So now that the signing period for the 2022 MLB Draft is over, who were our over slots?

In back-to-back years the Orioles have allowed the pick I wanted them to select to go to the Arizona Diamondbacks (Lawler and Jones). I feel like Cowser was selected in part as an under slot selection, but I am not sold that is why Holliday was selected (even though we signed him a bit under slot). With the money we saved with Holliday, who did we select that required an over slot to be lured away from college? And as a second question, how does anyone in the know feel about those selections?

I get the idea behind having more irons in the fire with guys with future talent instead of that #1 pick, but sometimes, I just want them to pick the player that everyone in the nation views are the can't miss prospect. I know Jones got hurt, but that was likely a freak injury verses a systemic one. I guess I find my myself dreaming of an Orioles program that included Henderson, Rodriguez, Lawler and Jones all in the top-10 of the top overall prospects in the game. The Orioles using someone like Lawler to headline the trade for an established star.  With that said, I am still excited over our system and will wait for the outcome of the international signing period before I pass judgement. 

18 hours ago, GoldGlove21 said:

In back-to-back years the Orioles have allowed the pick I wanted them to select to go to the Arizona Diamondbacks (Lawler and Jones). I feel like Cowser was selected in part as an under slot selection, but I am not sold that is why Holliday was selected (even though we signed him a bit under slot). With the money we saved with Holliday, who did we select that required an over slot to be lured away from college? And as a second question, how does anyone in the know feel about those selections?

I get the idea behind having more irons in the fire with guys with future talent instead of that #1 pick, but sometimes, I just want them to pick the player that everyone in the nation views are the can't miss prospect. I know Jones got hurt, but that was likely a freak injury verses a systemic one. I guess I find my myself dreaming of an Orioles program that included Henderson, Rodriguez, Lawler and Jones all in the top-10 of the top overall prospects in the game. The Orioles using someone like Lawler to headline the trade for an established star.  With that said, I am still excited over our system and will wait for the outcome of the international signing period before I pass judgement. 

Here are most of the signings with bonuses and slot values:

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-2022-draft-signings-tracker

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Not happy that all the players the O's didn't sign were pitchers.  Doesn't help the already pitching poor farm system.  Elias should have a senior sign or 2 in the top 10 rounds to free up more overslot money. 

Just traded for 6 pitchers and signed 3 UDFA pitchers.

• Upvote 3

On 8/2/2022 at 11:37 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

We'll see in a few years if going so far overslot for a college SS who hit .207 is a good idea.  He got comp round money.  Maybe Elias sees something, but not sure .207 translates well to the majors.  Would have much rather signed a high ceiling SP w/ the money.

Have you seen him play SS? His defense is superb. The offensive numbers were down his Sophomore year due to injury and that is why he was not a 1st or second round pick. This guy is a sleeper pick that most folks thought would go to LSU for his Jr. year. This is a player to watch moving forward. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Have you seen him play SS? His defense is superb. The offensive numbers were down his Sophomore year due to injury and that is why he was not a 1st or second round pick. This guy is a sleeper pick that most folks thought would go to LSU for his Jr. year. This is a player to watch moving forward. 

He's a longshot as most picks after the first round are.  The Orioles took players with upside and he's got some.   Between him, Fabian, and Beavers, you have 3 guys with upside but also a lot of bust potential.   Wagner seems like the safest pick of the bunch to me.

On 8/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, Jim'sKid26 said:

He hurt his shoulder in early 2021 and came back in 21.   2022 season should have been injury free.  His entire college career was both avg hit tool.  Hopefully they can tweak his swing for more contact.   Seems like a Grenier type player.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

He hurt his shoulder in early 2021 and came back in 21.   2022 season should have been injury free.  His entire college career was both avg hit tool.  Hopefully they can tweak his swing for more contact.   Seems like a Grenier type player.

Yeah, fearful another Grenier outcome. Anyone know if he started any onboarding camp yet?

On 8/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, WI O’s Fan said:

Not at all like Grenier. Way more athletic and upside in all phases, but not as steady a defender as a college player.