Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

This Teixeira guy... has he ever hoisted a team on his back and carried them? I think not. If he has, I haven't seen it.
If you haven't seen it, then you didn't watch Teixeira play in Anaheim this season.
Year Ag Tm  Lg  G   AB    R    H   2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB CS  BB  SO   BA   OBP   SLG *OPS+  TB   SH  SF IBB HBP GDP +--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+---+---+        LAA AL  54  193   39   69  14  0  13   43   2  0  32  23  .358  .449  .632  180  122   0   5   4   4   4

He was probably the best player in the AL for the time he was in the AL this year.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's investing in Manny would be going in the wrong direction IMO

It screams Sammy Sosa all over again.

Absolutely correct! Manny can still hit, that's the big difference between he and Sosa. However, Teixeira presents a unique opportunity to put a face on a franchise that has lacked one since Ripken retired. Manny is just a jerk, to put it nicely.

I agree Manny would be the better option for the Nationals. And maybe he wouldn't be such a bad idea for the Orioles. If Tex doesn't sign with the Orioles, Manny might be an interesting fallback.

I have both loved and despised him during his Sox career, but most of the time it was much more good than bad. First of all, he was the best right handed batter I have ever seen in person. His reputation as a flake was well earned but no one worked harder at hitting nor was a smarter hitter than Manny.

The Red Sox fans adored him; something the media never understood. I think what the fans loved most about him was his obvious love for the game of baseball. His actions, at times disrespected the game but when he was on the field, his enthusiasm showed.

Most of us wish it hadn't ended the way it did. In the end, there was no way to avoid trading him because he was clearly going to do anything and everything to force his way out of town.

While he told the world, once arriving in LA, how much he disliked his time here but even then, said good things about the fans. He criticized the front office which is ironic since they went out of their way to overlook his immature actions because he always produced on the field.

Manny is the best Right handed hitter I've ever seen. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Remember, Jeter's contract was 10 year, $190 mm -- and that was signed in 2001. Factor in that Jeter wasn't a free agent at the time, and inflation, and Jeter's contract is much bigger in relative terms than the contract under discussion for Teixeira.

Jeter is simultaneouly a deserving Hall of Fame candidate, and the most overrated player of his generation. He's had some "signature moments" as you put it, but mainly because the talented team around him has put him in a position to have those moments.

Basically, Teixeira is the current version of Rafael Palmeiro (forgetting the steroids part). That's worth a lot of money.

For the record, I'm not a Jeter fan... even though it may seem it... and I only picked him because he has been a winner.

period.

Even though his career took off with that little punk - Jeff Maiher - catching his NOT home home.

I say Jeter is a winner because he changed the course of games... single handedly... not one but multiple times, to bring home Championships or perpetuate Championship runs. That is how you become a captain of a team.

He's won 3 gold gloves... he's a 9 time all star... rookie of the year... Minor league player of the year (I'm pulling all of this off of Wiki). He has more hits than any other Yankee at Yankee stadium and is second on the Yankees all time hit list. He's a lifetime .316 hitter. This is the Yankees we are talking about... not the KC Royals.

So for you to imply that I am somehow insane or an inferior baseball fan because I'm referencing Jeter as a great player... is weak.

You're telling me that you wouldn't have wanted Jeter to play his years out in Baltimore???????????

Please.

There is such a huge difference between some paper stats and someone who not only performs above average but also has the ability to carry a team while on the field.

If I say that I wasn't able to read much OH this weekend, but I didn't really miss anything at all, would that be an accurate assessment?

Of course not. Every post you missed was inciteful, cogent, on point and enlightening. Each advanced human knowledge. You are clearly the less for having missed them.

You would be well advised not to let this error in judgement recur.

That is completely wrong on so many levels. Have you not watched Jeter play? I'm a yankee hater, and even I have recognized that they guy is a flat-out winner.

Stats are not the whole story. I lived in Philly for the majority of Bobby Abreu's years. That guy was a stat stuffer... and you know what? He wasn't even close to being a game changing leader. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Don't believe me? Go to Philly and talk to any baseball fan. On paper Abreu would have appeared to be one of the pro's best... his stats might have been better... but he wasn't a game changer.

This Teixeira guy... has he ever hoisted a team on his back and carried them? I think not. If he has, I haven't seen it. And I'm not sure you could detail a series where he sacrificed his body in the stands, or came up with amazing clutch plays on the field... or pummeled an opposing pitching staff to the point that simply walking him was almost the best solution.

You guys are talking about giving this kid one of the largest contracts in the history of the majors... and you can't even tell me, beyond a Bobby Abreu stat quote, evidence of this guys heart and game changing leadership/play.

I think "leadership" every time Jeter watches a ground ball up the middle that every AL shortstop reaches roll safely into the outfield.

I guess by "hoisting a team on his back" you mean hitting slightly worse in the postseason than he does in the regular season.

As a Yankee hater, you should know that you don't HAVE to buy into the media love affair with Jeter. People who know baseball know the guy has some serious shortcomings, especially on defense.

I think all of this talk about Mark Teixeira has gone completely NUTTY.

Okay, so he's a nice player... but come on. This guy is no D. Jeter. He might have a better personality and be a better teammate than A-Rod, but he certainly isn't as "skilled." He doesn't have the absolute game changing ability of, say Manny... and if he does, I simply haven't seen it. And, it's funny, I have a ton of friends -- including one die-hard Braves fan -- make very similar comments.

You're right he's a much better hitter, he's not the worst fielder in the league at his position (he's actually a deserved Gold Glove winner) and he won't be the most overpaid player in baseball.

Jeter at Tex's age??? ARE YOU CRAZY????

Teixeira has played on how many teams... 3. Has he ever shown one ounce of the leadership, charisma, and insane clutch play that Jeter has?????

Could you please list his accolades... that make him worthy of $180 million?

Seriously... please name one signature moment that shows this guys brass.

I can't think of a single one.

He's a lifetime .284 hitter who averages 30 dingers a year. He has 2 gold gloves in 6 years.

That's nice and all... but is that worth $180 million????

You have got to be crazy.

But, I would love to hear about his signature moments... and they have to be good... because, frankly, watch a very VERY young Evan Longoria dominate a divisional series, they way he did... and he isn't anywhere close to even $60 mil on his contract.

How many signature moments could he have starting his career in Texas during the Arod anchored down years. To me- look no further than last year's playoff appearance with the Angels. He was clutch in the field- and batted over .400. If his teammates had chipped in- he may have made more of a name for himself in the post season- but really- he showed the guts and moxy of any player I watched last post season. He's put up numbers consistently while bouncing between 3 teams the past 2 years.

Jeter came up to a team full of winners. There was never much pressure on HIM to be the guy. it was always a great team and Jeter matured into the leader that he is today- IMO, he became a byproduct of the culture and players around him... a la Tom Brady in football. Comparing him and his situation to Teixeira isn't fair in my book.

It's obvious that the teams in pursuit of Tex are well aware of his skills and what he brings to the table. If he comes here, maybe we'll get a feel for what type of leader he can be, but until then- belittling his value seems pointless- because to us as Orioles, it goes well beyond the stats anyway.

Archived