Tonight's victory. 3 vents.

RZNJ

1. Austin Hays - 2nd and 3rd and 1 out. 3-2 pitch.  You're guessing 100% for the breaking pitch.  You take a thigh high fastball that cut the plate in two. Really?

2. Chris Owings - You aren't hitting all year.  Can you put a sac bunt down?  A popup turned DP.  Really?

3. Dillon Tate. You've been around a few years.  The catcher feels he needs to calm you down twice and then you throw one of the worst HBP that I've ever seen.  Really?

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1. Austin Hays - 2nd and 3rd and 1 out. 3-2 pitch.  You're guessing 100% for the breaking pitch.  You take a thigh high fastball that cut the plate in two. Really?

2. Chris Owings - You aren't hitting all year.  Can you put a sac bunt down?  A popup turned DP.  Really?

3. Dillon Tate. You've been around a few years.  The catcher feels he needs to calm you down twice and then you throw one of the worst HBP that I've ever seen.  Really?

Great team win, when it seemed all but certain they were going to blow it. But you're right, those gaffes were butt-ugly.

I thought the 3-2 pitch to Hays was excellent.   Looked to be a couple of inches off the plate and then tailed back in at the last second.  The swing at the breaking ball bothered me more, though it wasn’t off the plate by much.  Just didn’t like swinging at it on a 3-1 count.  Anyway, I’ll forgive Hays.   Nice catch in the bottom of the 9th of a sinking liner slicing towards the line.   He got a great jump on that ball.

The Owings bunt sucked but at least he hit a double and scored our first run.   The bunt was awful and a guy like him really does need to to a better job.  It won’t be the last time he’s asked to bunt if he remains on the team for any length of time.   The pitcher did a nice job of deking and letting it drop, but got a little lucky because it backspun a bit when it landed.  

Tate, I got nothing.  And neither did he.  Terrible outing all around.  The two outs he recorded were rockets and he lost all command.   Great job by Felix to douse the blaze.   

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think there's a worse play in baseball than a failed sac bunt double play that erases the runner in scoring position. Absolutely brutal.

I think Melvin Mora getting thrown out on a sacrifice fly to end the game  - when he wasn't even the tying run, and tying run was on 2nd - is the worst baseball play I've ever seen.

But certainly, that was a poorly executed bunt, to be kind.

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Save your rants for the losses - there are plenty of opportunities!  Enjoy the win.

Despite these fair points, that was one of the best wins in a long time. 

• Dominant start from a SP prospect featuring electric stuff.
  • Huge fireman-style save from a RP prospect featuring the highest velocity in Orioles history. 
  • HR from the guy we hope upgrades 3B for a little while, and he made a nice play as well.
  • Big hits from Trey, Mullins, Santander. 
  • All in front of a huge crowed in a stadium none of them have ever played in before. 

Just a fun game to witness. 

42 minutes ago, connja said:

Save your rants for the losses - there are plenty of opportunities!  Enjoy the win.

I enjoyed it quite a bit but I remembered being annoyed at those 3 things. Just felt like sharing. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I think Melvin Mora getting thrown out on a sacrifice fly to end the game  - when he wasn't even the tying run, and tying run was on 2nd - is the worst baseball play I've ever seen.

Well, one is bad execution, the other is outright not understanding the situation. The latter is worse.   I’ve seen a few dumb plays snd that one was up there.  Mora also had a penchant for bunting without instructions in situations where it made no sense and the runners were caught off guard.  

I remember a game where our Rule 5 pick, Jose Morban, jogged home on a deep fly in the ninth inning, thinking there were two outs already.   He easily could have tagged up and scored the tying/winning run (I forget which). Somehow he managed to get back to 3B because of a bad throw, but the run scoring chance was gone, and the next player made the third out.   That’s tied with Mora for the most boneheaded play I’ve seen by an Oriole in a really critical situation.  

6 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

The Mora thing was up there, though. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

2 words: Ruben Rivera

• Haha 1