Rutschman vs Witt

Filmstudy

W/R/T the pitchers being tougher to catch…On Adley’s Baseball Savant page, they have a breakdown of the blocking broken down into easy, medium and hard.

This year, compared to last year, easy is up and medium and hard are down. 

In the blocks above average break down, last year had 7 easy, 6 medium and 5 tough.

This year it’s 4 easy, 1 medium and -1 tough.

His easy block% is 60th in baseball And it’s actually higher this year.  He is top 10 in medium and tough block%.

So basically, he does a good job on harder ones and a poor job on easier ones and the stats say that the blocks are easier this year than last year, which seems to put a hole in the whole maybe the pitchers are harder concept.

Not sure about framing or technique but I was wondering why his home and away stats are so different ?  I was wondering if his is the most in terms of differential, home and away. I can't explain it but many people smarter then me on here. 

OPS: Home : 9th best Away: 16th worst

AVG: Home: 7th best Away: 15th worst

OBP:  Home :6th best Away ; 69th worst

SLG : Home : 14th best Away : 7th worst.

That is with minimum AB's. Adley does walk on the road,so his .OBP is not bad compared to his other road stats.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

W/R/T the pitchers being tougher to catch…On Adley’s Baseball Savant page, they have a breakdown of the blocking broken down into easy, medium and hard.

This year, compared to last year, easy is up and medium and hard are down. 

In the blocks above average break down, last year had 7 easy, 6 medium and 5 tough.

This year it’s 4 easy, 1 medium and -1 tough.

His easy block% is 60th in baseball And it’s actually higher this year.  He is top 10 in medium and tough block%.

So basically, he does a good job on harder ones and a poor job on easier ones and the stats say that the blocks are easier this year than last year, which seems to put a hole in the whole maybe the pitchers are harder concept.

I already have all these stats in my earlier post.  But I’m confused why you say he does a good job on harder ones and a poor job on easier ones.  He’s +4 on easy ones — that’s good, not bad.  And he’s -1 on tough ones — that’s not good, though -1 isn’t the end of the world. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I already have all these stats in my earlier post.  But I’m confused why you say he does a good job on harder ones and a poor job on easier ones.  He’s +4 on easy ones — that’s good, not bad.  And he’s -1 on tough ones — that’s not good, though -1 isn’t the end of the world. 

Its a comp to last year and to his peers.

WRT to block% on easy ones, he is 60th in the league this year. Funny enough, he was 66th last year but he still blocked more.

Realmuto might be the gold standard and it is fair to hold Adley accountable to it. In that case, though, it would be proper to say "not the best." "Awful" would be Severino. I don't like "lazy" because that suggests a subjective attitude which can be very difficult to prove. At least great/average/awful have objective reference points. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Right, which is why I wanted Witt over him. Longer career and likely better/longer peak.

And yes, I agree he needs real days off..Hyde did him a disservice early in the year imo.

Longer career doesn't matter...we wouldn't have either past their FA year. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s an excuse because anyone watching can see the issue. It’s not like Adley is doing everything correctly and the ball is still getting by him because it’s thrown so far off or something like that.

He is just not doing it properly and anyone can see that if they are paying attention  and being honest about it.

Realamuto (or whoever you want to use)  is generally regarded as one of, if not the best defensive C in baseball.  That is THE standard we should be holding Adley to. When holding someone to the standard of being the best of the best, you don’t find reasons to blame someone else. The blame goes on that person and that person has to overcome it because that’s what being the best is.  

Is there any evidence at all that suggests the Os have a staff that is “tough to catch”? Is there any evidence that says their staff is harder than others?

Just the other night…..Bautista has 7 WP this year v 2 last year.  I can remember at least 2 pitches Fuji has launched to the backstop.  

Bradish + GRod alone have increased stuff+ of staff.  

IMG_2540.jpeg

Edited by emmett16

Just now, emmett16 said:

Just the lathe night…..Bautista has 7 WP this year v 2 last year.  I can remember at least 2 pitches Fuji has launched to the backstop.  

Bradish + GRod alone have increased stuff+ of staff.  

IMG_2540.jpeg

The stats don’t bear out that you are right.

His chances are easier this year. Choose to ignore that if you want and continue to frame whatever narrative you choose.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

His chances are easier this year. Choose to ignore that if you want and continue to frame whatever narrative you choose.

Ah, so now we are back to “the stats” and not “you’re not watching the games” Argument.  Plenty of stats in my previous posts for you to peruse, if you so desire. 

Your projection onto others as painting a narrative while painting the narrative that Witt would have been a better pick is pretty funny.  No one is painting any narrative or making any excuses.  People are looking at the stats objectively and discussing why the results have born out differently this year.   That’s it.  No one has said Adley is the best or have compared him to the best.  As far as I can see, most people agree his performance has been down from last year. 

I guess at the end of the day the catching position is just overrated and we should have picked Witt.😂 

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Ah, so now we are back to “the stats” and not “you’re not watching the games” Argument.  Plenty of stats in my previous posts for you to peruse, if you so desire. 

Your projection onto others as painting a narrative while painting the narrative that Witt would have been a better pick is pretty funny.  No one is painting any narrative or making any excuses.  People are looking at the stats objectively and discussing why the results have born out differently this year.   That’s it.  No one has said Adley is the best or have compared him to the best.  As far as I can see, most people agree his performance has been down from last year. 

I guess at the end of the day the catching position is just overrated and we should have picked Witt.😂 

No, you aren’t discussing why the stats are different. You are trying to find excuses to absolve him of reasons why the stats are worse. That’s where I have the issue.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has had more “tough blocks” than anyone in the league this year.  1.4% of total attempts. Alvarez, Contreras, & Murphy are close.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/catcher-blocking?game_type=Regular&n=q&season_end=2023&season_start=2023&split=no&team=&type=Cat&with_team_only=1&sortColumn=freq_pbwp_3_tough&sortDirection=desc

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

He has had more “tough blocks” than anyone in the league this year.  1.4% of total attempts. Alvarez, Contreras, & Murphy are close.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/catcher-blocking?game_type=Regular&n=q&season_end=2023&season_start=2023&split=no&team=&type=Cat&with_team_only=1&sortColumn=freq_pbwp_3_tough&sortDirection=desc

Yea and the number was 1.9% last year and he did a better job.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea and the number was 1.9% last year and he did a better job.

15 more “tough blocks” last year than this year out of 3000+ opportunities.  I’m not gonna let that ruffle my feathers or point to that as a significant (or really any)drop off in performance.  

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

That's 1.4% of opportunities. So he is getting as many tough opportunities as anyone (although fewer than last year, 1.9%). Basically it appears last year he had a crazy high number of tough opportunities and made a crazy good number of them. I am not going to call him awful or anything but I agree they should be looking at tape comparing this year and last year and see if there is anything he could do better.