Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

1 hour ago, flaoriolesfan said:

Me and some buddies went to West Palm Beach to watch the Braves in a spring training game and this was about the time that Claudell Washington had been having some issues with cocaine. Well a ball was hit down the right field line and Claudell dove for it and his face landed right on the chalk line so he had some on his face. My one buddy was pretty drunk from all the beers we were buying and he said   "Damn Claudell you'll do anything for some powder won't you" and Claudell gave him the meanest look you could imagine. I thought he was going to come over and confront him after the inning but he didn't.  

If we're doing heckling stories...

In 1995 a buddy of mine and I were at a BaySox game against the Canton-Akron Indians.  Top of the ninth, the BaySox are holding a slim lead and a guy named Pat Maxwell come up with two outs for the Indians.  He strikes out looking.  We make our way down towards the bullpens and the teams are walking by, going back to the clubhouse.  We're standing among a bunch of young kids looking for autographs.  My buddy yells out "Hey Pat, might want to swing next time!"  My friend was a big guy, and Maxwell turns to us and very loudly yells back "F___ you you fat F___!!!"

The BaySox had a promotion where if they won or scored so many runs everyone got a coupon for a free cheeseburger.  Later that summer my friend and I went on a big roadtrip, Cooperstown, Toronto, Thunder Bay, St. Paul, the Field of Dreams, Wrigley... and to Akron.  We went to a Canton-Akron Indians game.  Before the game we went down to the field level to get autographs and got Pat Maxwell to autograph our BaySox cheeseburger coupon.  When we handed it to him he had this look like, don't I remember you jerks... but he didn't say anything. My buddy passed away a few years ago, but I have a big scrapbook full of mementos of that trip, including the Pat Maxwell autographed cheeseburger coupon.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, sevastras said:

This is the kid you try and lock up long term.  If I were to rate him right now, Trout would be my comp. I am not one for hyperbole or over rating guys. This kid is beyond special and I am surprised as can be. 

It would be a wise forward thinking move to sign Adley and Gunnar to early contract extensions while trying to buyout two to three free agent years. 

Problem is will ownership be up for it and will the legal troubles between the Angelos family members potentially limit number of high dollar transactions Elias can make. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

This is the kid you try and lock up long term.  If I were to rate him right now, Trout would be my comp. I am not one for hyperbole or over rating guys. This kid is beyond special and I am surprised as can be. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would be a wise forward thinking move to sign Adley and Gunnar to early contract extensions and try to buy two to three free agent years. 

Problem is will ownership be up for it and will the legal troubles between the Angelos family members potentially limit number of high dollar transactions Elias can make. 

1 minute ago, Getz said:

You can see how special a player he is and he's only 21, Gunnar would be my priority to sign a long term deal.

Yea, long term deal.

That's a good idea.

Would you settle for lefty version of Manny with better plate discipline? 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I feel the same way about Gunnar that I did about Manny when he came up. You can just tell there’s something special about this kid. He’s got that Hall of Famer feel. 

I was at Manny's first game, which was awesome. He'll always be a favorite player of mine. That being said, Henderson's approach at the plate is eons better than Machado's was when was first called up. 

8 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

I was at Manny's first game, which was awesome. He'll always be a favorite player of mine. That being said, Henderson's approach at the plate is eons better than Machado's was when was first called up. 

His approach at the plate is better, but we’ll see if he ends up a better hitter. Manny defensively at 3B was other worldly. 

I agree with the sentiments expressed that we should try to do everything that we can to lock him up long term as the pattern has been established by many other teams with young stars.

I know it's only been a few days in the bigs, but when you know you know! The kid can do it all!

People comparing him to Manny in terms of specialness are on to something. He has that kind of special, superstar potential. A little different kind of player- left handed, more foot speed, maybe Many had more first reaction quickness in the field and maybe a little better arm, Gunnar definitely has the superior plate discipline especially compared to a young Manny at the same age. Both are incredible in their own rights.

Maybe this time, instead of letting top end talent walk into somebody else's uniform and spend his prime with them, we can finally add some numbers up in the rafters to add to our franchise's pantheon? (#4, 5, 20, 33, 8, 42)

As long suffering fans over the last almost 40 years, we deserve some of the good/great times ahead from #2, #35, and whatever number Grayson might take when he get's here. 

Oh PS the last #35 wasn't too bad in his own right here. Unfortunately, it did end the way we all wanted. Hopefully, things are a changing now.