Meoli: What are the Orioles' top hitting prospects working on at Norfolk as they wait for a big league opportunity?

Tony-OH

34 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I think it's easier to pick five numbers and the power ball, than to figure out what Elias is doing.  

Elias is marching to his own drummer.  I don't argue with success although I thought bringing in Philips was almost an insult.

But it's really not hard to figure out.  It's service clock games, plain and simple.

I just saw this on twitter and have yet to verify it but the WAR of Mancini in Houston and Phillips here is both 0.1.  So it's been a wash.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

But it's really not hard to figure out.  It's service clock games, plain and simple.

I just saw this on twitter and have yet to verify it but the WAR of Mancini in Houston and Phillips here is both 0.1.  So it's been a wash.

Ok Moose, you got me.  What are "service clock games"?

50 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I think it's easier to pick five numbers and the power ball, than to figure out what Elias is doing.  

Elias is marching to his own drummer.  I don't argue with success although I thought bringing in Philips was almost an insult.

I really think that Elias was close to a deal on Santander or Mullins and it fell through leaving him with Phillips. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

A multitude of ways organizations can manipulate the amount of time a player is under their control before they're a free agent. 

Ok, never heard that term before.  I hate that part of baseball.  It's good for the players but it SUCKS for the fans.  What you said makes sense in today's game.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is where advanced stats occasionally lose me. What in the world has Phillips done to match Mancini’s three HR including a grand slam?  Caught a couple fly balls that he ran too real fast?  

I liked the Mancini trade. But the idea that he and Phillips have had equal value since seems ludicrous to me. Neither of them have had off the charts value but surely no one is taking Phillips over Mancini. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Ok, never heard that term before.  I hate that part of baseball.  It's good for the players but it SUCKS for the fans.  What you said makes sense in today's game.

It’s actually not good for the players either. If anything it’s better for the fans than the players because we get to watch those guys on the team for extra time. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

This is where advanced stats occasionally lose me. What in the world has Phillips done to match Mancini’s three HR including a grand slam?  Caught a couple fly balls that he ran too real fast?  

I liked the Mancini trade. But the idea that he and Phillips have had equal value since seems ludicrous to me. Neither of them have had off the charts value but surely no one is taking Phillips over Mancini. 

I agree in spirit but he's had a couple key hits.  But preventing a run is the same as scoring a run.  If what he's done in the outfield is viewed as a positive, it shouldn't be ignored no matter how painful it is to watch him hit.  

Now I'm not sure how much defense Mancini has played since arriving in Houston but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility if he's played defense, it's brought the 3 homer outburst back to earth a little bit from a WAR perspective.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree in spirit but he's had a couple key hits.  But preventing a run is the same as scoring a run.  If what he's done in the outfield is viewed as a positive, it shouldn't be ignored no matter how painful it is to watch him hit.  

Now I'm not sure how much defense Mancini has played since arriving in Houston but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility if he's played defense, it's brought the 3 homer outburst back to earth a little bit from a WAR perspective.  

Maybe I’m just forgetting those ‘key hits’. 

to be clear I see the value Phillips adds even with the terrible bat. 

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

And, if he's only at DH, he will have no defensive contribution at all.

• Upvote 1