Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

There is absolutely no way they are going to sign Tex with the contract they have versus what Boston is offering....All I am saying is put yourself on a level playing field with Boston...Then, from there you can what Boston will do if they are getting the idea that Tex will sign here.

Offering what everyone else is offering has nothing to do with succumbing to pressure. It is just leveling the playing field.

To begin with you have no idea what Boston's offer is or what ours is for that matter. Just idle media speculation, which some of the more gullible seem to take for Gospel. If Boston's current offer is indeed the highest, then eventually Boras will come to us to match it or top it. If he doesn't, then Tex never wanted to play here, so who cares what our first offer was.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Boras really wanted Tex in Boston he would be by now. Boras is simply squeezing teams for every dollar he can - aka - doing his job. I also think that if Tex really wanted to go to Boston - he wouldn't have let Boras push the Sox FO to say they wouldn't be a "factor" any longer.

Fair enough. I have a feeling that if the Orioles don't wrap up Tex tomorrow that they may not. The Yankees will get involved and it'll become a New York/Boston thing and we don't really want any part of that. We'll see. Let's hope there's news soon.

It's hard to tell when this thing is going to end. It's hard to decipher who has and has not made offers. I do have a feeling that Mark wanted this thing done before Christmas. I actually believe he knows where he wants to go. I think this deal gets announced later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

But what if you bump it too much?

Maybe if both Boston and us were offering 8/170, he signs here.

Perhaps you bump it to 8/180 and didn't need to go that high?

That's where I think our biggest difference of opinion is... I don't think he's signing anywhere if two teams are offering 8/170. He'll wait it out until someone blinks or someone else gets involved. The winner of the Sweepstakes is going to win by tacking on an extra year they were adamently against doing earlier in the process or raising the $ per year... I don't think he signs until there is significant separation (10-20m?) between suitors.

The idea that Boras is "intent" on putting Tex in any particular location is utterly absurd.

Boras wants only one thing, to get the most money possible. Where that happens to be is secondary at best.

This is Scott Boras we're talking about. Black helmet. Cape. Breathes heavy. Carries that odd little red laser sword.

Boston is the player at the table with the most amount of money to be had. I'm just saying something is very fishy. The Nats being mentioned at all seems fishy. Everyone is saying Boston is in the lead except Boston, who claim to be out of it, is fishy. Baltimore, the hometown team with a severe hard-on for Tex not even being mentioned in most conversations, is fishy.

Is Tex single-minded and looking for money and a world series ring? Does he really actually gave a rat's #$@ about Baltimore and its fans? And why aren't we hearing anything about marching out Cal or Brooks or Palmer or anybody associated with "the Oriole Way" when he basically did it for us when we were trying to sign Wieters? Is MacPhail really that incredibly tight-lipped? If so, then we know absolutely nothing now and will know nothing until he's marched out for a press conference announcing the signing. It all just seems very strange to me. A cross between a chess game and a David Lynch movie.

That isnt how this business works. If Mark accepts he will be faxed a sign sheet with the agreed upon deal then fly to Baltimore or where ever to take a physical and be introduced to the media. Going into a meeting room with an agent and team is usually chaos, add in the risk of upsetting the player and it's easy to see why management trys to stay away from players unless it is a gauging interest type of meeting.

I do not work in the front office, but didn't Boston just fly to Mark to get him to sign the contract right there? So Boston can fly to Mark, but Mark can not fly to Baltimore?

So he is allowed to negotiate with teams without the presence of Boras?

He's allowed to do anything he wants. He's the client after all.

Representation agreements usually don't restrict the client. If there are any restrictions they will probably focus on what Boras can and can't do, not on limiting Tex.

Now being able to negotiate for himself and it being a smart idea are two different things. Boras will almost certainly have asked Tex to allow all negotiations to flow through Boras' office. But there's no law or anything that would prevent Tex from talking to various clubs or individuals associated with clubs if he chose to do so.

To begim with you have no idea what Boston's offer is or what ours is for that matter.J ust idle media speculation, which some of the more gullible seem to take for Gospel. If Boston's current offer is indeed the highest, then eventually Boras will come to us to match it or top it. If he doesn't, then Tex never wanted to play here, so who cares what our first offer was.

Agreed - I find it very difficult to gauge actual contracts offered through all the media BS. I think AM should stand firm until the final hour. For all we know, Boras leaked the 175 number attached to Bostons offer. Again, it's speculation that we will have the last say - but I think that is our golden ticket, if in fact we do have it...

The league can not approve of it, but I think that they couldn't stop it.

The owners(who are the league) would love it. It's the players union who would have problem because they'd be concerned that a team with all its lawyers and business mind could take advantage of a ballplayer.

Archived