Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. But if Henderson gets promoted on June 1, and performs great for 45-50 games, he will achieved success at all levels by the end of July.

A two month indoctrination to ML pitching would seem to be in order but we'd have to see if Henderson forces their hand and just how desperate they are for the extra year if he does.  I feel a little differently about Henderson vs. Rutschman because of the timing of other rookies coming up.  

I see Adley, Rodriguez, Hall, and hopefully Henderson up.  With Westburg and Stowers in AAA pushing at the door by September.  Maybe wishful thinking.  I've got promotions at all levels mapped out. Mike just needs to contact me. Lol

I'd love for it to work out that way.  I just think Elias is going to take a real long look at Henderson in AA this year and a jump to AAA later in the summer.  And even if he mashes in ST next year, starting the 2023 season in AAA for a month or two (hello service clock) before getting promoted.

I just don't think Henderson, even if he's playing out of his mind, can get Elias to move him faster.

Again, I'd love to be wrong though.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd love for it to work out that way.  I just think Elias is going to take a real long look at Henderson in AA this year and a jump to AAA later in the summer.  And even if he mashes in ST next year, starting the 2023 season in AAA for a month or two (hello service clock) before getting promoted.

I just don't think Henderson, even if he's playing out of his mind, can get Elias to move him faster.

Watching Elias operate it's hard to think otherwise. I had the thought earlier that just maybe Gunnar could get called up to the Orioles in August or September, but he's only 20 years old at the moment. 

Best case is Henderson is promoted to MLB in May/June next year, but at least he will only be 22 years old by the end of the 2023 season. 

I get people's impatience, but Gunnar is *really* young. If he debuts in mid-April of next year, he'll debut at the same age as Witt Jr. Wanting him to play half a season (at least) in double-A isn't (I think) unreasonable. He's also doing many thing a lot better then last year, but I think it's reasonable to give it a larger sample size, it's not like he tore up high-A last year. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I get people's impatience, but Gunnar is *really* young. If he debuts in mid-April of next year, he'll debut at the same age as Witt Jr. Wanting him to play half a season (at least) in double-A isn't (I think) unreasonable. He's also doing many thing a lot better then last year, but I think it's reasonable to give it a larger sample size, it's not like he tore up high-A last year. 

He performed very well in high A considering his age.

11 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Understood, but it's not what he's doing as much as how he's doing it.  He's got more walks than strikeouts 25% into the season.  To his credit, he eliminated the amount of swing and miss.  Does he still have weaknesses?  I'm sure he does.  Let's see the AAA pitchers see if they can find them and exploit them. Right now, Henderson is a 20 year old with the same ML approach that Rutschman has.  

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Understood, but it's not what he's doing as much as how he's doing it.  He's got more walks than strikeouts 25% into the season.  To his credit, he eliminated the amount of swing and miss.  Does he still have weaknesses?  I'm sure he does.  Let's see the AAA pitchers see if they can find them and exploit them. Right now, Henderson is a 20 year old with the same ML approach that Rutschman has.  

SSS suggest he has had struggles against LHP.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I get that, and it makes me REALLY excited...I think that actually makes me more excited then the raw numbers. But I think it's alright to see if the changes last for 12 weeks before a promotion rather then 6. A half a season at double-A wouldn't be slow playing him

Edited by seak05
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

He can face LHP in AAA and in the majors. I would certainly not hold him back because of it.

Not saying they should.  Just pointing out a current weak spot for him.  AA pitchers don’t want to throw him strikes, so I’d like to see him challenged in AAA.  

Jon Meoli's newsletter today has yesterday (pregame) quotes from some of the Bowie people.    I haven't continued as a subscriber, but as this part came in the still free email teaser, feel okay sharing this chunk:

BOWIE — At its simplest, Gunnar Henderson explained the impressive start to his age-20 season at Bowie as letting his body and instinct take over after spending most of 2021 searching for a “one-click solution” where one wasn’t required.

“I’m still very young, and it’s very instinctive — just letting it go out there and being myself,” he told me Tuesday at Prince George’s Stadium.

A few hours later, there were two clicks — loud ones — as Henderson hit home runs No. 5 and 6 in a season where the Orioles’ fourth-ranked prospect is somehow exceeding the high expectations set for him.

“I don’t think that registers with him, honestly,” manager Kyle Moore said. “I don’t even think it’s on his radar. He’s really concerned and motivated to play in the big leagues.”

That motivation, combined with that natural talent, has created the makings of a special player. To hear Henderson and those around him talk about the countless areas of focus on his swing, approach, and routine that he’s honed since the end of last year goes a long way to demonstrating just how Henderson has taken off for the Baysox...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Also, he doesn’t need to be on the 40 man roster this winter if he’s still in the minors.   

I hope Henderson does play out of his mind and we’re debating this in August.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How realistic is it that he can play SS at the MLB level?  Even if only for the first 2-3 years of his career?  

My heart really wants to believe that he’s our Bregman. Now if we can just find our Correa, or just sign Correa. 

From what I read, it's realistic that he can play an adequate SS.   I do think you're going to see him come up as a 3B but a lot depends on other players in the system.