Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Mateo is reborn.  He's a professional hitter having professional AB's.  He's spitting on sliders off the corner.  It's beautiful!

Sarcasim aside, he took several walking steps before running and still made a triple with ease.  You can teach everything in the game except speed.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Sarcasim aside, he took several walking steps before running and still made a triple with ease.  You can teach everything in the game except speed.

The outfielders bungled the carom off the wall pretty badly, or the fact fact he spent a second admiring his hit would have cost him. I’m glad about the result but he needs to be going full speed out of the box there.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, yark14 said:

He's got power, speed, and a really good arm.  The one thing holding him back to this point has been his hitting.  Lately, he resembles a hitter.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He's got power, speed, and a really good arm.  The one thing holding him back to this point has been his hitting.  Lately, he resembles a hitter.

He’s a force on the bases. It’s looking like he’s geared to have a bigger 2nd half. Remember, last season with us was his first time getting “everyday” ABs. No doubt the pitchers adjusted to him, now he’s had to adjust himself. 

People are too quick to write players off. Just alone this season players like Khreibel, Baker and Watkins were written off. 

We’re nitpicking the 9th place hitter on the team instead of looking at the 1-6 hitters that aren’t really having “big” years. Some of those guys need to turn it on. Mateo is just fine. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s a force on the bases. It’s looking like he’s geared to have a bigger 2nd half. Remember, last season with us was his first time getting “everyday” ABs. No doubt the pitchers adjusted to him, now he’s had to adjust himself. 

People are too quick to write players off. Just alone this season players like Khreibel, Baker and Watkins were written off. 

We’re nitpicking the 9th place hitter on the team instead of looking at the 1-6 hitters that aren’t really having “big” years. Some of those guys need to turn it on. Mateo is just fine. 

Amen!!!!!

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Too quick to write players off?

He has over 700 games and well over 3000 PA of or start mediocre MiL play.

He has another 500 ML PA of awful hitting.

He is already 27 years old.  He has had a ton of evaluation time.  Acting like people are writing him off with no info is ridiculous.  And people aren’t even writing him off.  Some want him to keep starting, others want him to have a UTI role.  No one is saying to cut him get rid of him etc…

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Too quick to write players off?

He has over 700 games and well over 3000 PA of or start mediocre MiL play.

He has another 500 ML PA of awful hitting.

He is already 27 years old.  He has had a ton of evaluation time.  Acting like people are writing him off with no info is ridiculous.  And people aren’t even writing him off.  Some want him to keep starting, others want him to have a UTI role.  No one is saying to cut him get rid of him etc…

Which do you want?  I believe you wanted him reduced to a utility role and replaced by Paul Dejong.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Which do you want?  I believe you wanted reduced to a utility role and replaced by Paul Delong.

Yea I did.  At this point, since he seems like he can stay at SS (at least for now), bring up Gunnar and play him everyday(well, play him most days).

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Which do you want?  I believe you wanted him reduced to a utility role and replaced by Paul Dejong.

I'm not really sure what he wants... but based on my observations over the last couple years I think he wants Mateo levels of performance, but would really prefer to pay $20M a year for it.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s a force on the bases. It’s looking like he’s geared to have a bigger 2nd half.

I’m just curious, what makes you say that Mateo looks geared to had a bigger 2nd half?   He has been on an uptick the last 20 games or so (.822 OPS since June 25), but he could just as easily go up or down from here IMO, based on how his season has fluctuated.   I certainly hope you are correct.   

I don’t think criticizing a .610 OPS qualifies as “nitpicking.”   I think he’s had a good season despite his OPS, but there’s no question that’s a bad number.   I hope it improves in the second half.  

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just curious, what makes you say that Mateo looks geared to had a bigger 2nd half?   He has been on an uptick the last 20 games or so (.822 OPS since June 25), but he could just as easily go up or down from here IMO, based on how his season has fluctuated.   I certainly hope you are correct.   

I don’t think criticizing a .610 OPS qualifies as “nitpicking.”   I think he’s had a good season despite his OPS, but there’s no question that’s a bad number.   I hope it improves in the second half.  

They altered his stance and he has seen immediately improvement. Palmer has discussed this extensively on the telecasts.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If Westburg and Henderson were on this team, Mateo would be a utility player at best.

At best? He's been worth 2 WAR already this season. I'm not convinced rookie Westburg puts up 2 WAR in his first pro half. 

9 minutes ago, TheWall said:

At best? He's been worth 2 WAR already this season. I'm not convinced rookie Westburg puts up 2 WAR in his first pro half. 

Mateo isn’t in his first pro half.  He is out of options which means he’s been on 40 man rosters at least 4 years.  Westburg hasn’t been on a 40 man at all.

Mateo is 27.  Westburg is 23.

I’m not letting a couple of hot weeks make me think he’s better than Westburg.  We’ll see.