Garcia

Gilaspie

Head

A Wells

Reyes

Nevin

Diaz

Arauz

Yeah, I mean you want some depth just in case someone gets injured, but they have some room. Keep in mind Adley is the only catcher on there, so you'll have to add a backup or two on at some point. Probably increases Handley's odds of being added to the roster

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Also..Martin, Sulser, Vallimont, Voth, Bannon and Phillips.  Arguments for a few others as well

Yeah the only one of those guys I’d be sure to keep that you mentioned is Voth. He’s found something lately, and could be a useful long option in the bullpen. 

15 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yeah the only one of those guys I’d be sure to keep that you mentioned is Voth. He’s found something lately, and could be a useful long option in the bullpen. 

You keep Voth for this year but if you cut him in the offseason, who cares?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If he finishes the year the way his first 31 IP have gone, no way you DFA him, especially with all the other guys who could be let go first. Of course let’s see how the year plays out. 

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Keep in mind you're generally going to want 20-25 pitchers on your 40 man (currently the Orioles have 27, but 4 are on 60 day DL, so 23). Even if you DFA all of your bullpen backup pieces, you're going to have to sign other ones (and if you sign them to MiL deals, you have to re-add them to the roster if you want to recall them anyways). So you might as well keep Voth, he's better then most of your other options. 

Yeah.  Austin Voth makes 875K this year and is arbitration eligible but how much could he possibly get in arbitration.  1.5M  if that?   I think you have to bring him back as a cheap bullpen/swingman type who's capable of filling in to start in an emergency.

He has a 2.84 ERA and a 3.33 FIP with the O's.   He's been pretty valuable in a limited starter role.   His stuff would look to be good as a long man/swing man.   Who knows, depending on the makeup of the team he could possibly even transition into a setup role as a two pitch pitcher.  That 94 mph fastball might be 96-97 in one inning stints.  Paired with a power curveball, might be interesting.

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Keep in mind you're generally going to want 20-25 pitchers on your 40 man (currently the Orioles have 27, but 4 are on 60 day DL, so 23). Even if you DFA all of your bullpen backup pieces, you're going to have to sign other ones (and if you sign them to MiL deals, you have to re-add them to the roster if you want to recall them anyways). So you might as well keep Voth, he's better then most of your other options. 

Voth was nothing before we got him. He’s nothing special.

While I agree he is one of the last players you cut, you will be able to pick up 5 guys just like him this offseason.

You don’t need to put guys you sign to non guaranteed MiL deals on the 40 man.  That’s all Voth is.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

While I agree he is one of the last players you cut, you will be able to pick up 5 guys just like him this offseason.

You don’t need to put guys you sign to non guaranteed MiL deals on the 40 man.  That’s all Voth is.

You could have said the same thing about Jorge Lopez, Jorge Mateo, and a bunch of others.  Pretty poor reasoning.   I think even you said that was poor reasoning.   He's been effective.  PERIOD.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

As the great Can of Corn said (Did I say that?) the bullpen we put together this year is not as easy as it looks.   If it was, why did the bullpen suck so bad the last 2 years?   You don't throw pitchers who have value at minimum salary away so easily and assume that you can get "5 more" to replace them.    

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You do if you want them to pitch for you at some point in the season. Basic roster construction, you're not going to have less then 20 pitchers on the 40 man at any time. The Orioles have cycled through more then that this year. You're also going to have 10 (really 12) position players. The conversation is always about those final few spots

46 minutes ago, seak05 said:

You do if you want them to pitch for you at some point in the season. Basic roster construction, you're not going to have less then 20 pitchers on the 40 man at any time. The Orioles have cycled through more then that this year. You're also going to have 10 (really 12) position players. The conversation is always about those final few spots

And those final few spots will go to the likes of Voth.  Henderson’s spot has zero to do with it. You are drastically overstating your 40 man roster.

The Os need depth and will have depth..adding Gunnar to the 40 man now or in April 2023 doesn’t change that.

• 4 weeks later...

September Thoughts

No Brainers:

1. Grayson Rodriguez

2. Joseph Ortiz

3. Seth Johnson

4. Drew Rom

5. Noah Denoyer 

On the Bubble

6. Maverick Handley

I'd be stunned:

7. Ignacio Feliz

8. Garrett Stallings

9. Adam Hall

10. Shane Fontana

Some of you may disagree about Noah Denoyer being a lock, but he had a great year at Bowie with a lot of strikeouts and low walks. He'll be selected in the Rule 5 if he's not protected.

I'm not sure about Handley. I doubt anyone takes a catcher who's never caught at AAA but maybe his defense is special enough to make up for that.

I don't think any of us even considered Logan Gillaspie a candidate last year, so who knows?

• Upvote 2

On 8/6/2022 at 1:28 PM, Sports Guy said:

And those final few spots will go to the likes of Voth.  

It's kind of incredible what Voth has done pre and post being with the O's.

2022 Nationals: 10.13 ERA over 19 games (18.2 innings). 4.94 FIP, 2.143 WHIP, 16.4 H/9, 3 K/BB

2022 Orioles: 2.72 ERA over 16 games (59.2 innings). 3.68 FIP, 1.14 WHIP, 7.4 H/9, 2.68 K/BB

I'm guessing the advanced stats tell much more about the story of why he's suddenly not getting hit like he used to.

22 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It's kind of incredible what Voth has done pre and post being with the O's.

2022 Nationals: 10.13 ERA over 19 games (18.2 innings). 4.94 FIP, 2.143 WHIP, 16.4 H/9, 3 K/BB

2022 Orioles: 2.72 ERA over 16 games (59.2 innings). 3.68 FIP, 1.14 WHIP, 7.4 H/9, 2.68 K/BB

I'm guessing the advanced stats tell much more about the story of why he's suddenly not getting hit like he used to.

It has been a remarkable turnaround. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, luismatos4prez said:

September Thoughts

No Brainers:

1. Grayson Rodriguez

2. Joseph Ortiz

3. Seth Johnson

4. Drew Rom

5. Noah Denoyer 

On the Bubble

6. Maverick Handley

I'd be stunned:

7. Ignacio Feliz

8. Garrett Stallings

9. Adam Hall

10. Shane Fontana

Some of you may disagree about Noah Denoyer being a lock, but he had a great year at Bowie with a lot of strikeouts and low walks. He'll be selected in the Rule 5 if he's not protected.

I'm not sure about Handley. I doubt anyone takes a catcher who's never caught at AAA but maybe his defense is special enough to make up for that.

I don't think any of us even considered Logan Gillaspie a candidate last year, so who knows?

I have 2 questions -- 1) Given AAA can have 38 people on the roster to protect from Rule 5, how does putting people on the 40-man roster help at all? Some of the people mentioned aren't in AAA yet, and 2) why does an outfielder need to have a stronger bat than an infielder?