Perspective: August 18, 2021

Frobby

Just now, RichmondVA Orio said:

Speaking of perspective, can someone tell me why the Red Sox have a POFF of 15.9% and the Orioles POFF sits tremendously lower at 3%? We are better in run differential and record. Is this a real data driven stat or something ESPN cooked up to promote their favs?

The data from before opening date is still data.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On this date last year, the Orioles lost their 14th game in a row in what ultimately became a 19-game losing streak.  

I won’t commit hari kari over two losses in a row.  

It's all about perspective. Nobody thought the O's would be in contention for a playoff spot in mid-August. Nobody. 

I'm thrilled with the meaningful baseball. I'm also aware that this drive to the postseason could run out of gas. Enjoy the ride while it lasts, take encouragement from an organization that seems to have finally turned the corner to competitiveness. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RichmondVA Orio said:

So data before opening date weighs that much more in factoring POFF than the current year’s body of work in this calculation? If so, I personally put little confidence in this metric.

Sure.

It's for entertainment purposes.

I'm sure teams have more accurate metrics.

I fear that "underplaying" the season is hindering the momentum of fan excitement catching fire like the above clip.

I feel that one of the worse things a pro sports team can do for fan enthusiasm is send a message (whether actively or passively) that the season doesn't mean. And it's that much worse when the team is in playoff contention.

As many strides as the org has made, there is going to be some work to do in the offseason to maintain and grow fan excitement so that ticket sales can increase. The people who are suggesting that the ball club maintain the status quo with the roster and only make "minimal" additions without significantly increasing spending/payroll, I hope you know this only will feed the narrative that the ball club is not all and "going cheap". And for many fans (not die hards) they will say, "why should I go all in and invest in the team (purchasing tix, merchandise, etc.) when the team is not going all in".

I have resigned myself to being patient because management is not convinced that this is not our year, but come next year if they are doing the same slow playing and not investing every resource into being the best team and achieving the highest results, it will be a different story.

I truly hope next year the objectives AND actions change.

• Upvote 1

Problem is the fans' perspective changes when they get to watch a winning baseball team. Sure everyone is happy the team is vastly improved over last season, but with the wildcard just within reach you can't help wanting more. 

As long as the team doesn't crash and burn the last month most fans will be left with a good feeling about this season. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

More perspective:  last year doesn’t matter right now.

The team has a chance to make the playoffs this year and the FO isn’t doing anything to help them. 

That’s the only perspective that matters right now imo.

Exactly. Whether this team deserves to be in this spot or not can be debated.

Not putting your best players out there is short sighted and assumes a best case scenario going into next season. It's nothing but my opinion, but if everything on all teams remained the same in a time warp, this same team could struggle to win 65 games. You can't take for granted an opportunity... expected or a surprise.

4 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Exactly. Whether this team deserves to be in this spot or not can be debated.

Not putting your best players out there is short sighted and assumes a best case scenario going into next season. It's nothing but my opinion, but if everything on all teams remained the same in a time warp, this same team could struggle to win 65 games. You can't take for granted an opportunity... expected or a surprise.

Of course.  I have said it a lot but I don’t think last years team was a 52 win team. It played out that way but play that season again and I think they could win 60-65 games.

This team is the opposite.  That’s fine, it happens that way sometimes but just because you didn’t expect this to happen doesn’t mean you don’t do what you can to take advantage of it. 

Overall, the Os have a very good record ai be the deadline and maybe it would be the same or worse if they brought up the young guys and didn’t play the vets. Who knows.  

What I do know is we have guys in the minors that are definitely more talented than the guys in the majors and those in the minors are clearly ready to come up here. 

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

More perspective:  last year doesn’t matter right now.

The team has a chance to make the playoffs this year and the FO isn’t doing anything to help them. 

That’s the only perspective that matters right now imo.

What moves do you want Elias to make today?

9 hours ago, RichmondVA Orio said:

So data before opening date weighs that much more in factoring POFF than the current year’s body of work in this calculation? If so, I personally put little confidence in this metric.

If a player has 2000 career PAs or 500 innings, and they're doing much better in 300 PAs or 75 innings this year how much weight would you give to this year compared to their prior performances?

Just now, Jagwar said:

What moves do you want Elias to make today?

Stowers and Henderson should be up.  Nevin and whoever else can go down.  

Now, we are getting closer to that 45 day cutoff and since they haven’t brought them up yet, you can argue that they can wait until then.  Every game counts though.

I think they should IL Hays.  That could be the other move.  Even if he is only out for the 10 days.  Give him a rest and let his body heal.  

Frobby pointed out yesterday how he closes well.  That’s true but if he’s hurt, he likely won’t close well.

Let him heal as much as possible.  McKenna is playing well.  You bring up Stowers.  You have replaced him at that point.