Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

4 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Watching these clips of Gunnar's minor league highlights it becomes apparent he LIKES to wear the loose helmet.  It comes off a lot in the clips.   I think it is a style thing for him.   Much like Bryce Harper used to intentionally knock off him helmet when he ran the bases. 

Tight helmet gives you a headache.

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I thought cards weren't really a thing any more, ever since the card market crash of the early 90s made the '29 stock market look like nothing.  I gave up on cards when a buddy down the street had his dad buy dozens and dozens of full sets as an investment, making the rest of us buying packs to try get the whole thing kind of stupid.  Today those 50 1990 Fleer sets are worth, like, $100 total.  I had a Mattingly rookie card that I'm sure at one point was worth $30 according to some book, now it's what... 30 cents?

Nah man, the Mattingly rookies are still worth a few bucks.  Of course, gotta be in good condition and all that, bu they're still valuable.  Some of the junk wax era cards are valuable today, but they've gotta be graded 9.0+. I'm going to send a few away next week to get graded at PSA.

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'll stick with buying a pack of Topps once in a while and if I get a Rich Amaral I'll stick it in the spokes of my bike when I'm riding to the 7-11 to get a Slurpee.

I'll see your Rich Amaral and raise you a Mike Gallego.

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I got out of collecting for over 20 years. Have got back into some in recent years. Curious if Adley will be in Topps Update or not until next year. 

Word on the streets is that Adley won't be in Update this year.  

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I got out of collecting for over 20 years. Have got back into some in recent years. Curious if Adley will be in Topps Update or not until next year. 

Pretty sure Adley will make Update.  I think they’ll hold Gunnar’s RC until 2023 series one so it’s more marketable and it’s flagship. 

31 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I thought cards weren't really a thing any more, ever since the card market crash of the early 90s made the '29 stock market look like nothing.  I gave up on cards when a buddy down the street had his dad buy dozens and dozens of full sets as an investment, making the rest of us buying packs to try get the whole thing kind of stupid.  Today those 50 1990 Fleer sets are worth, like, $100 total.  I had a Mattingly rookie card that I'm sure at one point was worth $30 according to some book, now it's what... 30 cents?

Now they have digital baseball cards. I would recommend caution. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Now they have digital baseball cards. I would recommend caution. 

I treat NFTs and digital baseball cards and crypto just like playing the lottery.  All of them are great things to get into if you just don't care if your money is there tomorrow.

I'm much more of a put 10% in a stock-indexed low-fee fund for 30 years and forget it kind of guy.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I treat NFTs and digital baseball cards and crypto just like playing the lottery.  All of them are great things to get into if you just don't care if your money is there tomorrow.

I'm much more of a put 10% in a stock-indexed low-fee fund for 30 years and forget it kind of guy.

I keep paying the lottery, one of these days, when I hit, might have to find me a split window vette to drive. 

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nah man, the Mattingly rookies are still worth a few bucks.  Of course, gotta be in good condition and all that, bu they're still valuable.  Some of the junk wax era cards are valuable today, but they've gotta be graded 9.0+. I'm going to send a few away next week to get graded at PSA.

I'll see your Rich Amaral and raise you a Mike Gallego.

Word on the streets is that Adley won't be in Update this year.  

17 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

Pretty sure Adley will make Update.  I think they’ll hold Gunnar’s RC until 2023 series one so it’s more marketable and it’s flagship. 

Guess we will have to see. Trying to think of another big rookie that would make it worthwhile who wasn’t in Series 1/2.  Last years Update was weak but I bought a good bit because it was always available at the local Walmart and I’m in there a good bit. 😁   Not exactly a great reason. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Guess we will have to see. Trying to think of another big rookie that would make it worthwhile who wasn’t in Series 1/2.  Last years Update was weak but I bought a good bit because it was always available at the local Walmart and I’m in there a good bit. 😁   Not exactly a great reason. 

Sometimes I open stuff and kind of forget about it and go back and look. 

I have an Acuna bat down card from 18 Update. Have never got it graded. It’s certainly not a 10. I only bought a small amount. Maybe a couple of blaster boxes at the most. 

Edited by eddie83

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The Walmart stuff is mainly junk though, at least for what I read.  I say this if you are looking for a big hit.

It’s incredible  the prices this stuff is bringing.

18 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Me too. Schoop's idea of selling equity in himself had me interested but they closed it to public investors. Not sure where it stands now. According to their website they were paying out dividends as of 2020. https://fantex.com/dividend-history.html

18 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I've been going back to the late 70s and 80s cards that I always wanted but couldn't afford.  Getting the hot new rookies isn't really appealing to me unless it's Gunnar/Adley.  Got their first Bowmans, also a franchise future's with both of them on it /99, PSA graded Gem Mint 10.

Went a little nuts back when Markakis was a rookie, bought a bunch of his rookie cards.  Can't imagine they're worth what I thought they were gonna be.  

Edited by Moose Milligan