Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

51 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Worth 2.0 WAR so far with about half a year left.  That is insanely good value for a pre-arb player.   We have control of him for 3 more years after this....all arbitration years.   Really hard to say what the answer to the question is though.

Then you have the TEAM LEADER in WAR is Urias at 2.6.  He isn't even arb eligible until 2024.   I think you have to see what you have with him for a little bit.   

Gonna be very interesting to see how Elias makes room for Westburg and Henderson and Vavra in the near future.   I guess Odor's spot is vulnerable at least.

I hope we see Vavra sooner rather than later. I think Henderson and Westburg easily unseat some guys, but not sure Vavra does until we see him in the big leagues. 

As much as we like Odor's leadership, I think eventually you have Henderson, Westburg and Vavra take the spots of Arauz, Nevin and Odor on the team, but finding the playing time becomes tougher. Injuries will happen, but you would imagine Henderson and Westburg when called up (this year or next) will get playing time. That leaves one infield starting spot (and maybe one day a week off for Henderson and Westburg) for Vavra, Mateo, and Urias. 

If we trade both Mancini and Santander, you would bring up Stowers to get most of the ABs for one of them, but it would open up DH which can be rotated through as well. 

For now, I just want to see Vavra up to see if he's an everyday option or a utility guy. 

20 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I would imagine with his athleticism, speed and arm he would play a pretty solid cf? Does anyone know if he's ever played there?

If the plan is to move Henderson to 3rd and Westberg to 2nd Mateo could then be the everyday ss at least until Holliday is closer, but if not it would be nice to have him as a utility guy. With his speed, defense and charisma he would be quite valuable.

Then what do you do with Urias, our current WAR leader? It's a great problem to have but it is a problem. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Then what do you do with Urias, our current WAR leader? It's a great problem to have but it is a problem. 

I'd move Urias as part of a package with a bullpen arm. Mateo's speed, defense and ability to still bases will come in handy off the bench in close games.

1 hour ago, jrobb21613 said:

I'd move Urias as part of a package with a bullpen arm. Mateo's speed, defense and ability to still bases will come in handy off the bench in close games.

I agree with the first part. I don’t believe they will try to put Mateo in a UT bench role. He needs to play everyday. He is improving with the bat. The reason he is so raw is that Oakland/SD brought him up and sat him. Sporadic playing time stunted his development. He is too good defensively at the most important position on the field. The bat has much more upside, too much to just put him on the bench. Guys like him do not do well in a reserve role. In his mind, he’s a SS, an excellent everyday SS. I think he’s right. He is too proud to take a bench role well at this point. They’ll have an absolute mess on their hands. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I agree with the first part. I don’t believe they will try to put Mateo in a UT bench role. He needs to play everyday. He is improving with the bat. The reason he is so raw is that Oakland/SD brought him up and sat him. Sporadic playing time stunted his development. He is too good defensively at the most important position on the field. The bat has much more upside, too much to just put him on the bench. Guys like him do not do well in a reserve role. In his mind, he’s a SS, an excellent everyday SS. I think he’s right. He is too proud to take a bench role well at this point. They’ll have an absolute mess on their hands. 

For the past couple months I have been thinking Mateo will be a great bench player when the younger guys come up and the team becomes a contender.  I had not thought of it from this angle but can see your point.  Will be interesting to see if the FO views it the same way.  Do you look at Mateo as our future short stop and Westburg / Henderson at 3rd and 2nd? Or Mateo traded?

We have a lot of options on our future infield both next year and beyond with the continued emergency of Urias as a viable regular and with Mateo showing signs of becoming something more than a liability offensively.

3B Henderson  SS Mateo  2B Westburg   Urias traded

3B Henderson  SS Westburg   2B Urias    Mateo traded

3B Westburg   SS Henderson  2B Urias    Mateo traded

3B Henderson  SS Mateo  2B Urias 1B Westburg   (This is one I just thought of yesterday.   Westburg has enough bat for 1B and could be GG type over there, potentially.

I have to stope here and I haven't even gotten Vavra into the mix.   

