Owings

NelsonCruuuuuz

42 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Gutierrez is a player I want to see more of as there aren't many options at 3B currently. But with Owings, I don't get it there are other players who can play at 3B and SS in his place. 

Chris Owings has a 53 OPS+ since the start of the 2018 season. I don't get why Elias decided to sign him.

Nobody seems to…

12 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

With 46 PAs in 10 games, Martin has an OPS of .882.

https://www.milb.com/stats/norfolk-tides/strikeouts?position=SS

But Martin has only played SS so far this season.   He is probably not going to move Mateo  off SS.   Martin needs to begin playing 2B.  

I don't see Martin promoted until he gets 100 at bats at AAA which should be in about two weeks.

52 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But Martin has only played SS so far this season.   He is probably not going to move Mateo  off SS.   Martin needs to begin playing 2B.  

I don't see Martin promoted until he gets 100 at bats at AAA which should be in about two weeks.

Eh, Martin has played plenty of 2B in his time. Owings is the backup SS, effectively, and that's what Martin would be. He knows how to play all the infield positions, he's hitting well, he has speed, he should absolutely be up here over Owings. He's exactly what you want in a utility IF, and he's also played some OF. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Eh, Martin has played plenty of 2B in his time. Owings is the backup SS, effectively, and that's what Martin would be. He knows how to play all the infield positions, he's hitting well, he has speed, he should absolutely be up here over Owings. He's exactly what you want in a utility IF, and he's also played some OF. 

He hasn't played other positions this year which seem weird if Elias wants him to take Owings spot.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He hasn't played other positions this year which seem weird if Elias wants him to take Owings spot.

I guess we just disagree how much that really matters, but I hear what you're saying. Is there an infielder that makes more sense to replace either Owings or Odor? Vavra was my pick to replace Odor since they are both lefty 2B, but we'll have to wait on that. Jones is once again struggling a bit at AAA after the hot start. 

14 hours ago, seak05 said:

Who else can play SS (besides Mateo)?

Gutierrez  is a good defensive 3b, but he can't play any other positions (other then 1b), and he's never hit enough to be a full time 3b. Nevin can't really play 3b, and the Orioles don't need another 1b/dh on the roster

Urias? Why do we need a 3rd player who can play SS? Owings doesn't appear to really bring anything to the roster other than positional flexibility and even then, he hasn't shown to be good at any of them. Martin at least brings speed and is a better defender at SS.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I guess we just disagree how much that really matters, but I hear what you're saying. Is there an infielder that makes more sense to replace either Owings or Odor? Vavra was my pick to replace Odor since they are both lefty 2B, but we'll have to wait on that. Jones is once again struggling a bit at AAA after the hot start. 

As Tony says, they don't really need Owings.  So his replacement could be any position player  for whom  they think they can find playing time.  Could be Martin if he plays 2B/SS.  Could be Stowers and the move around the outfielders.   Could be Nevin at some point.

I do think Elias will wait until these guys get 100 at bats this year before promoting them.

I think the cut down from 28 to 26 players has be be two relievers  not Owings.  I think they are required to get to 13 pitchers unless they change the rule.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Urias? Why do we need a 3rd player who can play SS? Owings doesn't appear to really bring anything to the roster other than positional flexibility and even then, he hasn't shown to be good at any of them. Martin at least brings speed and is a better defender at SS.

Can he? If so, yeah you don’t need a third, and you can bring up a Nevin-type (and keep Odor, as your backup MI). Or you drop Odor and keep Owings or Martin 

Also if the orioles think Martin is better then Owings, you release Owings and call up Martin. They’re somewhat interchangeable, although I would have liked to see Martin moved around positionally in tripleA. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Aren't the rosters getting cut down to 26 on May 1? 

I suspect we will be saying bye bye to Chris Owings at that date.  You don't really need two backup infielders on the roster, especially one as bad as Owings. 

The rosters go from 28 to 26 on Monday, May 2,  but the 26 man roster comes with a limit of 13 pitchers and we have 15 right now.   So the two cuts will be pitchers, not Owings.

If we were to get rid of Owings, we would have to bring up a position player to replace him.   That would be an additional move that has nothing to do with the roster cutdown.   It could be done, today, tomorrow, May 2, or any time.

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Would be nice to have a better PH.  I hate that the O's go to guy for pinch hitting is McKenna, a guy who can't hit.  Not sure Martin is really a better hitter than McKenna, but he should get some PH chances if he's brought up.

When they call up Stowers they will have a better bench.  They can put a rotation in place with Hays, Mullins, Santander, Mancini, Mountcastle and Stowers each being on the bench for a game every 5 days.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Can Martin play third? He's got a total of four games lifetime there. I would think he's got the arm and the range/reactions to handle it, but I also would think that if I were the Orioles I would be giving Martin some time at second and third. 

Strange thing. While the Orioles are moving guys around, in part to see who can handle what positions in the infield and what roles on the pitching staff, the Tides look like they're built to and are trying to make a win ballgames. They seem to be making a pennant run more than they're auditioning guys for spots on the Orioles. (The  Tide are tied for the lead in the IL East, but it's crowded at the top of the division.) I have a theory as to why that is, but I'll keep it to myself for now.  

Speaking of cut players, we should be hearing about DJ Stewart pretty soon no? I guess we're still inside the 10 days if he was DFA'd 4/19. Roch seemed to hint that he was no longer in the organization, so I assume if he clears he'll be released.

Funny thing is I'd take him on the roster over Owings right now with Urias and Mateo both able to play SS.