10 Players to Watch that aren't making the Prospect Lists

ScGO's

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Seem like organizational types for the most part.  Luis Valdez is somewhat interesting.   I think he’s the one guy mentioned whom could turn into something.

Welk's missed a lot of time. Could in theory be a guy who comes around still.

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Our system is very very deep right now and I think there are a few names that are being overlooked.  As far as a top 50 list, I really like this Prospect List: https://baltimoresportsandlife.com/baltimore-orioles-top-50-prospects-august-2022/

I am going to use the above list and Tony's Prospect lists from this season as a guide to make my list below.  The 10 names below are not found on any of the larger Top 50 or so lists I've found on the Orioles, but they are also guys that I don't think will be cut this season or in the offseason and that still may be able to produce some value at the MLB level.

Cody Roberts - Late round pick in 2019 has been hanging around and showing moderate success in the higher levels. Already 26, I'm not claiming he'll be a MLB regular, and I believe Maverick Handley is the MLB back up, but he'll probably start getting a few cups of coffee, similar to Austin Wynns type role if he keeps producing into next season at a .750 OPS clip.

Toby Welk - The D3 standout is still in the system, but has had trouble staying on the field. When he has played, he has performed fairly well, with a couple impressive hot streaks. He's 25, so he needs to stay healthy the rest of the season and see if he can press on to AAA next year.  The hit tool is still worth evaluating.

Adam Stauffer - 10.3 K/9, only 23 in AA, 3.24 ERA, 1.26 WHIP in AA this season. Has performed since arriving in the system. I think he snuck onto one of Tony's lists, maybe in 2020. Big, tall body. Not sure what report are on his velo; it was fairly average last I heard.

Easton Lucas - The small piece we got in exchange for Jonathan Villar doesn't have outstanding overall numbers, but he's also faced twice as many RH hitters than he has LH.  Lefties are only hitting a .586 OPS against him. If used in a more selective role, he might be more effective. Overall, he's averagin 9.8 K/9

Griffin McClarty - The 23 year old had a terrible start to the season hence the terrible numbers, but he also hasn't given up a run since the middle of June and he has a 11.8 K/9. K numbers have risen since he entered the system.

TT Bowens - .800+ OPS, .781 Last season. He's a bat only prospect, but he's showing a knack for getting on base, and he had 18 HRs last year compared to 7 this year in Aberdeen. If he can keep moving a level at a time and maintain an .800 OPS, he'll stay in the system as we don't have a lot of 1B prospects.

Jacob Teter - The LH swinger is another D2 stud from Florida (Shayne Fontana was a LH OF from a FL D2 that was an honorable mention on Tony's list this year). Teter is a 6'6'' 1B who has hit since he got here although in limited time. He is over .800 OPS again this season at Aberdeen. Again, with a lack of 1B prospects, he'll have a chance to develop in the system as a 23 year old.

Xavier Moore - A forgotten trade pick up for Intl Bonus Money, Xavier was a late round HS draft pick by the Rangers in 2017. Only 23, this is his first real year of success as he has pitched to a 1.69 ERA with an amazing 15.2 K/9 at Aberdeen. Not sure what his stuff looks like, but he could be a late bloomer. I think he was selected for the A+ All star game?

Luis Valdez - He has 58 SBs at Delmarva, but he's already 22. However, last year was his 1st year in pro ball in the DSL. He is getting on base at a .355 clip, so maybe he can continue to build on his speed and on base skills and try to cut down on his Ks to become a versatile bench/speed option.

Isaac Bellony - He had been productive in the DSL and FCL and was off to a great start this year in Delmarva with an OPS of .807 as a 20 year old. Then he got absolutely smoked at Aberdeen.  He needs more seasoning for sure before moving up, but I think there is a swing tool that can be developed as he was showing decent pop and on base skills at Delmarva.

Probably ought to call this list of guys, good org guys who maybe, maybe could be interesting. Roberts could possibly find his way into a cup of coffee as a back up catcher in some September in the future somewhere since he's competent defensively and can run into a fastball occasionally. Welk struggles with good offspeed pitches and now that he's moved to the outfield there is a ton of pressure on his bat. I also have questions over the bat speed now. Valdez is a slap hitter with great speed, but no real position and should especially burn his infield mitt. He'll need to get much better in the outfield to have a thought a a 4th/5th outfielder.

Bowens and Teter are guys similar to Daschbach. Bellony's inability to hit offspeed pitches had him hit a wall in Aberdeen hard.

Moore is semi-interesting since he's similar to Tate. He's gotta command better, but he can show mid-90s with a nice change on occasion or slider. He very well could get on the back of my list if he can make it to bowie and get guys out. McCarty, Lucas and Stauffer have well below average stuff and nothing to get big league hitters out with. 

But good research overall.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Probably ought to call this list of guys, good org guys who maybe, maybe could be interesting. Roberts could possibly find his way into a cup of coffee as a back up catcher in some September in the future somewhere since he's competent defensively and can run into a fastball occasionally. Welk struggles with good offspeed pitches and now that he's moved to the outfield there is a ton of pressure on his bat. I also have questions over the bat speed now. Valdez is a slap hitter with great speed, but no real position and should especially burn his infield mitt. He'll need to get much better in the outfield to have a thought a a 4th/5th outfielder.

Bowens and Teter are guys similar to Daschbach. Bellony's inability to hit offspeed pitches had him hit a wall in Aberdeen hard.

Moore is semi-interesting since he's similar to Tate. He's gotta command better, but he can show mid-90s with a nice change on occasion or slider. He very well could get on the back of my list if he can make it to bowie and get guys out. McCarty, Lucas and Stauffer have well below average stuff and nothing to get big league hitters out with. 

But good research overall.

Nice to see this solid scouting take next to their statistical success. Much clearer picture. Any other guys catching your eyes that aren't making any lists? I stayed away from the FCL and DSL when looking into this.