Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

12 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Mateo isn’t in his first pro half.  He is out of options which means he’s been on 40 man rosters at least 4 years.  Westburg hasn’t been on a 40 man at all.

Mateo is 27.  Westburg is 23.

I’m not letting a couple of hot weeks make me think he’s better than Westburg.  We’ll see.

I'm not saying he's better long term. I'm just saying he isn't a utility player at best just because they call Westburg up. There is a world where he continues to play SS and Gunnar / Westburg take 3B / 2B with Urias handling the utility spot. There is also a world where Westburg struggles and Mateo / Urias are better. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I’m happy he’s contributing now.  We’ll see how the future goes.

It's a shame he seems to have hit a bit of a groove right before the all star break. I hope he picks it up when we get back to work in a week. 

Though both Westburg and Henderson hit for over a 1.000 OPS after being promoted to AAA in June they are both slumping in July.   Westburg  has a 633 OPS in July and Henderson's is  585.   While both these player's futures are bright I doubt Elias promotes them while they are slumping.

Mateo has a 765 OPS in July and he is a better defensive SS than either Westburg or Henderson.

The O's AAA infielder that deserves a promotion is  Vavra who 925 OPS in July and an 896 OPS at AAA  in 195 plate appearances.   He is a 2B and is likely to share time with Odor while taking Arauz spot on the 26 man roster after the break.

Westburg's and Henderson's time is coming in the not too distance future but its not here yet IMO.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Though both Westburg and Henderson hit for over a 1.000 OPS after being promoted to AAA in June they are both slumping in July.   Westburg  has a 633 OPS in July and Henderson's is  585.   While both these player's futures are bright I doubt Elias promotes them while they are slumping.

Mateo has a 765 OPS in July and he is a better defensive SS than either Westburg or Henderson.

The O's AAA infielder that deserves a promotion is  Vavra who 925 OPS in July and an 896 OPS at AAA  in 195 plate appearances.   He is a 2B and is likely to share time with Odor while taking Arauz spot on the 26 man roster after the break.

Westburg's and Henderson's time is coming in the not too distance future but its not here yet IMO.

They need to get a look at these guys and let them get their feet wet this year.  That’s way more important than playing Mateo every day.

Now, if you want to a wait a few more weeks, that’s fine but it needs to happen this year.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They need to get a look at these guys and let them get their feet wet this year.  That’s way more important than playing Mateo every day.

Now, if you want to a wait a few more weeks, that’s fine but it needs to happen this year.

If the O's stay in contention I think there is a good chance that Westburg and Henderson are called up this season to help out.    But if they fall out of contention then putting them on the 40 man roster takes two spots that Elias can use to protect other players from the Rule 5 draft. I don't think we see them if the O's are not contending.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's stay in contention I think there is a good chance that Westburg and Henderson are called up this season to help out.    But if they fall out of contention then putting them on the 40 man roster takes two spots that Elias can use to protect other players from the Rule 5 draft. I don't think we see them if the O's are not contending.

The impact on the 40 man is an interesting thought. Plus wait a couple more weeks in 23 and you have an extra year of control.

On the other hand, if the O's are in contention that probably means Mateo and Urias are playing well. Do we really switch out our whole infield in the midst of a run? Maybe bring up Westburg for 2B? 

If Mateo can continue his improvement at the plate he either solidifies his hold on the SS job or becomes a pretty interesting trade piece.

Urias seems like another player potentially increasing his trade value.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I'll be disappointed if Elias doesn't prioritize their 125 at-bats before OD 2023 over some Zach Pop to be named later.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Contention has zero to do with it. You want to contend next year and these guys getting their feet wet is important.

Adley has been just ok with the bat.  Had they brought him up last year when I felt they should have, Adley would probably be hitting at a far higher level right now.

These guys should be on the team from day 1 next year.  Get them the needed time.  

I'll throw this here as Mateo's good play and the Holliday pick reduce the chance a SS/2B will be bought (though high AAV short-term for an older guy like Xander I wouldn't hate), leaving Arms almost the only thing to buy with $$$.

Musgrove and SDP apparently getting close to chopping the head off the 2023 FA SP class, and Szymborski included 5-year updated forecasts on all this offseason's front-line pitchers.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/projecting-a-joe-musgrove-contract-extension/

It basically puts Musgrove at about the Ray-Gausman level, and his forecast 16 WAR next 5 years tower over all others:

Eovaldi 11, Manaea 10, Kershaw 9.5, Syndergaard 9, Taillon 8, Bassitt 8, Clevinger 7

Age-30 Snell on the 2023 Padres it projected 1.1 WAR in 90 innings, so maybe a 2.5-win guy with a full workload and a decent season.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Contention has zero to do with it. You want to contend next year and these guys getting their feet wet is important.

Adley has been just ok with the bat.  Had they brought him up last year when I felt they should have, Adley would probably be hitting at a far higher level right now.

These guys should be on the team from day 1 next year.  Get them the needed time.  

are you not concerned about service time at all and all 3x of them (westburg, Gunnar, and Adley) hitting free agency at the same time? People are advocating for Hall to be brought up as well.

5 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

are you not concerned about service time at all and all 3x of them (westburg, Gunnar, and Adley) hitting free agency at the same time? People are advocating for Hall to be brought up as well.

Trade some, extend some.

Someone like Hall might be an up and down player that ends up taking longer to reach free agency.

Even if you call all those guys up you still have 3 top 5 draftpicks sitting there.  The system should be set up that you can reload.

8 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

How many players league wide are worth worrying about after they're eligible for FA? More often than not it's a blessing for the team they're leaving and a curse for the one signing them up for a new contract.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

No I’m not.  I’m concerned with winning.