Thursday, June 2: Rubber Match vs Mariners

SteveA

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Lyles had some good defense behind him in his last start in Boston too.   He was not pitching well, and that 3 run (3rd?) inning easily could have been a 5 run inning if not for some good defense.  

And despite a couple plays, he has had some very good defense behind him tonight too.

Don't know if that was really a misplay by Owings, but I wonder if Mateo could have made it.    We'll be lucky if Lyles survives this one.

Feeling pain of using Akin in low leverage last night now.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Don't know if that was really a misplay by Owings, but I wonder if Mateo could have made it.    We'll be lucky if Lyles survives this one.

Yeah, wasting your best length reliever in a 9-2 game is questionable at best, dumb at worse.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Lyles gotta make better pitches. He had to battle this start but certainly was throwing garbage in the 6th inning.

His K rate is not terrible but he isn’t the kind of guy who can get one when he needs it.  

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I didn’t get that last night at all. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, wasting your best length reliever in a 9-2 game is questionable at best, dumb at worse.

It was also a team that scored 10 runs the previous game.  Nothing can be taken for granted when you're the Orioles and wins have been few and precious for several years.  I can understand not wanting to take any chances or tempt fate in that situation.

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

It was also a team that scored 10 runs the previous game.  Nothing can be taken for granted when you're the Orioles and wins have been few and precious for several years.  I can understand not wanting to take any chances or tempt fate in that situation.

It was the 8/9th innings. He did only throw 18 pitches. I know he had sit for 3 days. I would not have used him. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I didn’t get that last night at all. 

Yeah, and then he used Perez and Bautista.   Now those two guys have pitched back to back nights, but still you can see Perez is struggling on the btb tonight, and now he won't be available tomorrow.

There had to be a better way to finish that game without using Akin & Bautista.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, and then he used Perez and Bautista.   Now those two guys have pitched back to back nights, but still you can see Perez is struggling on the btb tonight, and now he won't be available tomorrow.

There had to be a better way to finish that game without using Akin & Bautista.

Krehbiel and Gillaspie. 

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

The puzzle of surviving June-July without Grayson now might be too tough.    Isn't hard to picture a cascade taking a lot of the shine of April-May feel good stories.

I guess Spenser Watkins' contusion recovery is back to being relevant.

I said it before. I see a lot of similarities with 2011. The position players are good enough to compete if healthy. Pitching lacks depth. Some of these pen arms will regress some as well.