Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

Sounds a little nuts to me.   If Elias makes one major move like trading Mancini that's about all I see him doing.   And that is 50/50.   Trading a bunch on guys at the deadline almost never happens.

Making room on the 40 man with smaller deals for Martin, Nevin, Bannon or Diaz?  I could see that.   

But to me these bigger deals are something that happens in the off season.  If at all.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Where do you think Lopez fits in the Givens-Castro hierarchy?

Givens - was in his Arb 2 year when traded.  Had a 1.38 ERA at the time (but in the short 2020 season), 3.32 career ERA.  Return was Vavra, Nevin and Deson.

Castro - was in his Arb 1 year when traded.  Had a 4.06 career ERA, 4.01 that season.  Return was Kevin Smith and Victor Gonzalez. 

Lopez - is in his Arb 1 season, career ERA 5.55 but 1.62 this year as a reliever.   

I think it depends if teams are looking at him as a late inning reliever.

Smith is currently #16 in a deep system and that’s probably 10-12 in an average system. Not sure where he ranks when you traded for him. Victor G is still a lottery ticket and hasn’t played much this year. I think Lopez’s value is better than Givens if he has closer value.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Where do you think Lopez fits in the Givens-Castro hierarchy?

Givens - was in his Arb 2 year when traded.  Had a 1.38 ERA at the time (but in the short 2020 season), 3.32 career ERA.  Return was Vavra, Nevin and Deson.

Castro - was in his Arb 1 year when traded.  Had a 4.06 career ERA, 4.01 that season.  Return was Kevin Smith and Victor Gonzalez. 

Lopez - is in his Arb 1 season, career ERA 5.55 but 1.62 this year as a reliever.   

I want the Givens deal but better basically. Which is a big ask but we don't need to trade him. We needed to trade Givens.

17 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Your right it’s about the long term plan

But is unfurling the "We give up for 2022" flag with a Mancini rental, or a trade of one or more of the few established players on the team, going to bring back back talent that will improve future Oriole teams? Trading Lopez probably would. Trading Mullins or Hays might. Other than that, I don't see it. 

I do wonder whether the Orioles' ownership, in the midst of heavy (for them) spending to sign the recent draftees, will want to get rid of some salary obligations if the trades can be presented as building for the future.  

19 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

But is unfurling the "We give up for 2022" flag with a Mancini rental, or a trade of one or more of the few established players on the team, going to bring back back talent that will improve future Oriole teams? Trading Lopez probably would. Trading Mullins or Hays might. Other than that, I don't see it. 

I do wonder whether the Orioles' ownership, in the midst of heavy (for them) spending to sign the recent draftees, will want to get rid of some salary obligations if the trades can be presented as building for the future.  

You absolutely could get a piece or 2 for Mancini that could help us long term.  It may just be a good arm in the pen or somethng like that but that is good.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Even if the Mets are still interested, gotta imagine the Orioles leverage has decreased in trade negotiations since the Mets have partially fixed their issue already. 

Not surprised considering their top-priority need was a left-handed power hitter. I would be hesitant to give up too much for Mancini if he's going to be merely a platoon complement for Vogelbach or McNeil.