Winter 2022 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

2 hours ago, interloper said:

That's crazy talk. No one should be keeping a defense-first catcher over a defense-first SS. 

Pretty cool of you to jump on someone 40 days after they made a statement in which subsequently the player in question is having the hottest stretch of his career. 

Ortiz still needs to prove he can hit over a sustained period and will also need to prove it in Norfolk.  A month ago he was looking like a guy who was about to be losing every day at bats in Bowie. 

6 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Grayson Rodriguez, Stowers and Ortiz are total locks. Ortiz would certainly get taken as utility infielders are (along with hard throwing relievers) the easiest Rule 5 picks to stash. Rom and Handley (assuming they believe he is ready to compete for the backup catchers spot in spring training) are pretty close to locks.

It is almost certainly just those 5 for me, unless someone has a Joey Ortiz month over the last 8 weeks of the minor league season.

Stanford Alumni Fan... so Pro Handley on this one.   

Handley is in a tough spot.  He has only played in 54 games all year compared to 87 for Ortiz.  214 to 373 plate appearances respectively.  Looking at Game Logs, it looks like Handley has only gotten to appear in more than 3 games in a series 5 times and only appeared in 2 games in a series 5 times (out of 17 series).  I would imagine it isvery hard to keep a really good rhythm with play-sit-play-sit-play-sit.  My understanding on Handley's reviews is "He just needs to get more ABs" but with all the High draft pics and Bowie having two guys trying to play 1B... there aren't enough ABs to go around.

Take away his April stats after having sat in the dugout all spring training with maybe 1 AB vs Yankees... his numbers since May 1 are 0.274/0.394/0.493/0.887 over the past 3 months.  His AVG was down a bit July but his OBP and SLG were still right there, but he only got 1 series with more than 3 games and also had a 5 day break.  His OPS for May/June/July has been .857/.959/.835.

TO Manipulate service time and 'hide' him from others, the Orioles can keep him at Bowie and keep playing 1 on and 1 off.  Maybe move him to AAA for the final week or two for a few chances to bat at AAA without showing too much to the other clubs thereby getting him on the AAA roster to avoid him being taken in the MiLB rule 5 portion.  He would be an easy $50K Milb get.  

The Orioles don't have enough depth to let him get taken or release him...  but how much does a club abuse a relationship when there is such a clear gap in 'development' between Adley and everybody else that you don't support your development.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Pretty cool of you to jump on someone 40 days after they made a statement in which subsequently the player in question is having the hottest stretch of his career. 

Ortiz still needs to prove he can hit over a sustained period and will also need to prove it in Norfolk.  A month ago he was looking like a guy who was about to be losing every day at bats in Bowie. 

My bad, I didn't realize the comment I replied to was in June! Makes more sense now. 

25 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

How about this for a cherry pick?  After Handley started 4-41 on the season, from May 10 to June 8th, he hit  0.412/0.492/0.627/1.119 with only 6 Ks.  But those that don't like your opinion at the time are going to cherry pick the hot month now.  Handley has maintained his numbers for the past 90 days for May/June/July hitting 0.274/0.394/0.492/0.887 over that stretch.  

The lack of depth in the O's catching has been apparent with ZERO moves except to cover the Travel Squad and injuries.  Willems (2021 pick) was the only real promotion from FCL to Low A  has been an absolute joke batting 0.155 (24-155) and defensively catching 15 of 66.  Pavolony the 7th rd pick of 2020 is 0.184 (20-109) and catching 11 of 50 attempts.  Ramon Rodriguez is hitting .259 in A+ over 161 AB and similar defensive numbers.  He was even sent to the AZ Fall League last year. 

Maybe they get Handley more AB's in AA, move him to AAA for more than a couple weeks (however, I can see them keeping him down in AA if Bowie has a chance for playoffs...  (because AA titles really matter in the long run) then play in the AZ Fall League.  If he performs there... they would need to put him on 40 man at that point.  But wait... that makes too much sense.  NVM

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Putting aside the two players in question, the statement you make here is highly questionable.   Just to put this on neutral terms, let’s say you have a C and a SS, each of whom hits about 100 OPS points below the norm at his position.   One is a top-tier defensive C and the other is a top-tier defensive SS. You’re saying it’s clear you should protect the SS over the C in that scenario?

I'm not sure it's clear, but I actually do think that in that scenario, both players being equal in terms of OPS+ and defense at their respective positions, a backup SS may be more valuable to a contending team (and I was the backup catcher on my high school team, so you know this hurts my pride to say).

