Ohtani and the on-the-market Angels

Just Regular

• 4 weeks later...

All the talk about what Judge will get in free agency has me wondering what Ohtani will be worth on the open market after the 2023 season, should he pursue free agency.   Assuming a healthy season along the lines of the last two, I’d think he’d get a bigger, longer contract than whatever Judge gets.   

On 10/1/2022 at 9:12 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

It takes skill to start with 2 of the best players in baseball and miss the playoffs every year.  I'm not sure who the best GM in baseball is, but the Angels GM should be runaway winner for worst GM.

It hasn’t been just one guy.  Billy Eppler was GM in 2018-20, Perry Minasian in 2021-22.   

Passan praise.    Just for funsies (and to showcase him for trade market?) they are letting him be the Starting Pitcher and Designated Hitter today.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34684932/how-shohei-ohtani-doing-impossible

Only Ohtani Score: 10 unicorns of 10. No one has ever qualified for the batting title and ERA titles in the same season. With one inning pitched today, Ohtani will do so.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Passan praise.    Just for funsies (and to showcase him for trade market?) they are letting him be the Starting Pitcher and Designated Hitter today.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34684932/how-shohei-ohtani-doing-impossible

Only Ohtani Score: 10 unicorns of 10. No one has ever qualified for the batting title and ERA titles in the same season. With one inning pitched today, Ohtani will do so.

Not to minimize Ohtani's accomplishments in any way, but because it's me... in the early days of professional and Major League base ball it was common for a pitcher to qualify for both.  In the very early days, the NA, the early NL, most teams had one pitcher who pitched 80-90% or even more of their innings.  In 1874 Al Splading led the league in both innings pitched (617) and plate appearances as a batter (365).  Guy Hecker won 52 games and threw 670 innings in 1884, won the batting title at .341 in 1885, and in 1882 was in the top 10 in PA/AB.

But what Ohtani is doing is something unheard of since before 1900, when playing quality and organization was comically primitive compared to today.  If Guy Hecker and the 1880s Louisvilles showed up in 2022 they'd probably slot in as a fairly competitive team in a mid-major NCAA conference.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But what Ohtani is doing is something unheard of since before 1900, when playing quality and organization was comically primitive compared to today.  If Guy Hecker and the 1880s Louisvilles showed up in 2022 they'd probably slot in as a fairly competitive team in a mid-major NCAA conference.

Fun thought exercise.    Or flip it, give Adley Rutschman and all his teammates whatever microbes they'd need not to die fast.    Who is winning the 1876 National League?    Oregon State is crushing them, I think.    Was his high school team any good?    I guess he was kind of small town in the Oregon suburbs, and Cap Anson was pretty good at getting into the other guy's heads IIRC.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Fun thought exercise.    Or flip it, give Adley Rutschman and all his teammates whatever microbes they'd need not to die fast.    Who is winning the 1876 National League?    Oregon State is crushing them, I think.    Was his high school team any good?    I guess he was kind of small town in the Oregon suburbs, and Cap Anson was pretty good at getting into the other guy's heads IIRC.

There would be an adjustment phase while the 2022 Oregon Staters adjusted to all submarine pitching from roughly 50' and flat ground by pitchers who were trying to pace themselves to throw 58 complete games in a 60-game schedule.  Also fielding on your local Little League diamond without gloves.

But after they got over that, and the 19 nagging cases of typhoid, they'd almost certainly dominate.  The median height and weight of the '76 White Stockings was 5' 8", 173 pounds. The '22 Orioles' is 6' 2", 215.  The '22 Oregon State team's size is nearly identical to the Orioles'.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There would be an adjustment phase while the 2022 Oregon Staters adjusted to all submarine pitching from roughly 50' and flat ground by pitchers who were trying to pace themselves to throw 58 complete games in a 60-game schedule.  Also fielding on your local Little League diamond without gloves.

But after they got over that, and the 19 nagging cases of typhoid, they'd almost certainly dominate.  The median height and weight of the '76 White Stockings was 5' 8", 173 pounds. The '22 Orioles' is 6' 2", 215.  The '22 Oregon State team's size is nearly identical to the Orioles'.

I'm surprised the White Stockings were that heavy.  I thought they might be more like 150 lbs.