28 to 26 cutdown 48 hours away

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nothing really matters until Adley, G-Rod and others arrive.  Gutierrez, good defense but replaceable.  He might get picked up but it's doubtful.

Owings somehow making the cut doesn't make sense but whatever.  Fretting over the deck chairs of the last two roster spots on a last place team is relatively meaningless.  

Only a half game behind Boston.

Boy have they sucked or what?

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nothing really matters until Adley, G-Rod and others arrive.  Gutierrez, good defense but replaceable.  He might get picked up but it's doubtful.

Owings somehow making the cut doesn't make sense but whatever.  Fretting over the deck chairs of the last two roster spots on a last place team is relatively meaningless.  

Yeah can't disagree with this. Gutierrez was not likely to survive the season and neither is Owings. Or Lakins. 

It's distressing how little viable depth we have at IF right now though. And the guys at Bowie we hope to see soon are all pretty much struggling except for Gunnar. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'd expect Boston to pick it up a bit, but who knows.  

Certainly not mad at it though, I hate Boston more than the Yankees.

Same, I'd rather see the Red Sox struggle than the Yankees if they both can't suck. It's all due to the fanbase, the Red Sox fans are the worst I've encountered in all of MLB. 

• Like 1

I don't really understand the curiosity or handwringing over the of keeping Owings or Odor.  It seems pretty obvious to me.  You send McKenna down becuase he has a move and you dont want to lose him yet.  You DFA Gutierrez and hope he makes it through but wont cry if he does not.  Owings is not a piece of any puzzle and it is likely that when he and Odor are moved, it will be for good.  Those two spots are going to be replaced and when they are....they will be gone. 

18 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yeah I have no problem with dropping Gutierrez but why option McKenna instead of getting rid of Owings? It’s like he’s this year’s Valaika, only worse. 

I'm convinced it's because they don't want Urias at SS. Owings can back up SS and OF. I think he's on this team until pitchers go down to 13 unless someone else DFAs someone better than can play SS. Honestly, I'd much rather see Urias at SS on occasion and keep McKenna or see someone else, but alas, I don't see the Orioles doing that. Unfortunately, it appears Bannon, Martin, and Jones have all cooled off and with Diaz and Vavra injured, the options to recall at AAA are suddenly much more limited.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Yeah I have no problem with dropping Gutierrez but why option McKenna instead of getting rid of Owings? It’s like he’s this year’s Valaika, only worse. 

Yeah, that's a headscratcher. McKenna at least brings defense (though he dropped that easy ball) and speed. I'm not sure what Owings brings but like Lakins, he seems to be a guy they like for some reason. Urias can fill in at SS and 3B so there's no need for Owings. 

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

I'm convinced it's because they don't want Urias at SS. Owings can back up SS and OF. I think he's on this team until pitchers go down to 13 unless someone else DFAs someone better than can play SS. Honestly, I'd much rather see Urias at SS on occasion and keep McKenna or see someone else, but alas, I don't see the Orioles doing that. Unfortunately, it appears Bannon, Martin, and Jones have all cooled off and with Diaz and Vavra injured, the options to recall at AAA are suddenly much more limited.

i don't think Urias is great at SS, but I see no reason you can't play him there in a spot. I've seen nothing from Owings that suggests he's some defensive wizard there either. Owings is like Flaherty but he doesn't hit left-handed.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.   The last couple of roster spots on this team are the least of my worries.  

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Same, I'd rather see the Red Sox struggle than the Yankees if they both can't suck. It's all due to the fanbase, the Red Sox fans are the worst I've encountered in all of MLB. 

It was an absolute delight not having any of them, that I could see or hear, anywhere near our season-tickets section yesterday. I was so dreading being around them - and they were nowhere to be found!

Just what I'd expect. Bandwagoners, every damn one of em with their "grandpa" and "aunt irene" stories from childhood trips to Fenway. 

(Said in good humor - sort of 😁)

~~~~

To be on track with the thread, positional flexibility sure seems to be the number one priority with these guys. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

i don't think Urias is great at SS, but I see no reason you can't play him there in a spot. I've seen nothing from Owings that suggests he's some defensive wizard there either. Owings is like Flaherty but he doesn't hit left-handed.

Owings is like Flaherty but he doesn't hit.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, that's a headscratcher. McKenna at least brings defense (though he dropped that easy ball) and speed. I'm not sure what Owings brings but like Lakins, he seems to be a guy they like for some reason. Urias can fill in at SS and 3B so there's no need for Owings. 

Could be they are just trying to get McKenna some regular AB's for a couple weeks? I do think with our rortation we need the extra pitcher more than the bench player. I really don't have a strong feeling between Owings and McKenna but it's probably more important to have a backup SS than CF.

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I really don't have a strong feeling between Owings and McKenna but it's probably more important to have a backup SS than CF.

Also, Hays can play center if needed.  And, we have other options (though not great ones) for the corners if needed.

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Could be they are just trying to get McKenna some regular AB's for a couple weeks? I do think with our rortation we need the extra pitcher more than the bench player. I really don't have a strong feeling between Owings and McKenna but it's probably more important to have a backup SS than CF.

Lotta outfield talent in Norfolk, not sure how McKenna will be able to get regular ABs.