Nevin

DEOriolesfan

He's in the starting lineup today and I know it's a nice story with his dad in the opposing dugout. But is it fair to say that he should be sent down after this series is over? He's hitting .181 and has 5 hits over his last 38 at bats. Urias will be the everyday 3B going forward and it's not like Nevin is pinch hit guy nor does he qualify as a late inning replacement on defense or as a pinch runner.

Bannon was sent down after 4 games and only 14 AB's. Gutierrez was sent down because he wasn't hitting either. How long of a leash does Nevin get?

2 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

I don't see why Nevin, Urias, and Odor continue to be on the team when Westburg, Henderson and Vavra are playing really well in AAA

Urias had a big hit last night on a tough FB, and he’s been playing well since coming of the injured list. Hopefully, Nevin runs into a FB today, but would love to have Westburg up.  

5 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

I don't see why Nevin, Urias, and Odor continue to be on the team when Westburg, Henderson and Vavra are playing really well in AAA

Yeah, they need to bring up those three guys up and have them take their lumps over the last 12 weeks so they are ready to hit the ground running on Opening Day next year.

I want to figure out whether we can pencil in those 3 for 2B/SS/3B next year or whether they need to add a veteran infielder in the offseason.

Urias and Mateo should be fighting for the utility infielder spot next year but they could probably carry all 5 of them if they felt so inclined.

Nevin is not a big leaguer on a team that hopes to compete. He is a short term fill in for when your 3rd baseman gets hurt. Odor is the same, but at second. Guys that are potentially slightly over replacement level but don't hit enough or play enough defensive positions well enough to carry on a Major League bench.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Urias had a big hit last night on a tough FB, and he’s been playing well since coming of the injured list. Hopefully, Nevin runs into a FB today, but would love to have Westburg up.  

Exactly. Plus Urias, when healthy, provides value because he can play 3B, SS, and 2B. He doesn't kill you at the plate either. 

I can’t fault Hyde for putting out our best offensive lineup of the year. Could this be just a day off for Mateo, or is it an audition for Urias at SS. IMO this opens up the door to bring up Westburg without rocking the chemistry boat. Urias could help the team wean off Mateo as the everyday SS. 

The O's are unexpectedly a fringe playoff contender this year.  They owe it to themselves and the fans to make an honest effort at contending, as long as it doesn't mean mortgaging the future.  To me, that means that it's time to call up Jordan Westburg and give him regular playing time.  He is very likely a better hitter right now than Nevin, Arauz and Mateo, and probably a better hitter than Urias or Odor.   I'm less sure of where he fits best defensively, but unless he is substandard at all three positions there has to be room for him to play.   

Henderson and Vavra are less obvious cases to me--Henderson is slumping and I'm not sure if Vavra's defense can cut it at 2B.  But Westburg has nothing left to prove.  He's ready to help the Orioles win games right now.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DEOriolesfan said:

He's in the starting lineup today and I know it's a nice story with his dad in the opposing dugout. But is it fair to say that he should be sent down after this series is over? He's hitting .181 and has 5 hits over his last 38 at bats. Urias will be the everyday 3B going forward and it's not like Nevin is pinch hit guy nor does he qualify as a late inning replacement on defense or as a pinch runner.

Bannon was sent down after 4 games and only 14 AB's. Gutierrez was sent down because he wasn't hitting either. How long of a leash does Nevin get?

Agree 110%. Spot on. After this series, so many more deserving players at Norfolk (Bannon, my bff Guterriez and of course Westburg/Henderson). 

54 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, they need to bring up those three guys up and have them take their lumps over the last 12 weeks so they are ready to hit the ground running on Opening Day next year.

I want to figure out whether we can pencil in those 3 for 2B/SS/3B next year or whether they need to add a veteran infielder in the offseason.

Urias and Mateo should be fighting for the utility infielder spot next year but they could probably carry all 5 of them if they felt so inclined.

Nevin is not a big leaguer on a team that hopes to compete. He is a short term fill in for when your 3rd baseman gets hurt. Odor is the same, but at second. Guys that are potentially slightly over replacement level but don't hit enough or play enough defensive positions well enough to carry on a Major League bench.

Good post. I am higher on Mateo’s potential however. Off-season hitting instruction? Cuban players always take longer to blossom. No way in the world do I not cover Mateo in the off-season. 

3 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Replace Nevin and arauz with Gunnar and Jordan. Move Gunnar/Urias to third, Jordan/Odor to second, Mateo/Jordan at short.

it sure would be nice. 

Elias made a point in his last interview to say they like Westburg & Henderson alternating at  SS/3b at every level they played so my guess is you will see that at the major league level to start. 

Urias is much better at 2b. 

The thing about odor is his chemistry on the team. You can’t disturb that. That’d be like not signing markakis and Cruz. But he doesn’t have to play every day. I think having a bonafide short stop at 2b in Westburg and replacing Nevin/arauz with Henderson/Urias at third.. that’d be nasty