Thursday afternoon, July 28: homestand ends with Mo Gaba Day vs Rays

SteveA

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I guess it looked like a routine fly ball so the CF wasn't covering.  Trey has to be one of the slowest O's to ever hit an inside the park HR.

I would not know whom to put money on if he and Wieters had a race around the base paths. Both look like they're hauling a bag of concrete under each arm. Or full milk pails. 

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I guess it looked like a routine fly ball so the CF wasn't covering.  Trey has to be one of the slowest O's to ever hit an inside the park HR.

On August 16, 1969, burly Baltimore Orioles slugger Boog Powell, who weighs 250 pounds, hits an two run inside-the-park home run at Sicks Stadium in the 9th inning off former teammate Steve Barber. The slow-footed Powell’s rare use of speed helps the Orioles to a 15-3 win over the Seattle Pilots.

https://thisdayinbaseball.com/burly-baltimore-orioles-slugger-boog-powell-hits-an-inside-park-homerun/

Hate to rain on the parade, but shouldn't that have been scored an error on the outfielder?  It was as routine a fly as you can get and it hit him right in the face....   I know, home team scoring is charitable, but come on, that's an error....

3 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Hate to rain on the parade, but shouldn't that have been scored an error on the outfielder?  It was as routine a fly as you can get and it hit him right in the face....   I know, home team scoring is charitable, but come on, that's an error....

The ball that hit Canseco in the head and went over the wall wasn't an error.

The official scorer has a lot of leeway when it comes to what is an error.

As Can of Corn correctly points out, the ball that hit Canseco in the head and bounced over the wall on May 26, 1993 was not scored an error.  That was a night game, so whatever the reason was for Canseco not catching the ball, it wasn't because he lost it in the sun.

The claim was made earlier that a fielder can't be charged with an error if he loses the ball in the sun.  Not sure if that's true or not - I read the rule, and it doesn't make any mention one way or the other about losing the ball in the sun.  It is true that the rule leaves a good bit up to the judgment of the scorer.

44 minutes ago, WillyM said:

As Can of Corn correctly points out, the ball that hit Canseco in the head and bounced over the wall on May 26, 1993 was not scored an error.  That was a night game, so whatever the reason was for Canseco not catching the ball, it wasn't because he lost it in the sun.

The claim was made earlier that a fielder can't be charged with an error if he loses the ball in the sun.  Not sure if that's true or not - I read the rule, and it doesn't make any mention one way or the other about losing the ball in the sun.  It is true that the rule leaves a good bit up to the judgment of the scorer.

Can’t be charged with an error is an overstatement.  Usually, if a player loses a ball in the sun, he isn’t charged with an error because the result isn’t seen as being due to the lack of skill of the player.  And I do think that’s what happened on this play.  

2 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Historically,  when a ball is lost in the lights, sun, etc. the batter is given the benefit of the doubt and it is not called an error.  I do not know why it is usually ruled that way, but for sure it is.  Not EVERY time, but usually.

Part of the logic may be that the batter participated in making the play extra difficult. One might liken hitting a ball high enough such that it gets lost in the lights/sun to hitting a ball so hard that the third baseman can only smack the liner out of the air, rather than catch it cleanly. We rarely demand that the latter be called an error because the batter made it to exceptionally difficult for the fielder.