Comeback wins

Frobby

The Orioles broadcasters have been touting repeatedly the number of comeback wins the Orioles have had, but it’s really not all that many in the scheme of things.   They’ve had 23 comeback wins, on pace for 37.   Here’s how many we had in 2012-16:

2012 - 43

2013 - 43

2014 - 41

2015 - 34

2016 - 42

In MLB this year, there have been 598 comeback wins, or 20 per team.  So it’s not like 23 is some big outlier.  

The bigger outlier is how rarely the O’s have allowed the other team a comeback win — only 14 times so far this year.  That projects to 23 for the season.  During 2012-16:

2012 - 29

2013 - 46

2014 - 25

2015 - 35

2016 - 28

This team has been great at protecting leads.   

• Upvote 1

I also think counting being down 2-0 after the first “a comeback win” is generous.  Sure, by the technical sense it is a “comeback” But in my mind a comeback win is when you are down after 7 to win in the 8th or 9th.  That’s the stat I’d like to see. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, scottbbfm said:

I also think counting being down 2-0 after the first “a comeback win” is generous.  Sure, by the technical sense it is a “comeback” But in my mind a comeback win is when you are down after 7 to win in the 8th or 9th.  That’s the stat I’d like to see. 

Easily found.  We are 6-41 when trailing after 7, 2-41 when trailing after 8.  Go here  and scroll down to “inning-by-inning W-L.”

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, scottbbfm said:

The two runs scored in the first but we we didn't score until the top of the 6th. Definitely a comeback.