Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

20 hours ago, foxfield said:

Soon, we will get a glimpse of what type of org Elias is shooting for....are we loading up for a 3-5 yr run like DD?  Or are we shooting for something along the lines of Tampa where we maximize value under control and then regardless of who it is spin em off.  I honestly have no idea, but how this works is going to be a challenge for us that may take getting used to....of course as long as it involves winning....we will all come around.

We are shooting for what the Astros have done and are doing.   Definitely not looking for a 5-year run that ends with a crash and burn.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

We are shooting for what the Astros have done and are doing.   Definitely not looking for a 5-year run that ends with a crash and burn.  

Frobby, I could not agree more. I think there are folks here who have seen us struggle so long, they want to go all in...at any chance.

On 7/25/2022 at 6:13 PM, foxfield said:

Soon we will get a glimpse of what type of org Elias is shooting for....are we loading up for a 3-5 yr run like DD?  Or are we shooting for something along the lines of Tampa where we maximize value under control and then regardless of who it is spin em off.  I honestly have no idea, but how this works is going to be a challenge for us that may take getting used to....of course as long as it involves winning....we will all come around.

We never at any point had a system under DD remotely near what Elias has now. Whatever we do we are starting from a much better place. And even Tampa does some loading up when they smell the playoffs. I might be wrong but I don't see going back to the DD strategy for many, many years and not under Elias. 

• Like 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

We never at any point had a system under DD remotely near what Elias has now. Whatever we do we are starting from a much better place. And even Tampa does some loading up when they smell the playoffs. I might be wrong but I don't see going back to the DD strategy for many, many years and not under Elias. 

I agree.  My point was really to highlight what DD did...which was to maximize winning now and what Elias is doing.  Becuase DD would have moved anyone who could not play now to get a piece that could get him to the playoffs today.

Elias is not going to do that.  Those that want him to "go for it" now are going to be disappointed in my opinion.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Apples and oranges.   DD said win now from day one.  Elias said lose for a few years and build.

Edited by wildcard

Just now, wildcard said:

Apples and oranges.   DD said win now for day one.  Elias said lose for a few years and build.

Id prefer to see it as DD said win now from day one....Elias said were gonna take awhile to win but when we get there were gonna stay.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Apples and oranges.   DD said win now from day one.  Elias said lose for a few years and build.

I think that is my point. We're in a different place because we've followed a completely different strategy. When Elias started we were in a much worse situation than DD inherited. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I am curious to see what Tampa does this week.    Last year I was proud of them for paying the early price to win Nelson Cruz.      Wander and the Chris Archer trade haul I think gives them a shot at higher highs than they are used to having.   This year's McClanahan supernova kind of covers what Glasnow-Baz might have been if all those guys were at their 50th percentile projections.

What's the Wander injury timeline?    I feel the initial X weeks might have been too low.   He's already like Trout/Superman, where it can only be "back spasms" and he'll be back tomorrow until the Ugly Truth can no longer be hidden.

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think that is my point. We're in a different place because we've followed a completely different strategy. When Elias started we were in a much worse situation than DD inherited. 

IDK, the team Buck inherited was really bad. That is an interesting question. They were both absolutely awful. And the organization was in the dark ages throughout the time. 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

IDK, the team Buck inherited was really bad. That is an interesting question. They were both absolutely awful. And the organization was in the dark ages throughout the time. 

Buck inherited a bad team but there were some young players and some pieces in the farm to work with.  Adam Jones, Weiters, Tillman, Britton all of those guys were in the system when DD took over and were big parts of the winning teams.  I don't think there is anyone that was in the system when Elias took over and will be part of winning teams.  Granted the time tables are different.

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

They were certainly in similar situations though I believe the farm system was more highly regarded when Buck got here. I think a big benefit Buck had when he first got here was that the division, from top to bottom, wasn't near as strong as it is now. The Rays were not quite at the level they've been recently, the Blue Jays were mediocre, the Yankees were getting old and the Red Sox, outside of their infuriating fluke WS run, were downright terrible the years we made the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1