Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

15 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Interesting phrasing there Frobby.  "They would need to do it".  Almost like they'd be forced to instead of intentionally slow-playing him.

That’s not what I intended to convey.   Elias has said they want to move guys up when they are not being challenged at a level.   But, you have to be able to distinguish between when a player has just had a hot start vs. when he’s not being challenged.   I felt that if Henderson performed at the level he was at for another 4 weeks or so I’d be pretty confident this was no mere hot streak.   And he’s done that.  So far as I’m concerned, he should be promoted within the next couple of weeks.   200 PA at 1.037 OPS is incredibly impressive. Neustrom moved last year after 261 PA at .831.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s not what I intended to convey.   Elias has said they want to move guys up when they are not being challenged at a level.   But, you have to be able to distinguish between when a player has just had a hot start vs. when he’s not being challenged.   I felt that if Henderson performed at the level he was at for another 4 weeks or so I’d be pretty confident this was no mere hot streak.   And he’s done that.  So far as I’m concerned, he should be promoted within the next couple of weeks.   200 PA at 1.037 OPS is incredibly impressive. Neustrom moved last year after 261 PA at .831.

Grayson was not being challenged in Norfolk.

Playing the gaming game is a more important concern.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The one issue folks have pointed out with Gunnar is his splits. Despite his overall success he is .147/.502 vs LHP. Hard to say he isn't being challenged there, although it's possible he just is what he is. 

Gunnar's splits with LHP indicates he has been sitting when LHP is in the game. Gunnar has 22 games played against LHP with 34 at bats total this year. 

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Gunnar's splits with LHP indicates he has been sitting when LHP is in the game. Gunnar has 22 games played against LHP with 34 at bats total this year. 

He's played 45 of 46 games so I don't think he's sitting. Just appears to be a small sample and facing a lot of RHP. O's should be doing everything they can to get him AB's vs LHP but there's only so much you can do. 

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

He's actually had 43 PAs though with seven walks and two HBP against southpaws. My concern with him against lefties is he's gotten to the point that he's basically hoping to walk or just make contact with only one extra base hit against them.  

His slash against right-handers though is a crazy .365/.497/.696/1.193 that's impact level for a 20-year old in AA.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I just wonder with lefty’s if he’s gotten so few reps it’s hard for him to improve 

Obviously it's going to always be a smaller sample size because f there being less lefties, but it's been consistent for him to struggle against them as a pro.

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Obviously it's going to always be a smaller sample size because f there being less lefties, but it's been consistent for him to struggle against them as a pro.

Yeah, it’s definitely something he’s struggled with. I’m just thinking it’s probably harder to improve in an area where you’re getting so few opportunities for repetitions. 

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Grayson was not being challenged in Norfolk.

Playing the gaming game is a more important concern.

1.  I firmly believe Grayson was about to be called up.

2.  The considerations are a bit different when moving between MiL levels vs. moving to the majors.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

1.  I firmly believe Grayson was about to be called up.

2.  The considerations are a bit different when moving between MiL levels vs. moving to the majors.   

1-We have zero actual evidence Grayson was getting called up.

We did have actual evidence he wasn't being challenged in Norfolk.

2- Why should it be? 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's actually had 43 PAs though with seven walks and two HBP against southpaws. My concern with him against lefties is he's gotten to the point that he's basically hoping to walk or just make contact with only one extra base hit against them.  

His slash against right-handers though is a crazy .365/.497/.696/1.193 that's impact level for a 20-year old in AA.

Well, at least he’s cut his  K rate vs. LHP from 38% last year to 21% this year.   But otherwise, you’re right that hitting vs. LHP has been a big weakness for him.  But he can work on that in AAA as well as in AA, so I wouldn’t hold up a promotion for that.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1-We have zero actual evidence Grayson was getting called up.

We did have actual evidence he wasn't being challenged in Norfolk.

2- Why should it be? 

There aren’t the same financial ramifications.   I mean, I guess you could argue that keeping him in AA longer will make it easier to justify starting him in AAA again next year, but I’m not sure teams take it that far.   

We’ll see what they do.  With our luck, he’s due for a strained glute any day now anyway.