him as a pinch hitter against relievers throwing 95-100+ is a bad idea?  Someone needs to let Hyde know.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think you want a rotation with Mancini in the outfield.

Its a different rotation. One of Mountcastle/Mancini  at 1B/DH and Adley catching two/thirds of the time.   Adley at 1B and one of Mountcastle/Mancini at DH with Chirinos catching  most of the rest of the time.   Except when Adley is given a day off.

Probably don't want Adley DHing too often because if he has to move to catcher during the game it costs the team the DH.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Against 4-seam fastballs

I literally said I didn't know whether you had said that or not. I must have missed when you said that, sorry. Wasn't trying to prove you wrong with a single clip.

Definitely seems like an issue based on the stats though. Although he hasn't exactly mashed against other pitches in the Majors.

Obviously fewer 95+ fastballs in the minors, but I am curious whether he had similar struggles against them during the periods when he was otherwise having success at the plate.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I literally said I didn't know whether you had said that or not. I must have missed when you said that, sorry. Wasn't trying to prove you wrong with a single clip.

Definitely seems like an issue based on the stats though. Although he hasn't exactly mashed against other pitches in the Majors.

Obviously fewer 95+ fastballs in the minors, but I am curious whether he had similar struggles against them during the periods when he was otherwise having success at the plate.

His breakdown per pitch is not available in the minor leagues but it was something I noticed when he was in the minor leagues and something I look for when scouting them. Obviously it's more ancillary then having a stacast breakdown since I don't watch every PA for every batter. 

Rylan Bannon has the same issue from what I've seen. One of things that's important when scoyting players in the minor leagues is trying to see them again good minor league pitchers like actual prospects. If I know they are facing a legitimate prospect with a good fastball, I'll try and watch that game if it's available.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

His breakdown per pitch is not available in the minor leagues but it was something I noticed when he was in the minor leagues and something I look for when scouting them. Obviously it's more ancillary then having a stacast breakdown since I don't watch every PA for every batter. 

Rylan Bannon has the same issue from what I've seen. One of things that's important when scoyting players in the minor leagues is trying to see them again good minor league pitchers like actual prospects. If I know they are facing a legitimate prospect with a good fastball, I'll try and watch that game if it's available.

Good info, thanks. Wildcard seems to suggest that Haskin has a similar issue, have you noticed that?

I am beyond the point of having much hopes for Bannon being a big league contributor although he is off to a hot start this year.

21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Good info, thanks. Wildcard seems to suggest that Haskin has a similar issue, have you noticed that?

I am beyond the point of having much hopes for Bannon being a big league contributor although he is off to a hot start this year.

Whoa, what?   I have not said anything about Haskin vs the fastball.   I have noted that Haskin arm is rated at 45 which is below average much like Mullins.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Whoa, what?   I have not said anything about Haskin vs the fastball.   I have noted that Haskin arm is rated at 45 which is below average much like Mullins.

Oh, good. Glad it was just a misreading by me. Wasn't sure what you were saying in this reply:

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Oh, good. Glad it was just a misreading by me. Wasn't sure what you were saying in this reply:

I'm saying that as a 2nd rounder off to a fast start he could move fast through the minor league system and may even be in Baltimore later this season.   Sorry for the confusion.

He has the speed to play all three outfield spots. And if he can hit he may pass McKenna sometime this season.

• Upvote 1

While I agree with most that McKenna is a flawed offensive player with a big hole that isn't likely to allow him too much major league success, I think he's likely to stick at the big league level for a while as the last guy on the bench simply because the team sees him as a bench player at best so while others may ultimately be better than him, the playing time at the big league level in the OF is limited (and will be more limited once Stowers is promoted). I don't see McKenna replaced by Haskins or anyone like that this year because of playing time (unless there are a number of injuries and/or trades). If McKenna loses his roster spot, it'll be after Stowers is promoted and for an infielder (or someone like Vavra who is both an INF and OF). 

As to Owings, I've see enough of him, Odor and Gutierrez and am ready for some young faces to try and see if they can stick. 

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

How much longer is this charade going to last? Chris Owings has no business being on an MLB roster.

Pinch hit with two runners on base in the ninth inning and completely overmatched. 

Elias likes that .411 OPS he brings.