MASN announcer propaganda

Tony-OH

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean it's baseball so sure, I'll be OK.

But these teardowns don't always lead to winning teams, look at the Phillies.

I think it is very fair to question where the team is and how the future looks.

Exactly. Why is it unfair to ask these legitimate questions over the current state of the major league team and minor league system? Why because MASN tells you this is an exciting team that wins games they wouldn't last year? Because someone said they had a top ranked farm system coming into the year?

As an analyst, I'm just putting the facts together piece by piece as we have more information, and the information is not looking great. How long are we ok with being a last place team that tries hard and has fun in the dugout?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean it's baseball so sure, I'll be OK.

But these teardowns don't always lead to winning teams, look at the Phillies.

I think it is very fair to question where the team is and how the future looks.

Yep, I was happy to go into the teardown and give Elias a very long leash, because I lived through the 14 straight losing years where nearly EVERY single year, the team was trying to put a "good" team on the field that year.

So I was more than happy to go through some abysmal years at the beginning.

But we are at the point where progress needs to be shown, at both the major and minor league level.   I don't like the overall pitching depth of our minor league system.   I am not sure our player development is any better.   I can cherry pick and see signs like overall hitters onbase% in the minors and pitchers throwing strikes throughout our system.   So there is definitely SOME positive there.   But we are definitely at the point where we need to see results.   We went super heavy on college bats several drafts in a row and despite that, 3 of our 4 minor league teams have losing records despite our strong farm system rating.   I do understand that the international pipeline will be very slow developing and won't even start making a significant dent at Norfolk/Bowie until about 2025.   IIWII.

I'm not completely negative about the situation, but I wanted to see more results by now.   The 5.13 ERA of the pitching staff in Bowie does not bode well for the next few years.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tony-OH said:

It's ok though to just admit you haven't put in the work to answer. It sucks when you do put in the work and then people who haven't take shots at you.

Ah, so that's what it is.  It's about you, the work you put in and people disagreeing with you and you taking it personally.  Or you not getting enough credit when you're correct.

For the record, I actually agree with you when it comes to what we thought we should see by now.  I agree that there are some nuggets on offense but the pitching leaves much to be desired.  Like I said, I do believe we're a step up from the types of guys were were trotting out in '18-'20 but it's still a far cry from where we need to be.  Hence why I said MAYBE about that trio of pitchers because I certainly don't think any of them are a 100% lock to be here.  

I got into a twitter spat a few days ago with some of the chodes from one of the other Orioles sites about how Zach Peek is a guy to watch out for.  Like, c'mon, seriously?  There's certainly a segment of the fanbase that thinks anyone in the system can turn out to be a contributor of the next good team and it is annoying.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ah, so that's what it is.  It's about you, the work you put in and people disagreeing with you and you taking it personally.  Or you not getting enough credit when you're correct.

For the record, I actually agree with you when it comes to what we thought we should see by now.  I agree that there are some nuggets on offense but the pitching leaves much to be desired.  Like I said, I do believe we're a step up from the types of guys were were trotting out in '18-'20 but it's still a far cry from where we need to be.  Hence why I said MAYBE about that trio of pitchers because I certainly don't think any of them are a 100% lock to be here.  

I got into a twitter spat a few days ago with some of the chodes from one of the other Orioles sites about how Zach Peek is a guy to watch out for.  Like, c'mon, seriously?  There's certainly a segment of the fanbase that thinks anyone in the system can turn out to be a contributor of the next good team and it is annoying.  

Yea, I keep hearing about all the pitching depth we have from the "twitter/podcast experts" out there.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm not completely negative about the situation, but I wanted to see more results by now.   The 5.13 ERA of the pitching staff in Bowie does not bode well for the next few years.

That staff has also been ravaged by injuries, of which the club has given very little update regarding what they are.  I think at one point the entire starting staff was on the IL. So they've been piecing it together for sure. 

36 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Wow, too bad I can't listen to radio at work.   Tony is going to be on 105.7 at 12:15, and he's fired up!

Vinnie and Haynie aren't going to know what hit them.

Well I’m listening and certainly they’re not talking to Tony.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Well I’m listening and certainly they’re not talking to Tony.  

