Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Only thing that makes sense is that he’s a McKenna replacement. 

A more expensive McKenna replacement that is about the same ballplayer or an even worse one doesn't make sense.

Maybe Elias was working on a trade for an outfielder that fell through before the trade deadline and Phillips was going to be a fill in for the next two months. 🤷‍♂️

Has anyone figured this out yet? I feel like I'm going insane.

It seems to me that Diaz will be optioned which, fine, whatever. But then are we just not going to call up Stowers this year? We're going to play Brett Phillips and Ryan McKenna instead?  

Is there even really a service time reason to do that? And if so, why not just play Diaz? What is two months of Phillips doing for your club exactly?

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Only thing that makes sense is that he’s a McKenna replacement. 

Why do people hate McKenna? Have you looked at the offensive numbers of both players? McKenna is a perfectly adequate defense/speed bench outfielder. Phillips is that also, except one of the absolute worst hitters to ever set foot on a baseball field. He's a jester in cleats.

And no I don't care about his defense because he should never see enough playing time for that to matter.

Edited by interloper

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

It seems to me that Diaz will be optioned which, fine, whatever. But then are we just not going to call up Stowers this year? We're going to play Brett Phillips and Ryan McKenna instead? 

There's not even a service time reason to do that right?

I am right there with you, it will be interesting to see who is on the active roster tomorrow evening.  I would like to see what we have in Diaz, at least give him a few game, if he is over matched so be it but this seems like the last chance we might have to see what we have.  I also figured moving Mancini makes room to give Stowers a chance.

Instead we are going to add Phillips to the roster, remove Diaz and leave Stowers in the minors? To top it all of it appears they want nothing to do with playing Vavra at 2B so add him to the OF glut. 

5 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

A lot of strong opinions here for a smallball deal where we didn't give up a player. It's $100k and a modest salary for a player who got 2.4WAR just a year ago. My guess is McKenna gets sent down, and they try to fix Phillips' bat while he plays some late-inning defense.

The strong opinions are not about what we gave up it's about him taking playing time from guys like Stowers, Vavra, or even Diaz. What is the point? Phillips makes sense for a playoff club in need of a bench guy but he doesn't benefit us. He actively hinders the rebuild.

It's the only move from Elias I have truly hated. 

Edited by interloper

10 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

A lot of strong opinions here for a smallball deal where we didn't give up a player. It's $100k and a modest salary for a player who got 2.4WAR just a year ago. My guess is McKenna gets sent down, and they try to fix Phillips' bat while he plays some late-inning defense.

I mean, Phillips sucks but this is more about who is blocking than him.

If they had traded Mullins, it would have been fine to pick him up.  It would have made some sense. 

But you traded no OFers and you have guys who need to come up and yet you brought him on?

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Is there any reason they couldn’t option Nevin? 

He's kind of your backup 1B but maybe. 

Or DFA Odor, Vavra slides to 2B, Phillips fills Vavra's current role. Still stupid but at least you're playing Vavra consistently.

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

He's kind of your backup 1B but maybe. 

Or DFA Odor, Vavra slides to 2B, Phillips becomes fills Vavra's current role. Still stupid but at least you're playing Vavra consistently.

It just doesn’t seem like they have any desire to see Vavra play 2B in Baltimore, not one inning there since he has been up. Pretty sure Santander or Adley can slide over and finish a game at 1B if necessary. 

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is there even really a service time reason to do that? And if so, why not just play Diaz? What is two months of Phillips doing for your club exactly?

My theory is Elias was working on a trade involving one of the Orioles outfielders that fell through and Phillips was going to help fill the roster gap for the next two months. 

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Seriously. This makes absolutely no sense. I logged in for the first time in years to agree with your "I feel like I'm going insane." We already have a long line of outfielders who need playing time to see what they're worth, McKenna, Diaz, Stowers, Vavra. One of the benefits to moving Trey is we now have an extra spot for these young guys to show what they got. If I see a line up including both Odor and Brett Phillips, I will lose some faith in Hyde, who I currently like a lot. And yes, I realize that this could be an Elias situation, obviously the move to get Phillips is, so if necessary swap out Hyde for Elias in the previous sentence. 

• Upvote 1