Stacking up the O's record

wildcard

58 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Sign and trades aren't a thing in MLB as far as I know. You either trade him now or you sign or lose him after the season.

If the O's sign Mancini in the next three weeks  for one or more years he can be traded in the off season.  I don't know of any reason that can not happen.  Or they can decide to keep him for the term of the contract.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's sign Mancini in the next three weeks  for one or more years he can be traded in the off season.  I don't know of any reason that can not happen.  Or they can decide to keep him for the term of the contract.

That can happen, but it's really just trading a player with years left on his current contract. They could do the same with Mullins right now. I'm just not sure why you'd do that.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:57 AM, Bahama O's Fan said:

And in April we lost games by a close margin too:

2-1 Rays

5-3 Rays

5-4 Brewers

4-2 Brewers

2-1 Athletics

6-4 Athletics

7-6 Angels

3-1 Red Sox

So that's 8 games that were losses that we were competitive in as well.

We've also had extremely close wins during the 7 game winning streak that have involved good fortune.  The close games thing is a wash for me, at best. 

7 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

We've also had extremely close wins during the 7 game winning streak that have involved good fortune.  The close games thing is a wash for me, at best. 

Agreed …would love to see us win 10 more in a row. But, just continue to play quality baseball everyday and not be talked into doing anything stupid

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

That can happen, but it's really just trading a player with years left on his current contract. They could do the same with Mullins right now. I'm just not sure why you'd do that.

The O's would sign Mancini because they believe he is an important player that they want with them for the 2022 pennant race.  Also they don't want him to walk after the season and get nothing in return.

But he would be available for trade after the season for younger player(s) if the deal is right.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The O's would sign Mancini because they believe he is an important player that they want with them for the 2022 pennant race.  Also they don't want him to walk after the season and get nothing in return.

But he would be available for trade after the season for younger player(s) if the deal is right.  

When has a team ever traded a player right before the start of a new contract?  Sounds like a pretty classless move if Mancini is under the impression that he’s staying in Baltimore. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

When has a team ever traded a player right before the start of a new contract?  Sounds like a pretty classless move if Mancini is under the impression that he’s staying in Baltimore. 

I agree with this.  I have some vague recollection that Boston did it once about 20 years ago, but I’m not sure I’m right.  

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fangraphs now has the Orioles’ playoff chances at 1.5%.   We broke the magic 1% barrier — woo hoo!

I remember when the odds were totally against us in 2012, even though the team maintained a great record. Then finally all those sites started bumping the "chances" up until we clinched a spot. But not until really late in the season.

I think the team has closer to a 25-40% chance based on talent, and the minor leaguers that will be promoted soon. I thought this was a playoff caliber team a month ago when we were closer to 10 games under .500. The Red Sox, Jays, and Rays are all not all that great and have major flaws. And once we promote Westburg and Vavra, we have the deepest lineup in the AL East. Yes, including the Yankees.

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Mancini is absolutely not under any impression whatsoever that he's staying in Baltimore. In every interview this season, from spring training until recently, he's made it clear that he understands he may not be staying with the team. He knows it's a possibility he could be traded.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

I wouldn't say they get nothing in return.

If you keep him you get two months of a solid bat and veteran leadership on a team with an outside chance of making the playoffs

If you trade him now you probably get a prospect that falls outside of your top ten

Deciding what is more important is a debatable point, which makes this time of the year fun.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

If the Orioles were going to extend Mancini it would already be done. If they do now I’ll go to my local watering hole and by the bar a round of drinks for being wrong. The likelihood of that is so low it can t be measured in percentages.

12 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

That's very Marlins-y.  Sign a guy, clearly telling him that he's a key part of the future (despite him being over 30 and a high risk to underperform any extension).  Then turn around three months later and say "just kidding, enjoy Milwaukee!" I hope that's not Elias' style.

8 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Mancini is absolutely not under any impression whatsoever that he's staying in Baltimore. In every interview this season, from spring training until recently, he's made it clear that he understands he may not be staying with the team. He knows it's a possibility he could be traded.

In one sense being a professional athlete is like being in the military.  You know there's a high likelihood that you're moving every few years and you'll have to get adjusted to a new home, new friends, your family gets a new neighborhood and schools, wife is forced to get a new job.  Sometimes this just comes out of nowhere.  That's just how it works.

14 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Their pythag almost exactly matches their real record.  They're not over- or under-performing their runs scored and allowed.  You could look at that as saying their luck is about dead even.