Winter 2022 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d looked at their Bowie numbers.  Roberts 10 in 505 innings (1 every 50.5 innings), Handley 7 in 570 innings (1 every 81 innings).   Still advantage Handley, but closer, and neither particularly good.   Major league average is one every 205 innings.  My guess is that minor league PBs are higher partly due to the skill of the catchers, partly due to pitchers missing their targets badly more often.  

Boy did Severino not come close to that 205 innings mark very often! lol

True Roberts has improved a bit with his receiving and i have no idea how either of them frame balls though from watching, seems like Handley is pretty good and stealing strikes though AA umpires can be wildly inconsistent so that's tough to judge.

Either way, as I showed, Handley bat should play better overall. 

For me, Handley is 40 level prospect while Roberts is a 35.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:37 PM, RZNJ said:

Yusniel Diaz?  He arguably hasn’t done anything since we traded for him.  Goodbye!

If Diaz is not DFA'd I'd be shocked. I suppose he could be a throw in player in some deal, but if he's on the 40-man roster when the Rule 5 draft occurs I'll be shocked. He's a guy who can't stay healthy and probably needs a change of scenery and even then, the hit tool have not improved and he still has very little plan at the plate.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

253 relievers threw at least 30 innings this year.  He was 167th in ERA..the bottom third of the league.he’s a 5th/6th guy in your pen.  They are easy to find if you try.  They should be even easier to develop.

BTw, he was 226th in K rate.

I think he's a guy who protect if you have a spot, but if you need one for a better player, then I'd be ok with him being dropped off. There's a lot more guys who can go before him. His .317 wOBA (10th best on the team) is just a little over major league average of .310 and that was after a pretty bad second half where as Frobby pointed out, he may have just worn down. 

He's a decent 6th inning guy or the guy you bring in for two when you are up or down by 3 or more. If you can find something better then he can be replaced, but he's not a guy I'd focus on getting rid of this season. There have been flashes a brilliance with, but he's coming up on 30-years old which again, makes him a low end bubble guy for me.

The orioles will probably have around 38 guys on the 40 man by the rule 5 draft. If you’re taking more guys off of it then you need to put more players on. There aren’t that many options to add that I see a situation where bubble guys like Zimmerman are left off and bubble guys like Handley aren’t added. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think he's a guy who protect if you have a spot, but if you need one for a better player, then I'd be ok with him being dropped off. There's a lot more guys who can go before him. His .317 wOBA (10th best on the team) is just a little over major league average of .310 and that was after a pretty bad second half where as Frobby pointed out, he may have just worn down. 

He's a decent 6th inning guy or the guy you bring in for two when you are up or down by 3 or more. If you can find something better then he can be replaced, but he's not a guy I'd focus on getting rid of this season. There have been flashes a brilliance with, but he's coming up on 30-years old which again, makes him a low end bubble guy for me.

Yea, I agree with this.  He’s definitely down the list of guys I would cut but I also wouldn’t hesitate to do it if we had to.  Chances are they won’t need to add 15 guys to the 40 man this offseason, so it’s probably a moot point but once you get into that area of needing to drop the 10th guy off the current 40 man list, his spot becomes precarious.

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What makes you think other teams value him?

Wow. I expected more of a homer question like "what makes you think the O's don't value him?"

To answer your question, it's an assumption that a young, successful, left hander with good enough velo would be pretty highly valued. Heck, I think the O's should value him, but I don't think he's their "type." I just doubt that they value him as much as I assume other teams might. 

I think it's more likely that he gets 1/2 the year in AAA and then promoted to Baltimore, but I think he's a guy with trade value that they might be more willing to part with in a big trade.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I personally would protect Handley and as long as you felt he can handle it defensively, I would have him as the back up C on OD.

His familiarity with the players, especially the pitchers, is a nice commodity to have imo.

With enough spots available, he might be someone you protect while also signing another guy to be the opening day backup.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I personally would protect Handley and as long as you felt he can handle it defensively, I would have him as the back up C on OD.

His familiarity with the players, especially the pitchers, is a nice commodity to have imo.

I haven't really looked at the list yet of players who need to be protected, so I can't say whether I'd protect him or not. If they can sign Gallagher to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training, then I would not be too worried about protecting Handley. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

253 relievers threw at least 30 innings this year.  He was 167th in ERA..the bottom third of the league.he’s a 5th/6th guy in your pen.  They are easy to find if you try.  They should be even easier to develop.

BTw, he was 226th in K rate.

You see, my attitude is they’re not that easy to find, especially at the league minimum.  The guys who are easy to find are the ones who are borderline major leaguers, who get shuttled up and down.  Think Diplan, or Reyes.   The guys who are 5/6 guys aren’t the best guys in the pen, but they’re better than the guys below them in the pecking order.  You can’t just assume a guy you get off the waiver wire can be that guy.   

Just now, Frobby said:

You see, my attitude is they’re not that easy to find, especially at the league minimum.  The guys who are easy to find are the ones who are borderline major leaguers, who get shuttled up and down.  Think Diplan, or Reyes.   The guys who are 5/6 guys aren’t the best guys in the pen, but they’re better than the guys below them in the pecking order.  You can’t just assume a guy you get off the waiver wire can be that guy.   

No you can’t assume it but if you believe in Elias, you should.  A 4 ERA, low K reliever just isn’t difficult to find.

On 10/1/2022 at 5:17 PM, RZNJ said:

You would think so, considering that most teams just prioritize having a backup catcher who plays good defense.   On the other hand, someone said there isn't much history of teams taking catchers in the rule 5.   

He had a low BA this year but high OBP (.352/almost 12% BB rate) and some power (11 HR in 300 AB's). Relative to the position I think it's a little unfair to pigeon hole him as defense-only. If he is as good at defense as folks are saying, I would be inclined to protect him. Seems like we have the space and 2nd C is a priority.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2022 at 2:06 PM, luismatos4prez said:

End of minor league season thoughts

Protect:

1. Grayson Rodriguez

2. Joey Ortiz

3. Drew Rom

4. Seth Johnson

5. Noah Denoyer

Don't Protect:

6. Maverick Handley

7. Ignacio Feliz

8. Garrett Stallings

9. Brennan Hanifee

10. Zach Peek

-

This is my final answer. It was fun to track how the list changed throughout the year in this thread. Joey Ortiz went from bubble to lock and Noah Denoyer went from unknown to protection-worthy. I think I'll start this thread in spring next year to track the rise and fall better.

I didn't mention guys like Adam Hall or Robert Neustrom, because I think there's no chance. But, I would have said the same about Logan Gillaspie last year. We'll see if Mike agrees with me or throws another curveball.

I still go back and forth on Handley, but ultimately think it's unlikely a team selects a catcher who's never played at AAA.

Any disagreements?

This is a self-congratulatory post, but I’m pleased I got it right after tracking this all year. Not that the picks were too difficult this year. It will be fun to track again next year

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1