Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

Originally Posted by tsand72 View Post

Jeter at Tex's age??? ARE YOU CRAZY????

Teixeira has played on how many teams... 3. Has he ever shown one ounce of the leadership, charisma, and insane clutch play that Jeter has?????

Could you please list his accolades... that make him worthy of $180 million?

Seriously... please name one signature moment that shows this guys brass.

I can't think of a single one.

He's a lifetime .284 hitter who averages 30 dingers a year. He has 2 gold gloves in 6 years.

That's nice and all... but is that worth $180 million????

You have got to be crazy.

But, I would love to hear about his signature moments... and they have to be good... because, frankly, watch a very VERY young Evan Longoria dominate a divisional series, they way he did... and he isn't anywhere close to even $60 mil on his contract.

This seems as if it is coming from a person who doesn't know a whole lot about baseball. It is either 1. A joke 2. He is part of the Jeter Family 3. A typical non-baseball intelligient bandwagon yankee fan. or 4. Doesn't even know who Jeter is and just heard about him once.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think its safe to assume either lowell or ortiz come back 100% next year and with drew's history of injuries a lot could go wrong this year without tex. Even if all those players stay healthy and perform well, it would still be difficult to compete with the yankees and rays. I don't think tex is such a luxury to the sox as many think.

But what happens if they ARE all healthy?

I mean are you going to bench Lowell? Are you going to platoon Ortiz and Tex at DH?

Ortiz was playing at 60% for most of last year and he did fine, they gave him a giant contract and he ain't going anywhere. Lowell and Drew are going to be hard to move because of their deals.

So you trade Youk? He would be the easiest to move and probably get you a huge return, but that would be dumb.

How much of the contracts of Drew and/ or Lowell are they going to have to pick up to move them?

How much will Tex REALLY cost the Sox next year?

Teixeira has a .919 lifetime OPS, he is a gold glove first baseman. He avergaes 36 HR a season.

Jeter is a HORRENDOUS defensive SS, and his .845 OPS pales in comparison to Tex.

You are basing your opinion of meaningless awards and oublic recognition and ignoring all the statistics that say Jeter isn't in the same stratopshere as Mark Teixeira.

I think a decent case could be made that Jeter in his prime was better offensively than Teixeira in his prime, compared to their positions. Getting the production Jeter provided from a SS is very valuable, perhaps more valuable than the production Tex provides from 1B.

Defensively Jeter is the among the worst SS in the game, and Teixeira is among the very best defensive 1B, so Tex comes out way ahead there.

I don't care about any of the voodoo about one guy being a leader or a winner and someone else not being so. I'll take on the field performance over locker-room performance every day of the week.

They were commenting on Manny on how his antics would be more than welcome in DC since it would at least create a buzz for the city and attention for the team. All 3 of them really thought Manny was the best option for the team if they could snag him.

I agree Manny would be the better option for the Nationals. And maybe he wouldn't be such a bad idea for the Orioles. If Tex doesn't sign with the Orioles, Manny might be an interesting fallback.

I have both loved and despised him during his Sox career, but most of the time it was much more good than bad. First of all, he was the best right handed batter I have ever seen in person. His reputation as a flake was well earned but no one worked harder at hitting nor was a smarter hitter than Manny.

The Red Sox fans adored him; something the media never understood. I think what the fans loved most about him was his obvious love for the game of baseball. His actions, at times disrespected the game but when he was on the field, his enthusiasm showed.

Most of us wish it hadn't ended the way it did. In the end, there was no way to avoid trading him because he was clearly going to do anything and everything to force his way out of town.

While he told the world, once arriving in LA, how much he disliked his time here but even then, said good things about the fans. He criticized the front office which is ironic since they went out of their way to overlook his immature actions because he always produced on the field.

Teixeira has played on how many teams... 3. Has he ever shown one ounce of the leadership, charisma, and insane clutch play that Jeter has?????

He's a lifetime .284 hitter who averages 30 dingers a year. He has 2 gold gloves in 6 years.

But, I would love to hear about his signature moments... and they have to be good... because, frankly, watch a very VERY young Evan Longoria dominate a divisional series, they way he did... and he isn't anywhere close to even $60 mil on his contract.

It all boils down to this. The market doesn't care what you think or what anyone else thinks. The market is what it is.

Remember, Jeter's contract was 10 year, $190 mm -- and that was signed in 2001. Factor in that Jeter wasn't a free agent at the time, and inflation, and Jeter's contract is much bigger in relative terms than the contract under discussion for Teixeira.

Jeter is simultaneouly a deserving Hall of Fame candidate, and the most overrated player of his generation. He's had some "signature moments" as you put it, but mainly because the talented team around him has put him in a position to have those moments.

Basically, Teixeira is the current version of Rafael Palmeiro (forgetting the steroids part). That's worth a lot of money.

Teixeira has a .919 lifetime OPS, he is a gold glove first baseman. He avergaes 36 HR a season.

Jeter is a HORRENDOUS defensive SS, and his .845 OPS pales in comparison to Tex.

You are basing your opinion of meaningless awards and oublic recognition and ignoring all the statistics that say Jeter isn't in the same stratopshere as Mark Teixeira.

That is completely wrong on so many levels. Have you not watched Jeter play? I'm a yankee hater, and even I have recognized that they guy is a flat-out winner.

Stats are not the whole story. I lived in Philly for the majority of Bobby Abreu's years. That guy was a stat stuffer... and you know what? He wasn't even close to being a game changing leader. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Don't believe me? Go to Philly and talk to any baseball fan. On paper Abreu would have appeared to be one of the pro's best... his stats might have been better... but he wasn't a game changer.

This Teixeira guy... has he ever hoisted a team on his back and carried them? I think not. If he has, I haven't seen it. And I'm not sure you could detail a series where he sacrificed his body in the stands, or came up with amazing clutch plays on the field... or pummeled an opposing pitching staff to the point that simply walking him was almost the best solution.

You guys are talking about giving this kid one of the largest contracts in the history of the majors... and you can't even tell me, beyond a Bobby Abreu stat quote, evidence of this guys heart and game changing leadership/play.

I agree Manny would be the better option for the Nationals. And maybe he wouldn't be such a bad idea for the Orioles. If Tex doesn't sign with the Orioles, Manny might be an interesting fallback.

I have both loved and despised him during his Sox career, but most of the time it was much more good than bad. First of all, he was the best right handed batter I have ever seen in person. His reputation as a flake was well earned but no one worked harder at hitting nor was a smarter hitter than Manny.

The Red Sox fans adored him; something the media never understood. I think what the fans loved most about him was his obvious love for the game of baseball. His actions, at times disrespected the game but when he was on the field, his enthusiasm showed.

Most of us wish it hadn't ended the way it did. In the end, there was no way to avoid trading him because he was clearly going to do anything and everything to force his way out of town.

While he told the world, once arriving in LA, how much he disliked his time here but even then, said good things about the fans. He criticized the front office which is ironic since they went out of their way to overlook his immature actions because he always produced on the field.

Has Manny ever given his thoughts on being a full time DH? Is he one of those players that demands to play the field and claims his numbers are negtively impacted if he doesn't? That's were his future should be -- a hired gun at DH in the Amercian League.

I have been reading all this from the begining I signed up for the plus membership days ago still not active but i figured this whole thing out.

Red Sox call out Boras he gets pissed and agrees with a deal to get the O's tex. They dont announce it so he can really mess with the sox ad gets a deal done quickly for manny to become a yank. they agree to this because they know tex is going to the o's they get manny and the sox can't turn around and get tex now.

I kid I kid but it would be funny

I do love a good conspiracy theory, especially that one!

Archived