Playing complimentary baseball

Sports Guy

That’s why the new Orioles are going to be better that the “pie in the face” Orioles. They pitch good enough, they have a good bullpen, but what separates them from the past Orioles is they’re not nearly as reliant on the HR and they steal bases. This brand of baseball can succeed in the postseason.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they can continue to play this way and actually add real talent to the team, they are going to be really tough to beat.

Defense will continue to be something that isn’t valued enough imo but it’s so vital to things.

I've said this elsewhere, but if I were Elias, I'd make sure all of:

Hall

Stowers

Henderson

Rodriguez 

are on the roster and eligible for the playoffs. We'd be a different team by playoff time, but one that is more capable of going toe to toe with the big boys. I'd figure out the innings as I go.

The Rays had David Price come out of the bullpen for one of their runs. He was electric. We can do that too.

• Upvote 2

O's staff are 12th in the AL out of 15 teams in K's with 839, so they need to play very strong defense to keep all those balls in play from falling in. They are 4th in Walks allowed so that is helping their cause alot. They are 10th in FIP at 4.10. All this suggests they need a very good defense going forward. 

• Upvote 1

I was thinking sort of along these lines earlier this morning. There is a reason why this is working the way it is. Complementary baseball is a good way to describe it. 

You can see that our philosophy with the starting pitchers is to be extremely conservative. Try to live on the edge of the strike zone (everyone does, I know), and just do your absolute best to give them nothing to hit hard. It results in a high pitch count because we don't have many (any?) starters that are really capable of attacking hitters and being aggressive in the zone with elite stuff. So we are lucky when a starter gets 15 outs, but it's also why most starters end up getting somewhere around 12-15.

Then we get into an elite bullpen, and our best bullpen arms only throw a dozen or so pitches on a given night, and that's enough to get them through their 2-4 outs. Their stuff allows them to be aggressive in the zone, and they either get the K on 4-5 pitches, or they induce weak contact for a quick out.

As SG noted, we play mostly good defense, turn a zillion double plays, and have good team speed to support the pitching staff. Very few bonehead plays defensively, which is good. Not beating ourselves and giving us a chance to stay in games.

Offensively, we are doing just enough. We aren't scoring a ton of runs, but enough to scratch out a W more often than not lately. 

This may not get us far if we do find ourselves in the post season (that tends to have a more tried and true formula), but it's working right now. 

Edited by Sanfran327
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t know anything about QAA but if Schoop, an aging, limited defensive player even in his prime, is #1 in baseball doesn’t that make you skeptical of the whole formula?

OAA takes the ball's trajectory, velocity and hang time, the player's positioning prior to contact, how far the ball is going to land from the fielder's starting spot, and determines a catch likelihood based on all the data compiled in the majors over some period of time.  

So, basically, a ball hit 25' from Cedric Mullins with a hang time of 2.3 seconds has X% catch probability based on all the data of similar balls hit in the majors.  The fielder is credited or debited OAA based on how likely it was that he catches that ball.

It's exactly what you want out of a defensive metric.  I don't have any real reason to be skeptical of it. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Babkins said:

Good opening post; I agree with all of it. But I’m an English teacher and an editor, and I’m finding it impossible not to point out that the word you’re looking for is complementary.

Thank you.  I kept thinking to myself, this word doesn’t look right but it’s what auto correct kept reverting to.  

2 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

That’s why the new Orioles are going to be better that the “pie in the face” Orioles. They pitch good enough, they have a good bullpen, but what separates them from the past Orioles is they’re not nearly as reliant on the HR and they steal bases. This brand of baseball can succeed in the postseason.

There's a kernel of truth in the bolded part, but it may not be as significant as you think.  The 2014 Orioles were 11th in OBP, 2nd in SLG, 6th in runs, and 1st in homers.  The 2022 Orioles are 11th in OBP, 7th in SLG, 7th in HRs, but also 9th in runs.  So they're about the same in getting on base, worse in homers, but also they don't score as many runs relative to the league.

Yes, they are about 25 runs ahead on the bases.  2022 so far is +12 in baserunning runs, tops in the AL.  The '14 team was last at -13.

But I don't think there's any evidence that you win more in the postseason with fewer homers and more steals.  In fact, since you generally face better pitchers in the postseason sequential run scoring involving getting guys on base, stealing and getting several hits per inning is less likely to be successful than just hitting homers. However they get there you'd rather have the 6th-best scoring team come October than the 9th-best.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

OAA takes the ball's trajectory, velocity and hang time, the player's positioning prior to contact, how far the ball is going to land from the fielder's starting spot, and determines a catch likelihood based on all the data compiled in the majors over some period of time.  

So, basically, a ball hit 25' from Cedric Mullins with a hang time of 2.3 seconds has X% catch probability based on all the data of similar balls hit in the majors.  The fielder is credited or debited OAA based on how likely it was that he catches that ball.

It's exactly what you want out of a defensive metric.  I don't have any real reason to be skeptical of it. 

Schoop had average range, at best, when he was 25.  What conclusion do you draw from him being #1 in QAA?