Joey Ortiz in July

wildcard

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In the power rankings thread.  Thought about that last night.

The higher an OPS goes, the harder it is to move the needle.  His OPS is .716 two-thirds of the way through the season, so he’ll need to posi an OPS of about .968 the rest of the season to get over .800 for the year.   Pretty tall order.  

Ahhh, thank you for scratching that itch. Since I wrote that, Ortiz has a 1.145 OPS in 17 games.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

And if he had a 1.000 August?   Right now he’s at 1.159 after last night’s display.  

I can’t find it right now, but somewhere you speculated about Ortiz finishing with an OPS over .800 and I posted some rough calculation of what he’d have to do the rest of the season in order to get there.   It seemed like a pretty tall order at the time, even though Ortiz had been hot for a good while.   As of today, he’s at .791 and there’s still 28 games to play.  The math no longer seems very daunting.  

Yeah at this point, I’d be surprised if he didn’t finish with an .800 OPS, unless they move him to Norfolk soon. 

Ok RZNJ, you may be correct. He’s starting to seem like a very legit prospect. 

3 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

With him turning 24 in July and the current hot streak, I'm surprised the Orioles have not moved him up to let him either succeed or fail forward in 100 or so AAA PAs.

I think it’s a matter of the O’s wanting to keep their SS options open with Henderson, Westburg and Ortiz, but not wanting to go back to splitting the SS reps three ways like they did before Hrnderson and Ortiz moved to Norfolk.   It may not be a coincidence that Ortiz started hitting as soon as those promotions occurred and he was able to settle in as the everyday SS for Bowie.