Future SS:  Henderson, Westburg or Mateo

Future 3B:  Urias, Henderson, or Westburg

Future 2B:  Urias, Westburg, Vavra

Future 1B: Mountcaste, Stowers, Westburg Vavra

54 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

For the past couple months I have been thinking Mateo will be a great bench player when the younger guys come up and the team becomes a contender.  I had not thought of it from this angle but can see your point.  Will be interesting to see if the FO views it the same way.  Do you look at Mateo as our future short stop and Westburg / Henderson at 3rd and 2nd? Or Mateo traded?

For now, yes sir. Not sure how the Orioles see it, but that’s my opinion. He knows he is electric and in his prime years. He’s mercurial in his emotions. I see it when a called strike he disagrees with.

I have not seen Henderson or Westburg much at SS, being completely honest. I do think it will be difficult for either to be better defensively than Mateo right now. Ideally, let Mateo keep improving at SS, then move him when someone makes him expendable. Whomever that is. With all of the young pitchers we are ushering in, I believe there is great value in turning as many outs into outs as possible.

Elias and Hyde may feel differently, but that is my inflation-depreciated $.02.

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We have a lot of options on our future infield both next year and beyond with the continued emergency of Urias as a viable regular and with Mateo showing signs of becoming something more than a liability offensively.

3B Henderson  SS Mateo  2B Westburg   Urias traded

3B Henderson  SS Westburg   2B Urias    Mateo traded

3B Westburg   SS Henderson  2B Urias    Mateo traded

3B Henderson  SS Mateo  2B Urias 1B Westburg   (This is one I just thought of yesterday.   Westburg has enough bat for 1B and could be GG type over there, potentially.

I have to stope here and I haven't even gotten Vavra into the mix.   

Future SS:  Henderson, Westburg or Mateo

Future 3B:  Urias, Henderson, or Westburg

Future 2B:  Urias, Westburg, Vavra

Future 1B: Mountcaste, Stowers, Westburg Vavra

Whoever will  gets  Elias  the starter he wants will be a big consideration.   Henderson may be off the table but the rest could be in the negotiations.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

A 30% strikeout rate for his career.   Since July 8, 3 strikeouts in 38 plate appearances.   That's a 7.8% rate.    I know it's a SSS but I find that amazing!!!!!

I have it on good authority that he has received specialized batting instruction, where they have told him that when he swings the bat, the object is to strike the ball.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

I have it on good authority that he has received specialized batting instruction, where they have told him that when he swings the bat, the object is to strike the ball.

More importantly, his bat can now reach the ball when he swings.

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

That sounds so simple, maybe it will work.  Mateo's speed is so great, any ground ball is a potential hit.  Striking out at 30% rate is like throwing away 30% of his at bats.  I really hope the O's can remake him as a contact hitter.  The 200 strikeouts he'll get with his old plate discipline/decisions is not worth the 10-15 HR he will hit. 

44 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That sounds so simple, maybe it will work.  Mateo's speed is so great, any ground ball is a potential hit.  Striking out at 30% rate is like throwing away 30% of his at bats.  I really hope the O's can remake him as a contact hitter.  The 200 strikeouts he'll get with his old plate discipline/decisions is not worth the 10-15 HR he will hit. 

He’ll hit 20 if he makes consistent contact.  He hasn’t cut down on his swing as much as he’s adjusted it.

Mateo has tools that cannot be taught.  The question the Orioles have to answer is how much can they unlock with the hit tool.  I don't care who they drafted...if they can get this guy to hit....

The issue will be a common thread for our Orioles going forward and one we are not necessarily accustomed to in the past.  We are going to have capable to above average or even better guys and will have to decide who to keep, who to invest FA dollars into, or when to trade for the next pieces. 

Soon, we will get a glimpse of what type of org Elias is shooting for....are we loading up for a 3-5 yr run like DD?  Or are we shooting for something along the lines of Tampa where we maximize value under control and then regardless of who it is spin em off.  I honestly have no idea, but how this works is going to be a challenge for us that may take getting used to....of course as long as it involves winning....we will all come around.