My reasoning is, and this may be stretching the theoretical exercise, in a backup/bench role, the SS has more versatility. I assume they can play the other infield positions and would likely be a better pinch runner late in games than a backup C. It is also dependent on who your primary player at any given position is. If Adley is capable of playing 6 games a week, a backup catcher is less valuable than say, you're rolling with Yadi Molina who is getting old and hurt, and the backup C is pulling 3 games a week. If Adley is cruising, we can roll with Paul Bako for all I care, but it'd be nice to be able to run for say Santander late in games, especially if we get into a 10th inning Manfred-man situation. 

Just my two cents, and with inflation these days I actually probably owe you change. 

I think Handley is the long term back up to Adley. It’s just a matter of when. I think a lot of teams could stomach him being their starter.

The thing is, defense travels, as they say. He’s ready right now to be a defense first backup. He might be ready for more with the bat. If I’m Elias, I’m adding Handley to the 40 man, penciling him in as the opening day backup next season, and then thinking of contingency plans for depth.

Edited by LookinUp

Trying to project  the 40 man for roughly Dec 1 (whenever the official date is for protecting rule 5 eligible: 

Currently on 40 and will be kept (24), Currently not on 40 but will be added 4 + any free agent pickups (light blue means they're currently on the 40man, I also put Lyles on bubble due to contract, but I don't think they'd DFA him)

Locks Bubble non-40 callups
Akin Ellis Gunnar
Baker Garcia Jordan
Bautista Gilaspie  
Bradish Head  
Cano Lains Sr  
Hall Lyles  
Krehbiel Reyes  
Kremer Sulser  
Means Vallimont  
Perez A Wells  
Tate Zimmermann  
Vespi
Nevin
Phillips
Diaz
Martin
Aruaz

Voth Rom  
Watkins Handley  
T Wells Denoyer  
Adley Fontana  
Mateo    
Mountcastle    
Urias    
Vavra    
Hays    
McKenna    
Mullins    
Santander    
Seth Johnson    
Grayson    
Ortiz    
Stowers    

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Trying to project  the 40 man for roughly Dec 1 (whenever the official date is for protecting rule 5 eligible: 

Currently on 40 and will be kept (24), Currently not on 40 but will be added 4 + any free agent pickups (light blue means they're currently on the 40man, I also put Lyles on bubble due to contract, but I don't think they'd DFA him)

Locks Bubble non-40 callups
Akin Ellis Gunnar
Baker Garcia Jordan
Bautista Gilaspie  
Bradish Head  
Cano Lains Sr  
Hall Lyles  
Krehbiel Reyes  
Kremer Sulser  
Means Vallimont  
Perez A Wells  
Tate Zimmermann  
Vespi
Nevin
Phillips
Diaz
Martin
Aruaz

Voth Rom  
Watkins Handley  
T Wells Denoyer  
Adley Fontana  
Mateo    
Mountcastle    
Urias    
Vavra    
Hays    
McKenna    
Mullins    
Santander    
Seth Johnson    
Grayson    
Ortiz    
Stowers    

Everybody you have in the bubble and in blue can be cut, claimed, or passed through waivers and I'm okay with it.

53 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Everybody you have in the bubble and in blue can be cut, claimed, or passed through waivers and I'm okay with it.

Yeah, I don't think they're going to cut all of their bullpen depth, but there's a lot of options in terms of guys we can get rid of if we need space. 

On 6/20/2022 at 11:25 AM, wildcard said:

Others to consider.

Any college player drafted by Elias in 2019 is eligible for the draft.

Lefty Shayne Fontana   LF  294/444/471/915 at Bowie

Connor Gillispie   SP/RP   4-1,  2.65 ERA,  1.08 WHIP, 51 IP, 63K for Ironbirds.  He will probably be promote to AA soon.

Houston Roth  SP    4-1   3.69 ERA,  1.19 WHIP, 53.2 IP,  55K for the Ironbirds.  He will probably be promoted to the Baysox soon.

Morgan McSweeney  RP    3.86 ERA 18.2 IP 23 K at Bowie just promoted to AAA.

Got to keep Fontana.  That OBP is insane.

17 hours ago, seak05 said:

Yeah, I don't think they're going to cut all of their bullpen depth, but there's a lot of options in terms of guys we can get rid of if we need space. 

There’s a lot of guys that I would lose no sleep over seeing them DFAd:

Ellis

Garcia

Gilaspie

Head

A Wells

Reyes

Nevin

Diaz

Arauz