Adley Rutschman’s “First Half”

Frobby

Adley Rutschman joined the team for Game 41.   There have been 61 games since then, 61 to go.   So, this thread is just to mark where he was at the halfway point in his season.

54 games, 216 PA, .246/.343/.433, 120 OPS+, .340 wOBA, .337 xwOBA, 120 wRc+, 18 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 24 BB, 40 K’s, 2.1 rWAR, 2.0 fWAR.

16 SB, 5 CS, 0 PB, 9 WP, 15 Asst., 3 errors, +2 Rtot, +5 Rdrs, +3.5 Fangraphs framing in 373.1 innings caught, +5.6 Fangraphs defense.

Also, the team (51-50) is 31-23 when Adley has played, 29-22 when he starts (22-19 when he starts at C, 7-3 when he starts at DH).   

He’s on pace for 4.2 rWAR, 4.0 fWAR by the end of the season, but playing at a rate of 5.6 rWAR, 5.4 fWAR over a 162 run season when you factor in the 40 games he missed.  

I’ll revisit this when the season ends to see how his “second half” compares.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Think there is a fairly good chance Adley winds up top 3 in AL rookie of the year (see Franco last year)

If his August/September are anything like July I'd say it's likely.  Pena has really struggled offensively the past two months and if voters look at more than just the surface stats he's already produced more value than Witt Jr despite playing in a lot less games.

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'm enjoying watching him play. Love the youthful enthusiasm. Hope his hitting continues to trend up to where he can put up a 850-900 OPS over a full season

I'd say there's a non-zero chance he can still get to that this year.  He'd have to continue to improve at the pace that he has been.

I think he has the best batting eye of any Oriole player I've ever seen.  Granted, I'm only in my early 40's.  But it's not a strike, he doesn't swing.  His pitch recognition is amazing.  

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I'd say there's a non-zero chance he can still get to that this year.  He'd have to continue to improve at the pace that he has been.

I think he has the best batting eye of any Oriole player I've ever seen.  Granted, I'm only in my early 40's.  But it's not a strike, he doesn't swing.  His pitch recognition is amazing.  

The Orioles I grew up with in the 1970s had consistently outstanding strikezone judgment and ground down opposing pitching staffs with pitch count before it was widely known to be important.  During their 18 consecutive winning seasons (1968-85), they outwalked their opponents every single season and if I recall the average difference was 123 per season.

Buford, Rettenmund, Crowley, FRobby, BRobby, Johnson, Singleton, Powell, Grich, Murray, Lowenstein, Roenicke,, Dwyer, Young and others all had terrific walk rates.  I'm probably missing some just going from my head.

I used to say the dynasty was built on the walk and it's great to see the Orioles drafting hitters with plate discipline again after a long dry spell of walk rates.