Rougned Odor 2022

OsFanSinceThe80s

Odor had a -0.5 WAR coming into tonight's game and is on pace for a -4.7 WAR season currently. The Orioles have other options at 2B that were already in the organization even if they aren't any good. 

Neither is Odor and the Orioles have to pay him the veteran minimum for this season. Which normally wouldn't be a big deal to most teams, but with Odor it probably keeps him safe until August. 

Bannon, Jahmai Jones and Vavra are all on the 40-man roster. All of them are at least 24 years-old and Bannon and Vavra are OPSing .850+ at Norfolk. All 3 are at risk of losing their 40-man roster spots by the offseason. Would much rather see one of them than Odor at this point.

I doubt that any of the 4 (including Odor) are likely to be Major League contributors in three years, but I would rather spread the service time around if we are going to be a bad team.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Bannon, Jahmai Jones and Vavra are all on the 40-man roster. All of them are at least 24 years-old and Bannon and Vavra are OPSing .850+ at Norfolk. All 3 are at risk of losing their 40-man roster spots by the offseason. Would much rather see one of them than Odor at this point.

I doubt that any of the 4 (including Odor) are likely to be Major League contributors in three years, but I would rather spread the service time around if we are going to be a bad team.

Owings, Odor cut, recall Martin & Nevin imo

7 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Owings, Odor cut, recall Martin & Nevin imo

Not sure what Martin has done to earn a spot. Would rather have a second baseman with a bat, with Mateo and Urias splitting shortstop and playing the occasional second. Have no problems cutting Owings for Nevin though.

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Not sure what Martin has done to earn a spot. Would rather have a second baseman with a bat, with Mateo and Urias splitting shortstop and playing the occasional second. Have no problems cutting Owings for Nevin though.

He's OPSing .837 at Norfolk this year. Not that I expect that to carry over against MLB pitching (in fact, I would be shocked if he OPSed .650), and SSS, but it's about as well as he's ever hit. 

19 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

He's OPSing .837 at Norfolk this year. Not that I expect that to carry over against MLB pitching (in fact, I would be shocked if he OPSed .650), and SSS, but it's about as well as he's ever hit. 

Can't say I have super strong feelings about it, just don't think it is ideal roster management to have 3 players capable of playing shortstop on the MLB roster rather than someone who is not a shortstop but offers more pop.

It is all deck chairs on the Titanic anyway, as we are talking about a bunch of players who are too old to be prospects, who wouldn't have 40-man roster spots on a good team, and who I would have no qualms with cutting loose when Adley is added.

When in doubt, make someone else's MLB dream come true, rather than someone like Martin who has already spent time in the Majors and is older than Vavra, Jones and Bannon.

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Can't say I have super strong feelings about it, just don't think it is ideal roster management to have 3 players capable of playing shortstop on the MLB roster rather than someone who is not a shortstop but offers more pop.

It is all deck chairs on the Titanic anyway, as we are talking about a bunch of players who are too old to be prospects, who wouldn't have 40-man roster spots on a good team, and who I would have no qualms with cutting loose when Adley is added.

When in doubt, make someone else's MLB dream come true, rather than someone like Martin who has already spent time in the Majors and is older than Vavra, Jones and Bannon.

Vavra is on the IL. Jones isn't hitting, and Bannon has 6 errors in 17 games to begin the season.

Martin has an 837 OPS and has not made an error in 10 games playing SS at AAA this year.  I am not saying now but  maybe in the next two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...