Winter 2022 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

It's mid-June and I'm already thinking about who gets added. Here are the tiers/power ranking as I currently see them:

No-brainers

1. Grayson Rodriguez

2. Kyle Stowers

Probably In

3. Joseph Ortiz

4. Drew Rom

On the Bubble

5. Ignacio Feliz

6. Noah Denoyer

7. Zach Peek

Probably Out

8. Adam Hall

9. Cadyn Grenier

10. Robert Neustrom

11. Cameron Bishop

12. Maverick Handley

13. Garrett Stallings

Those are the only guys worth mentioning, imo. Brnovich had a chance before TJ. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Handley has a shot if his hitting doesn't tank the rest of the year.

If he can hit even a little then he's the type of guy that can play as a backup catcher and won't make it through the Rule V process.

I like Handley, too. But a catcher hasn't been chosen in the Rule 5 Draft since 2016 and it seems unlikely a catcher who has never even caught at AAA would be chosen.

• Like 1

Also semi-off topic, but we were fairly lucky that Rodriguez had his injury in what would likely have been his last start in AAA, rather than in his first start in the majors.  He would’ve been burning his service clock all year while out of action. Unless you believe the injury wouldn’t have happened if he was pitching in Baltimore.  

Good list. I was thinking about this as well in the case of Denoyer. I'd hate to lose Denoyer as well as Feliz. I think we'll find a way to keep them.  Seems like the 40 man still has a good number of expendable slots. (Sulser, Reyes, Voth, Arauz, Bannon, plus we may lose Santander and Mancini among others before decisions have to be made.

31 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Also semi-off topic, but we were fairly lucky that Rodriguez had his injury in what would likely have been his last start in AAA, rather than in his first start in the majors.  He would’ve been burning his service clock all year while out of action. Unless you believe the injury wouldn’t have happened if he was pitching in Baltimore.  

We don't know this.  It's pure speculation.

Others to consider.

Any college player drafted by Elias in 2019 is eligible for the draft.

Lefty Shayne Fontana   LF  294/444/471/915 at Bowie

Connor Gillispie   SP/RP   4-1,  2.65 ERA,  1.08 WHIP, 51 IP, 63K for Ironbirds.  He will probably be promote to AA soon.

Houston Roth  SP    4-1   3.69 ERA,  1.19 WHIP, 53.2 IP,  55K for the Ironbirds.  He will probably be promoted to the Baysox soon.

Morgan McSweeney  RP    3.86 ERA 18.2 IP 23 K at Bowie just promoted to AAA.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Others to consider.

Any college player drafted by Elias in 2019 is eligible for the draft.

Lefty Shayne Fontana   LF  294/444/471/915 at Bowie

Connor Gillispie   SP/RP   4-1,  2.65 ERA,  1.08 WHIP, 51 IP, 63K for Ironbirds.  He will probably be promote to AA soon.

Houston Roth  SP    4-1   3.69 ERA,  1.19 WHIP, 53.2 IP,  55K for the Ironbirds.  He will probably be promoted to the Baysox soon.

Morgan McSweeney  RP    3.86 ERA 18.2 IP 23 K at Bowie just promoted to AAA.

No chance on any of those players.

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I’m keeping Handley over Ortiz at this point. 

Ortiz can play a major league SS, and has experience at 2b and SS.  If he hits at all this year at double-A he'll be taken...because you can easily put him on your bench as a utility player and have him contribute defensive value 

• Like 1