Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Walmart stuff is mainly junk though, at least for what I read.  I say this if you are looking for a big hit.

It’s incredible  the prices this stuff is bringing.

Yeah. Every so often you get something decent. Obviously base is in there.  A 2011 Trout base is a nice card…
I saw some stuff where due to the odds being worse but same number of parallels you can tell that Topps is making more product now. 

It’s all about auto’s, parallels and variations. I bought a Gunnar 19 Bowman Refractor Auto PSA 9 last year. I slightly overpaid at the time. Wish I had bought more. 

My late father was a card dealer. I have a ton of stuff from junk wax era.  I sold some of his better stuff a handful of years ago which I regretted seconds after I did it. Would not have been life changing but I wish I had kept now. He bought hundreds of Orioles singles in the late 80’s. I literally have about 500 Topps Joe Orsulak. I guess he thought he could make a dime on each ….

Edited by eddie83
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Yeah. Every so often you get something decent. Obviously base is in there.  A 2011 Trout base is a nice card…
I saw some stuff where due to the odds being worse but same number of parallels you can tell that Topps is making more product now. 

It’s all about auto’s, parallels and variations. I bought a Gunnar 19 Bowman Refractor PSA 9 last year. I slightly overpaid at the time. Wish I had bought more. 

My late father was a card dealer. I have a ton of stuff from junk wax era.  I sold some of his better stuff a handful of years ago which I regretted seconds after I did it. Would not have been life changing but I wish I had kept now. He bought hundreds of Orioles singles in the late 80’s. I literally have about 500 Topps Joe Orsulak. I guess he thought he could make a dime on each ….

Yea it’s a shame none of is worth anything.

I probably have 20k+ cards from that era just sitting in boxes.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've been going back to the late 70s and 80s cards that I always wanted but couldn't afford.  Getting the hot new rookies isn't really appealing to me unless it's Gunnar/Adley.  Got their first Bowmans, also a franchise future's with both of them on it /99, PSA graded Gem Mint 10.

Went a little nuts back when Markakis was a rookie, bought a bunch of his rookie cards.  Can't imagine they're worth what I thought they were gonna be.  

Had my father pick up a couple, and I mean a couple, Ben McDonald rookie cards back in the day.

I'm still hearing about it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've been going back to the late 70s and 80s cards that I always wanted but couldn't afford.  Getting the hot new rookies isn't really appealing to me unless it's Gunnar/Adley.  Got their first Bowmans, also a franchise future's with both of them on it /99.  

Went a little nuts back when Markakis was a rookie, bought a bunch of his rookie cards.  Can't imagine they're worth what I thought they were gonna be.  

I was out of collecting when Nick was a rookie. I mainly enjoy getting Orioles rookies. I actually bought a box of Bowman Draft in 18 and 19. It was expensive enough then. It’s ridiculous now. We opened it on Christmas Eve each year. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea it’s a shame none of is worth anything.

I probably have 20k+ cards from that era just sitting in boxes.  

I literally have hundreds of thousands still. Not lying. A ton. I haven’t had the heart to get rid of all his stuff yet. I could take stuff like 90 Donruss and burn it all in the yard. I have the big 3/4 K boxes filled. I figured it may be something I can play around with when I’m older and retired. I still have my own collection as a kid as well. 

He had a bunch of unopened stuff. I sold most of it including the junk wax. Some of that is what I regret I sold. I kept some stuff. At some point I am going to open it. I did open a couple of 89 Upper Deck boxes. I sold one to a buddy of mine who got a Griffey. One box I didn’t get any and the one I did it wasn’t in that great of shape. 

I honestly think he had around a million cards. Still may be fairly close to that now. 

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I literally have hundreds of thousands still. Not lying. A ton. I haven’t had the heart to get rid of all his stuff yet. I could take stuff like 90 Donruss and burn it all in the yard. I have the big 3/4 K boxes filled. I figured it may be something I can play around with when I’m older and retired. I still have my own collection as a kid as well. 

He had a bunch of unopened stuff. I sold most of it including the junk wax. Some of that is what I regret I sold. I kept some stuff. At some point I am going to open it. I did open a couple of 89 Upper Deck boxes. I sold one to a buddy of mine who got a Griffey. One box I didn’t get any and the one I did it wasn’t in that great of shape. 

I honestly think he had around a million cards. Still may be fairly close to that now. 

Yea I bet.

Did you see that documentary on Netflix that was centered around the 89 US Griffey and how this guy through the was sitting on a gold mine of all these 80s/90s wax packs and stuff and he was shocked to find out how it was all worth nothing.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I bet.

Did you see that documentary on Netflix that was centered around the 89 US Griffey and how this guy through the was sitting on a gold mine of all these 80s/90s wax packs and stuff and he was shocked to find out how it was all worth nothing.

No I did not. I will have to look into that. 

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Walmart stuff is mainly junk though, at least for what I read.  I say this if you are looking for a big hit.

It’s incredible  the prices this stuff is bringing.

Wal-Mart wise, I recommend the Upper Deck series 2 hockey.  I’ve been pulling bangers right and left.  It’s a banner crop of Young Guns.  Get after it.

Sometime around 2010 I went into a general store in Virginia, over in Rockingham county where I have family, and they had a box of I think '86 Topps.  They must have found it behind a self or something and just put it out to sell.  I bought a few packs, didn't get anything of note.

But I chewed the gum and I'm still alive.

• Haha 1

We moved to MD from New Orleans in '87.  So, other than watching the Cubs with my grandmother, I didn't really have a team.  That's when I started collecting too.  I tried to build the 1987 Topps box set.  I bought a ton of packs as I had the money.  Think I fell 10-12 cards short.  Around 1989-90 I had a few lawnmowing/babysitting type gigs and would mostly buy singles and box sets.  

My favorite card was the 1973 career HR leader with Ruth/Mays/Aaron.  

I gave my sons Grayson rookies for Christmas this past year.  Think I'll pick up the Gunnar 1st HR card for this year's gift.

A few months ago, when Adley was in Aberdeen, I took the family to a game.  Tons of collectors fawning for a signature.  Hillbilly me just shows up with the kids and a scratch piece of paper.  We were sitting first row on the 1B line.  A few players (Norby and Burns) were pretty cool giving signed baseballs (probably out of pity)!  But there was an older guy there who saw what we had to work with and gave all 5 of my kids an Adley rookie.  As good as it was to watch the game, my faith in humanity was given a needed boost!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sometime around 2010 I went into a general store in Virginia, over in Rockingham county where I have family, and they had a box of I think '86 Topps.  They must have found it behind a self or something and just put it out to sell.  I bought a few packs, didn't get anything of note.

But I chewed the gum and I'm still alive.

I got my wife about 5 years ago to try some gum from a 1981 Fleer Star Stickers pack. 

Many people wouldn’t remember or for that matter care but in 81 Fleer had gum in their packs. Topps fought them over this and that was the only year they had gum. 

• Upvote 1