Hmm.... I was driving in to work and they were mapping out what they would have on their show today, thought I heard them say they would have Tony Pente at 12:15.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Over the last 30 days the O's offense has the 4th highest scoring team in the AL with 4.36 runs per games.   4th is a playoff caliber offense.

The O's pen so far this season has the 5th best ERA in the AL with a 3.19 ERA.  Again  a playoff caliber pen.

However the O's starters are 14th in the AL with a 4.95 ERA.  Tyler Wells is doing well with a 3.71 ERA but the other starters are 4.50 ERA or worse.   Grayson is supposed to help the O's improve the starting pitching but that is now delayed.  Kremer is next man up.  Lets see what he can do.

As we saw in May when Moutcastle, Hays and Mateo went down at the same time there is not a lot of depth in the offense.    Stowers could help that some when he is ready. The O's can rotate the three outfielders, Mancini and Mouncastle with Stowers giving each a day off every 5 days.   That puts one of them on the bench.

Screaming and yelling about Owings being on the team is a waste of time.  He doesn't play enough to  have a real impact on the offense and he plays well enough defensive to not bring the defense down.

I think there should be some concern about Adley throwing.  If the O's are going to play close games they can't be having their catchers throwing the ball into centerfield on a regular basis.   Adley offense is not a big concern at this point to me.  It will just take a little time for him to adjust to major league pitching.

As far as MASN hyping their product,   pretty much every team does that and if they don't we should be asking why they are not.

I really can't blame Elias for the team .415 win percentage.  Its not Elias fault that his #1 starter Means got injured.  Its not Elias fault that Grayson got hurt.   In fact many fans would say that Elias has been toooooo protective of Grayson.   

It was Elias that moved Tyler Wells out of the pen.  He appears to be doing well in the rotation.   He signed Lyles and if we consider him a back of the rotation innings eater he is doing pretty well.   For 1/7M we should not expect Garrett Cole results.  

So if the offense and pen are doing well and the starters are the problem then injuries have dealt Elias a bad hand.   But hopefully Grayson will be back and Kremer is next man up.   We will see what happens.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Wow, too bad I can't listen to radio at work.   Tony is going to be on 105.7 at 12:15, and he's fired up!

Vinnie and Haynie aren't going to know what hit them.

I'm on at 1230, but I'm always nice on there! I'm not sure we have the time to get into too much of the issues.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I really can't blame Elias for the team .415 win percentage.  Its not Elias fault that his #1 starter Means got injured.  Its not Elias fault that Grayson got hurt.   In fact many fans would say that Elias has been toooooo protective of Grayson.   

It was Elias that moved Tyler Wells out of the pen.  He appears to be doing well in the rotation.   He signed Lyles and if we consider him a back of the rotation innings eater he is doing pretty well.   For 1/7M we should not expect Garrett Cole results.  

So if the offense and pen are doing well and the starters are the problem then injuries have dealt Elias a bad hand.   But hopefully Grayson will be back and Kremer is next man up.   We will see what happens.

It's year four and we can't blame the guy in charge for the product on the field?

I don't blame Elias for the .415 win % because frankly I don't think he cares.  Their offseason activity made it clear that 2022 still wasn't a season where winning was a priority.

The other stuff though - no one can predict a specific player injury, but you certainly have to anticipate injuries, particularly to your pitching staff.  I always liked the way Palmer described it..."we waited until we thought we had enough pitching, then we went out and got another pitcher".

Every team gets injuries. It's the good GMs that have built the depth in the system to sustain winning when injuries occur. Elias has not shown an ability to build successful AAA depth and his system certainly does not have the pitching to counteract injuries. 

The Yankees were decimated with injuries for a bit. How did they do?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's year four and we can't blame the guy in charge for the product on the field?

Some people will never blame him for the product on the field. It's injuries, bad luck, COVID, short spring training, blah blah blah. But every other GM has been given the same issues.  

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Every team gets injuries. It's the good GMs that have built the depth in the system to sustain winning when injuries occur. Elias has not shown an ability to build successful AAA depth and his system certainly does not have the pitching to counteract injuries. 

The Yankees were decimated with injuries for a bit. How did they do?

I wonder if the fandom is placing too much blame on Elias.

Does he have a better budget to work with, for payroll?